Got air? What pump/Compressor do you like? [Archive] - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum

: Got air? What pump/Compressor do you like?

gottagetagoat
06-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Gearing up for some solo rides in the back country, and would like some thoughts on pumps/compressors.

The rides will start and end with miles on pavement and have a lot of gravel and dirt in the middle, so I would like to be able to drop pressure at the trailhead and bring it back up for the road ride back. I'll have a CO2 inflator for the emergency situation, but would like to be able to just move a few PSI at these transition points.

I'm leaning toward a stripped down compressor. I have a battery tender with permanent leads attached to the battery and terminating with that male/female connectorthingamajigwhachamacallitdoohickie (SAE pigtail?) sticking out by the rear rack. Any small/light compressor already come with that connection?...or is it easy to add on?

What do y'all think?

larryboy
06-29-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm pretty sure the Slime compressor comes with that adapter. For $35 and a carry case and multiple adapters it's a good way to go. Most all auto parts stores carry it, Cycle Gear does too.

larryboy
06-29-2008, 09:15 AM
This is the one you want: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44175

I didn't realize they have bigger models with built in gauges and lights and stuff now.

The mini goes in the backpack and works great.

I carry a plug kit, patches and tubes in the back country.

gottagetagoat
06-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks Larryboy. Definitely looks like it would fit the bill! Relatively compact and light.

In continuing my research I found positive comments on the slime unit, but one mixed review (for my application). A user felt the SAE connections were "of poor quality". Do you agree?

Have you seen or heard of this one from Aerostich?
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Mini-Compressor-p-20304.html
About the same price and supposedly even smaller and lighter.

DXKLR
06-29-2008, 01:26 PM
$20 compressor from Wally World has never let me down yet. Small and compact.

Paulo888
06-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I got the slime here

gottagetagoat
06-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Just got back from WM. Couldn't find the $20 compressor in stock. I looked at the $10 one out of the box...and just couldn't do it.

I did buy the $18 fishing seat there that I saw someone on ADV forum convert to a tank panier set. The green cordura almost matches my faded green plastic. The big fish logo almost matches...absolutely nothing. Cheap, cheesy...and totally KLR. I'm going to wear those questionably inappropriate bags proudly!

I'll flip a coin tonight for the Slime versus Aerostich mini compressor. If I end up with the Aerostich I'll let y'all know how it works.

Paulo888
06-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Slime makes the $10 one without the gauge. I got it from Meijer market from the east coast

gottagetagoat
07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, the coin came down with tails side up...

I bought the Aerostich unit. Super compact, light, powerful enough, has a carabiner so the motor can easily hang from something while doing its thing (nice feature, actually), has a bunch of connector options (I hardwired an SEA extension directly off the battery). When fired up, it seems to add roughly 10 psi in 20 seconds.

It's all good, except for the fact that the on-off switch is cheesy as all get out. Sometimes works. Sometimes doesn't. I'll just cut it out and direct wire so it'll start running when I plug it in. Piece of cake...but a little frustrating at the same time...

mbeasom
07-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Maybe I'm just missing it, but I've been looking for pics or just more information about these "fishing seat panniers" I keep reading about. Can somebody tell me where to look? I was considering making a set from military surplus, heavy duty canvas, messenger-style bags. They can be had for less than $10, and have lots of features. This idea hit after spotting the "pony-express" style universal saddlebags on JCWhitney.com. Any thoughts?

DXKLR
07-17-2008, 09:56 AM
I've yet to see pics of those either. But I do know Tractor Supply carries some 'small' saddle bags used across the saddle horn for horse saddles that would work perfectly as tank panniers. Not sure if you have a Tractor Supply near you or not.

mbeasom
07-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Cool. I'm gonna have to check those out. Thanks. I love Tractor Supply Co.

gottagetagoat
07-25-2008, 12:05 AM
My tank saddle bags were originally a fishing seat (look for a green folding seat in the fishing section at wally world). I disassembled the metal stand, cut a hole in the top (seat) for the gas cap and the wife reinforced the hole edge and sewed some tabs along the outside bag edges for straps/bungees.

I'm SUPER happy with it.

I can't remember who I got the idea from. It was posted in one of the forums.

If I ever get my hands on the camera and figure out how to post pics, I'll be happy to.

Give me a little time.

mbeasom
07-25-2008, 07:19 AM
I just ordered some military containers that were used for storage of night vision goggles. They are very similar in size to the Pelican styles I've been reading about being used as saddlebags, but a tiny bit shallower, and are waterproof. Got 'em on Ebay for less than $50, including shipping. Quite a deal, I thought. Next step, fab some bracketry. Will post pics when I get them done.

DXKLR
07-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Looking forward to seeing how that turns out :)..