Experiences with a 16 tooth wanted [Archive] - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum

: Experiences with a 16 tooth wanted

Slaghammer
10-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Sorry but all of the archives to search are gone. As any trails are about 2 hours away, I'm giving some thought to running a 16 tooth for a less " busy " ride at higher speeds. Never carry a passenger. Just wanted to hear from those who have, or are using a 16. I'm aware running at higher RPMs is not a problem but just looking for a more relaxed higher speed ride. Sure appreciate comments from thos who have tried a 16 tooth. Many thanks.

Bones
10-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Tried it hated it. Gave it to another wanting to do it and he hated it also. It hurt the powerband a lot and it felt like a slug.

Biker Scout
10-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I put about 300+ miles on my bike a week. I like the 16T for commuting. It doesn't bother me that it's not a high speed hooligan machine anymore. I don't ride that way, but since I'm using it primarily for the road during the week, I invested in a 14T for the weekend. I also got the Prevailing Torque Nut for easy trail side replacement. I'm probably going to cut a hole in the sproket cover large enough to be able to swap them out without having to pull the cover off.

Slaghammer
10-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Tried it hated it. Gave it to another wanting to do it and he hated it also. It hurt the powerband a lot and it felt like a slug.

Hurt the powerband in what way ?

Biker Scout
10-09-2006, 01:38 PM
It just means that it's not as Peppy in certain RPM ranges. It's really only noticable when you are lugging the engine in the wrong gear.

Gadget
10-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I love my 16T. I do mostly commuting and endurance riding, and the boost in fuel mileage and the more 'relaxed' rpm's are great. I don't really notice a difference in off-the-line power, and I can still out-accelerate most cagers. I did a bit of light off road riding yesterday, and I did notice that I had to rev the engine a bit more to avoid lugging the engine in the dirt and sand that I was in, but again, this isn't much of a problem for me as I don't do a lot of off-road riding.

If you want to try out a 16T sprocket, then go ahead and buy one as they are not that expensive. If you find that you don't like it, let me know and I will buy it from you to keep as a spare for when my current one wears out.

Bones
10-09-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm probably going to cut a hole in the sproket cover large enough to be able to swap them out without having to pull the cover off.
You still have the side cover? :lol: I live on the edge I tell ya

Slaghammer
10-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I love my 16T. I do mostly commuting and endurance riding, and the boost in fuel mileage and the more 'relaxed' rpm's are great. I don't really notice a difference in off-the-line power, and I can still out-accelerate most cagers. I did a bit of light off road riding yesterday, and I did notice that I had to rev the engine a bit more to avoid lugging the engine in the dirt and sand that I was in, but again, this isn't much of a problem for me as I don't do a lot of off-road riding.

If you want to try out a 16T sprocket, then go ahead and buy one as they are not that expensive. If you find that you don't like it, let me know and I will buy it from you to keep as a spare for when my current one wears out.

Gadget, one of your post " over there " is what got me thinking about making the change. One concern I have is a new sprocket with 12,500 chain and excellerated wear. ( Existing chain etc are still in very good condition) Appreciate your offer but if I try it and dont like it, I'll just send it to you N/C. If no problem with existing chain, I'll just try it and see.

Biker Scout
10-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah, you kinda want to change everything at the same time. Chain, Front and Rear Sprokets.

I got my sprokets from dirtparts@yahoo.com. I think I paid a whopping $16 for it. But Fred also sells them at ArrowheadMotorsports.com

X6_Hustler
10-09-2006, 03:02 PM
I've been running a 16T for several years now. I love it and wouldn't go back. Makes a big difference on the highway and even in very deep sand I have yet to damage my clutch. Granted if I lived offroad I would go the otherway but in the real world of pavement everywhere I find it to my liking. I have no problem with power powerbands or torque. Of course if I lived in the mountains.... maybe I would feel differently.

larryboy
10-09-2006, 05:36 PM
i've got over 24k on my 16t. i've run dunes,rocks,mud,a ss1000. no problems. the 16t has lasted thru 2 chains and rear sprockets. i consistantly get better gas mileage than the 15t bikes i ride with. just recently i've started switching to a 14t for the tougher trails. i can do any trail with the 16t..my grin turns to a grimace though..the 14t puts the grin back.

the only downside that i've found is pulling really big grades at speed,5th is a little too tall and 4th a little too low. by big grades i'm talking 10% at over 5 thousand feet.

