Engine Temp [Archive] - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum

: Engine Temp

Crapapple
08-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I rode my 08 for the first time this weekend. Put on 90 miles.
Anyways its the first street legal bike Ive ever owned. The engine temp. gauge runs just above half way when I'm tooling around in 1st and 2nd gear, wether its in a parking lot or off road. Once I get up to speed in 3rd or above the gauge drops quickly down to cold.

Is this normal?? I figure that I am not riding correctly in the lower gears. What can I try to keep it cool in low gear? Certain rpm's?

thank you

BIGIRON
08-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Just physics. Low speed and high rpm's don't let the cooling system work. Higher speeds put more air thru the radiator so the system works better -- you're turning the same rpm's as you do in lower gears but with a lot more air across the fins.

Just make sure your cooling fan is working. Sounds as if it is or you'd be maxing the gauge in your 1st and 2nd gear cruising or idling. You can hear the fan at low speed or idle when the coolant temp is hot enough to trigger the switch.

You can check it by disconnecting the switch wire (at the bottom of the radiator) and grounding it. The fan should come on. Be sure to pull the connector to disconnect it, not just the wire.

Crapapple
08-10-2008, 02:27 PM
OK. I appreciate the help. I am just being precautious.
I changed the oil today and found a good amount of metal and blue chips, look like torque stripe or sealant I'm guessing.

DXKLR
08-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Thats pretty much normal. Mine will register just above the halfway mark when in lower gears and speed, especially if riding on gravel road taking it easy.

griffy
08-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Stays just above the cold dash at highway speeds and about halfway up on the trails. The fan comes on just above the halfway point. I have a 2008 with 1000 miles on it. griffy