Can one be too rich? [Archive] - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum

: Can one be too rich?

texaswall
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
I've done a few mods to my '05 and generally impressed myself by simply not ruining it. I bought the bike in St. George, UT and rode in 2,000 - 5,000 ft elevation range. Now I'm in Salt Lake, typically riding from 4,000 - 8,000. I'm thinking I'm running too rich now. I had drilled out the plug on the fuel/air mixture screw and set it pretty darn rich. I did remove the "snorkel" and have upgraded to a foam filter.

My problem is that I utilized a tech tip link that I can't find again. Therefore I can't remember how many turns out from "0" I am. Also, I can't find any tech pages right now that make suggestions starting from "0" as opposed to the factory setting.

And a couple of questions to help me confirm or deny my thought the bike is too rich:
1) Will the bike tend to run hotter when the fuel/air mix is rich or lean?
2) Will it be more likely to not want to start after stopping when hot if rich?
3) If I don't seem to need much choke does this confirm richness?

Paper
06-28-2007, 05:09 PM
I've done a few mods to my '05 and generally impressed myself by simply not ruining it. I bought the bike in St. George, UT and rode in 2,000 - 5,000 ft elevation range. Now I'm in Salt Lake, typically riding from 4,000 - 8,000. I'm thinking I'm running too rich now. I had drilled out the plug on the fuel/air mixture screw and set it pretty darn rich. I did remove the "snorkel" and have upgraded to a foam filter.

My problem is that I utilized a tech tip link that I can't find again. Therefore I can't remember how many turns out from "0" I am. Also, I can't find any tech pages right now that make suggestions starting from "0" as opposed to the factory setting.

And a couple of questions to help me confirm or deny my thought the bike is too rich:
1) Will the bike tend to run hotter when the fuel/air mix is rich or lean?
2) Will it be more likely to not want to start after stopping when hot if rich?
3) If I don't seem to need much choke does this confirm richness?

Most come from the factory pretty lean.

Around 2 1/2 turns should put you in the right area on the screw.
Lean bikes run hot. Rich bikes are getting a bit more cooling from the extra gas.

If you're concerned about how rich/lean the bike's running, just pull the plug and take a look at it. If it's rich, you'll know right off the bat because the tip will be brown or black.