Slaghammer
10-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks to all for the replys. Ordered from Fred this A.M. :wink:

Slaghammer
10-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Installed the 16 this A.M. and did a 100 mile test ride. Should have done this 12,000 miles ago... :D :D

X6_Hustler
10-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Installed the 16 this A.M. and did a 100 mile test ride. Should have done this 12,000 miles ago... :D :D

I knew you would like it. Welcome to Club 16! :wink:

Hyperbiker
03-23-2009, 06:34 AM
TPI sells a 42t rear, 1 under stock. Whouldn't that kinda like the best of both worlds

Slvrtundevl
03-23-2009, 08:37 AM
i've got over 24k on my 16t. i've run dunes,rocks,mud,a ss1000. no problems. the 16t has lasted thru 2 chains and rear sprockets. i consistantly get better gas mileage than the 15t bikes i ride with. just recently i've started switching to a 14t for the tougher trails. i can do any trail with the 16t..my grin turns to a grimace though..the 14t puts the grin back.

the only downside that i've found is pulling really big grades at speed,5th is a little too tall and 4th a little too low. by big grades i'm talking 10% at over 5 thousand feet.

I installed my 16t last week, and am finding, I love it on the open interstate in Illinois, but I live on the Border of Missouri and Illinois. When I hit the hills in Missouri, it is Gutless....so I might be changing back....I just wish the engine has more horsepower, a good 60 HP KLR, would be perfect for me...I guess, I just need to move to a KTM or GS...But I love the KLR.....tough decisions...

byker
03-24-2009, 05:31 PM
So far so good. Relaxed on the highway with lower revs. On hard pack, gravel and such, you have to work the clutch more but the trade off is well worth it.

Hardyreels
03-25-2009, 03:05 PM
I have been running one for 10K miles and have no complaints. I like the fact that I'm not running the tach up so high when I've gotta go out on the highway. I keep motorcycles for a long time when I buy them so I see the 16T as an aid to longevity.

As for complaints about being gutless and having no power, I started riding motor cycles when most of them were gutless compared to my 06 KLR. It is smoother and more powerful than most of the bikes I owned prior to 78'

If I wanted a wild dirt machine I wouldn't have bought a KLR. If I wanted a really fast motorcycle I would have bought the Ninja.

If your debating a 16T I guess you have to ask yourself, 'do I like my KLR' if you like the bike you'll like it better when it is running faster at lower RPM.

rip-rock
03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I have a 16t /42 set up mostly flat lands so. of chicago . Here's what I've learned

!14t great dirt trails

15t factory compromise

16t highway

The big 650 is too heavy to be a dirtbike , is big enough for the highway I bought mine as an adventure tourer . I'm not scared of getting it wet/ dirty , but on the street is where I spend my time .Open up the intake and exhaust and learn which gear to be in at what speed .I did that and the only thing I could do to get more is go big bore .Guess it depends on how you want to tailor the big KLR to be.

Hardyreels
03-25-2009, 11:03 PM
RIp,

What is the 16 / 42 like on the highway? Can you quote speed ? RPM numbers. I have thought of doing that but when I go to Kenai I have to climb the mountains and am afraid it would be too high a ratio.

What difference in mpg do you experience when you run that combo, 16 / 42?

kent soignier
04-06-2009, 10:15 PM
I have not used a 16t but my gearing is much taller than 16/43. I love it.
Don't be scared.

I have recently changed from a 40t rear (for the last 6k miles) to 38t. Still have 15t c/s.
With careful riding and the 40t I got as good as 62.5mpg. Normal fun riding I usually got around 55mpg.
I have not ridden the 38t enough yet to do any mileage test. But I can say I like the way the taller gearing works.
Much better. I don't find myself looking for 6th gear as much.

I don't have any problem getting rolling or pulling away from stops. I find the engine pulls it quite nicely, it accelerates up to highway speed with stock a geared klr. did not give up anything to it. Actually it covers more ground between shifts, so you lose less time by not shifting as much.
It makes a bike much more relaxed and relaxing to cover miles on when the rpm is eased off a it. I can still wick it up and carry the mail on it too.
Not been offroad in any tight stuff yet, which I know will be a challenge, but I have a KTM for that kind of riding.
I run pavement tires, and pavement gearing, since most of my riding is on roads, paved or gravel. And all twisty.
Just my two cents

tomatocity
04-07-2009, 01:59 AM
I have been riding a 16 / 43 for more than 10,000 miles and like it a lot. Recently replaced the drive chain and rear sprocket. I had a 42 so I used it, must say I was surprised. The gear is tall enough that it can be a little bit sluggish during the start though it cruises like my DL1000. Very relaxed RPMs though the 685 helps and fills in the low RPM spots.

If you are going to ride off-road I suggest using something else. If you are commuting freeways this is worth a try.

rip-rock
04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
go to gearing commander.com and plug in the sprockets you want to run

some of the specs it gives
stock 15/43 vs. 16/42 in 2nd = 400 rpm lower 6277 vs 5885
3rd=300 rpm lower 4938 vs 4630
4th =300 rpm lower 4148 vs 3889
5th = 200 rpm lower 3440 vs 32
my notes are not clear at what speed tho you get the idea plug in the specs they ask for and you'll get alot of info out .

top speed @5th gear 15/43 94mph....16/42 101mph