1/10th of the way to a Cafe' KLR.... [Archive] - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum

: 1/10th of the way to a Cafe' KLR....

Garandman
06-03-2007, 10:30 AM
When I lived in Germany in the 80's there were plenty of small singles and twins decked out as cafe' racers. Clip on bars, sticky tires, and not much else.

I wanted to replace the front foresail - I mean stock fender - as it's ugly, ineffective for street use, and catches gusts on the highway - especially from 18 wheelers.

I bought two fenders from Maier. the first is a superbike-style that I haven't tried yet. The other was a classic cafe'-style "coffin" style. Painted it with Grabber Green Duplicolor that is holding up very well so far.

This fender has quite a bit of clearance, so even if I picked up a thick coat of mud, I don't think there'd be a problem.

Other visible mods are larger front brake, large rear rack, barkbusters, Honda XR mirrors, new rear brake bracket. Planned changes are 16 tooth sprocket, better street tires and a 19" x 2.5" wide front rim with a 110/80x19 section. Progressive front springs, need to change the oil!

http://www.geocities.com/theseventhfirst/KLR_RS_800.jpg

rmcnabb
06-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Sweet. To complete the look, lose the fairing and square headlight, put on a single round one, get some low slung handle bars, and a Davida helmet with Halcion goggles. Bob's yer uncle, mate. :character00201:

And I never understood the term "clip on" handlebars - what does that mean exactly?

Ryan

Garandman
06-04-2007, 02:41 PM
//And I never understood the term "clip on" handlebars - what does that mean exactly?

Ryan
The clip on to each side of the fork tubes, rather than to a bracket at the top of the triple tree. Often bar-end mirrors are used as well.

Here's an example.
http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/developmentweb.jpg

Maier also makes a round bikini fairing, but the bike would need a lot of suspension work to be worth that kind of effort. I'd rather keep to the 80/20 results/effort ratio! Namely, the stock bars have been shortened 1.5" on a side - just about the max you can shorten them without changing the layout.

Harvester
09-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Now tha is one sweet looking Triumph !!

Raceral
09-02-2007, 06:06 PM
how did you mount the fender??

Mark B (4)
09-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Don't forget the SS brake lines too. Made a big difference in mine. Looks good with the fender!!

MB4

BobTheBiker
09-02-2007, 09:33 PM
that fender looks so nice. cant really tell that it isnt factory equipment, and its a major improvement.

Garandman
10-19-2007, 02:50 AM
how did you mount the fender??
Two hose clamps.

Bike is sold so it's going for sale on eBay next week.