How To Break In New Leather Motorcycle Jacket? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Unhappy How To Break In New Leather Motorcycle Jacket?

Hi Everyone,

I am a huge fan of British Leathers and have been using their jackets since the 1980s. So when I was planning my coast to coast ride next month I turned to British Leathers for a cool jacket for the event. Since I am riding a very old motorcycle I wanted a jacket that looked like the style of the bike. They recommended the bike Jacket in horsehide and brown finish. I got it and they really built one beautiful and strong jacket. The only problem is that horsehide, while strong as any other leather, is stiff and hard when new.

Thanks a lot
Sara Chang
__________
removed

Last edited by Tom Schmitz; 08-24-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Commercial URLs in sig lines are not permitted
Sara Chang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,548
Wear it a lot. And sweat. There are other ways, but that is the cheapest and easiest (and most effective) I have found. I realize you are dealing with a time crunch, but that should be enough time. Wear it every day.

"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Colonel
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gateway to Death Valley!
Posts: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Chang View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am a huge fan of British Leathers and have been using their jackets since the 1980s. So when I was planning my coast to coast ride next month I turned to British Leathers for a cool jacket for the event. Since I am riding a very old motorcycle I wanted a jacket that looked like the style of the bike. They recommended the bike Jacket in horsehide and brown finish. I got it and they really built one beautiful and strong jacket. The only problem is that horsehide, while strong as any other leather, is stiff and hard when new.

Thanks a lot
Sara Chang
__________
removed

I've used Lexol Leather Conditioner on old leather and it really brings back the condition and suppleness. Should help your jacket I think. I've found it at western tack type stores.

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor 2:9
Spec is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
Images, please; jacket and bike as a minimum.

"Terror Of Highway 101" model jacket?


Last edited by LoneRider; 08-24-2011 at 12:38 PM.
LoneRider is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Lieutenant
 
Sleddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 122
How about throwing it in the dryer with a pair of tennis shoes for a couple hours....air only no heat....That's what I did with my new 'Stitch, worked good.

Sleddog
Sleddog is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
How about throwing it in the dryer with a pair of tennis shoes for a couple hours....air only no heat....That's what I did with my new 'Stitch, worked good.

Sleddog
Was the 'Stitch made of horsehide also, like Sara Chang's jacket, Sleddog?

Technique might work, whether on leather or textile jackets.

Horsehide, at least in shoe leather (Cordovan), has unique characteristics--fine grain structure, making it neo-waterproof, especially good in the snow, in my experience. Oughta be good for an all-weather motorcycle jacket!
LoneRider is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Lieutenant
 
Sleddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRider View Post
Was the 'Stitch made of horsehide also, like Sara Chang's jacket, Sleddog?

Technique might work, whether on leather or textile jackets.

Horsehide, at least in shoe leather (Cordovan), has unique characteristics--fine grain structure, making it neo-waterproof, especially good in the snow, in my experience. Oughta be good for an all-weather motorcycle jacket!
OH NO!...'Stitch is Textile, not leather. Putting them in the dryer with a pair of tennis shoes lets them get lots of movement over a short period of time....hence, breaking them in. Used to put leather tack in the dryer for the same purpose. I always said I'd pay more for used tack that was already broke in.

S
Sleddog is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Commander
 
Crazy Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Woodstock CT
Posts: 663
Sara… this is going to sound crazy.. but this is the best trick ever…
Put the jacket in the sink with REALY HOT water….. Let the leather get nice and soft. As soon as the jacket cools to the point you can stand…. Meaning still hot but you can put the coat on. …. Throw it on an head out for a ride….As the coat cools it will form to your body ….. You will LOVE it after… sucks at first but then years of comfort.
Crazy Jake is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Jake View Post
Sara… this is going to sound crazy.. but this is the best trick ever…
Put the jacket in the sink with REALY HOT water….. Let the leather get nice and soft. As soon as the jacket cools to the point you can stand…. Meaning still hot but you can put the coat on. …. Throw it on an head out for a ride….As the coat cools it will form to your body ….. You will LOVE it after… sucks at first but then years of comfort.
I thought about that. Weird type of leather, though. I've done that with boots. I think it's a good call.

"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alpinestars GP-R Perforated Leather Motorcycle Jacket RidersDiscount Riders Discount 2 03-18-2014 11:17 AM
Leather Jacket Rick Geroux Bike and Rider Gear 3 05-11-2008 09:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome