On Off Switch for Headlight and Tailight [Archive] - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum

: On Off Switch for Headlight and Tailight

griffy
03-02-2009, 09:19 PM
I want to put a handlebar mounted on and off switch for a 2008 KLR650. does anyone know which wire in the headlight housing I tap into that will turn both the headlight and tailight off. I have not been able to find a wiring diagram for the 2008 and I am not sure If I tap into the headlight wire if it will turn the tail light off also. I do lot of two tracking and I would like to be able to turn the lights off. thanks griffy

Tom Schmitz
03-02-2009, 09:49 PM
I will look at my manual when I get home to be sure, but...

I think there is a red wire that you could cut into to kill the headlight. The tail light might be a bit of a problem because the hot for the tail is also the hot for the brake, if I recall correctly. I think the headlight and taillight are wired in parallel in such a way that you may have to dig into the harness a bit to get it all done on the same switch. The taillight doesn’t really draw that much, though.

If you really want to do this, I think it would be an excellent time to dig in there and set the headlights up on a pair of relays. I mean, as long as you're up...

Like I say, I'll check my manual and report back. Unless someone else has a manual handy and gets to it quicker.

Tom

Tom Schmitz
03-02-2009, 11:58 PM
griffy -

There is a red wire coming off the headlight fuse. If you insert a switch right after the fuse, you will shut off both the tail and the head light, but you'll also disable the brake light.

Somewhere after the fuse, the red wire splits, with one going forward and one aft. If you insert a switch in the forward line, you'll disable the hi and low beam, but not the tail.

A bit farther up the wire splits again, with one going to the low beam and one going to the handlebar high-low switch. That wire powers the high beam. If you put a switch in the wire that goes to the low beam, you'll disable the low beam.

So, the easiest thing to do is to go into the low beam, break into the red wire, and insert a switch to shut off the low beam. The high beam will still function, as will the tail and brake.

HTH,

Tom

tomatocity
03-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Or you could purchase an aftermarket switch. I have one and it is nice. You can turn off the headlight only or all of the lights. It also gives you a highbeam flash switch. Easy to cancel the turn signals. Easy horn access.

griffy
03-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Tim I would love to buy the European Switch but everyone I looked at says it only fits KLR650s up to 2007 not 2008 or 2009. That switch would be ideal. As usual this site has been very helpful. thanks griffy

tomatocity
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Tim I would love to buy the European Switch but everyone I looked at says it only fits KLR650s up to 2007 not 2008 or 2009. That switch would be ideal. As usual this site has been very helpful. thanks griffy

Oops! I wonder what the difference is? I have a 2006 V-Strom and it comes stock with a light switch, almost exactly (I hate that term), very close to the European style switch. The difference is you can not turn the headlight off but you can turn on the 4-way flasher.

DXKLR
03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I love the push to cancel turn signal button on the strom too. The KLR should have come with the European switches to begin with.

griffy
03-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Well I took my seat off and found a fuse box with a fuse for lamps and one for the fan and a spare. I turned the ignition on and pulled the fuse and the headlight and tailight went off. I tried the brakes and the brakelight came on. So all I have to do is splice a switch into the red wire and I should be good to go. thanks griffy

Tom Schmitz
03-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Excellent!

Now I gotta go look at the schematic again, I could have sworn the brakelight ran off the same hot...:confused:

Tom

griffy
03-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Had to pull the tank and all the plastic off, no big deal. Cut the red wire at the fuse box and put male an female spade connectors on them so I could put it back original if I had to. Got a neat waterproof switch with a rubber seal on the switch from Lowes. Ran two wires from the fuse too the switch and it works. Only headlight and tailight go off. Turn signals, brake lights and instrument lights still stay on. Just what I wanted. Oh I mounted the switch on the dash next to the temp guage. Took a couple of hours. griffy

Buildit
03-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Doesn't Arrowhead have an aftermarket colar with all that stuff?

griffy
03-24-2009, 04:53 PM
It only fits KLRs up to 2007. They do not have one that fits a 2008 or 2009. I do not know what the difference is between them.

dealzzalot
04-19-2009, 01:19 AM
lets say i want to kill every light on the bike with one flick of the switch, would that be hard to wire up,, i was hoping to hear that headlight fuse killed everything at once but now im hoping this can be done easily,,anyone have an idea

tomatocity
04-19-2009, 03:29 AM
The switch for the '07 and earlier is the European switch which is similar to the '08 and later switch. I bet you can make the Lights Out switch if you study the wiring diagrams but you want to make sure it is done correctly.

The good thing about being able to turn off the headlight is when you are putting around all day at low RPMs. Low RPMs for prolonged time does not fully charge the battery.