Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

hard starting and backfires

27K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Cvoc13 
#1 ·
I'm a newbee and would like to say hi to everone.
I have an 09 klr. After a couple of days sitting in the garage my bike will not start until it backfires. After that ir runs fine. Does anybody have an idea as to what my be causing this.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome T-bone, normally hard starting is associated with tight valves. You don't state the mileage but if it is beyond 7,500 it could be valve adjustment time. The backfiring is unburned fuel in the exhaust system, again it could be the valves are out of adjustment. I am assuming the carb has not been modified etc.

Greg :)

#5 ·
T-bone,
Not that any of the other info is incorrect, but the first thing I'd do is go spend $2.50 for a new spark plug.
Just go to the dealer and get a regular factory replacement plug. Nothing fancy.. Talk nicely to them, and they might even give it to you..

I know it sounds silly, but plugs can and will go bad on 4 strokes.. My Honda Recon 4 wheeler was the same way.. Hard to start, backfired..
New spark plug and it starts instantly and runs perfectly..

It's cheap and somewhat simple. If that doesn't work, then start making changes..

#7 ·
I too get backfires on my new 2011(just got it 03 03 2012). I am thinking its my fault as I may not have the choke high enough and I also should wait longer ( 5 seconds too short) before trying to restart. My bike fires 90% of the mornings no problem, so I m thinking human error. For example I may touch the trottle and thats bad on start up, then flood the bike then try a restart before gas in pipes disapates then KABOOM. So I just thought I would add this as a posibility.

#10 ·
My 09 started doing it at 6000 miles at which point I adjusted the valves and did the .22 mod. The problem went away but I don't know which repair fixed it. I now have just over 20,000 miles on the bike and no complaints!

Sent from my iPod touch using Motorcycle
Timothys687
More miles and smiles for all!

#14 ·
PM sent but here is the link to the "common mods and issues" page. Scroll down to the 22 cent mod and study all the pictures and write ups.

OK........can't post a URL link until I have 15 posts. Maybe one of the seasoned vets here can post a direct link to that page. I did send you the link in the PM I sent.

DD

#15 ·
I know this is a super old post but did you ever figure this out? My 09 is doing the exact same thing at startup. Will not start until it backfires then starts right up.
Runs perfect after starts. Like clockwork. Checked and it's not actually sparking when holding the starter button down . When I let off it sparks.

#16 ·
Maybe this will sound crazy, but my bike does the same, BUT I have found it to be after my 09 sits, I go to start it, and it back fires I get on it PUT UP THE KICK STAND UP and IT has turned out to be the SAFETY SWITCH I don't know why as after it starts I can keep it running and I can put the kick stand down and it wont shut down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.