Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

How To Break In New Leather Motorcycle Jacket?

17K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Lockjaw 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Everyone,

I am a huge fan of British Leathers and have been using their jackets since the 1980s. So when I was planning my coast to coast ride next month I turned to British Leathers for a cool jacket for the event. Since I am riding a very old motorcycle I wanted a jacket that looked like the style of the bike. They recommended the bike Jacket in horsehide and brown finish. I got it and they really built one beautiful and strong jacket. The only problem is that horsehide, while strong as any other leather, is stiff and hard when new.

Thanks a lot
Sara Chang

#2 ·
Wear it a lot. And sweat. There are other ways, but that is the cheapest and easiest (and most effective) I have found. I realize you are dealing with a time crunch, but that should be enough time. Wear it every day.

#6 ·
Was the 'Stitch made of horsehide also, like Sara Chang's jacket, Sleddog?

Technique might work, whether on leather or textile jackets.

Horsehide, at least in shoe leather (Cordovan), has unique characteristics--fine grain structure, making it neo-waterproof, especially good in the snow, in my experience. Oughta be good for an all-weather motorcycle jacket!

#8 ·
Sara… this is going to sound crazy.. but this is the best trick ever…
Put the jacket in the sink with REALY HOT water….. Let the leather get nice and soft. As soon as the jacket cools to the point you can stand…. Meaning still hot but you can put the coat on. …. Throw it on an head out for a ride….As the coat cools it will form to your body ….. You will LOVE it after… sucks at first but then years of comfort.

#9 ·
I thought about that. Weird type of leather, though. I've done that with boots. I think it's a good call. :35a:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.