Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Another suspension thread

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Rocky 
#1 ·
In the past month I took a trip from Northern Cal to San Diego. Yes? a December trip down I - 5 was a little chilly but I made it? When I got to SD a buddy of mine and I did some desert ridding I am getting much more aggressive in my off road ridding and it seemed like I was bottoming out the suspension quite often, but only when I was off road.

About a year ago I knew that I was going to replace the rear shock with something aftermarket. (I don?t think that I want to rebuild the rear shock or replace the spring with something heaver.) I think I am looking for a completely new rear shock. I am about 250lbs and run with about 20 ? 25 lbs of gear on day trips and upwards of 50+lbs on extended trips.

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction to start my research?

Or what is the favorite aftermarket rear shock for a person of my build?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

#7 ·
Replacing the spring is far less expensive and is usually the first upgrade to do when you want to improve the rear suspension. Why were you wanting to replace the shock instead of the spring? If money is no object, here's a good place to start. http://multisurfacemotorcycling.com/products/klrprod.htm

My rear spring upgrade totally changed my KLR world. A huge improvement! Much nicer to ride and more options for different surfaces.

Hope this helps

#8 ·
headn said:
Replacing the spring is far less expensive and is usually the first upgrade to do when you want to improve the rear suspension. Why were you wanting to replace the shock instead of the spring? If money is no object, here's a good place to start. http://multisurfacemotorcycling.com/products/klrprod.htm

My rear spring upgrade totally changed my KLR world. A huge improvement! Much nicer to ride and more options for different surfaces.

Hope this helps
I did day that I was looking to replace the shock, but I was also looking for some direction in researching the different shocks. Out of all the ideas that I have received, here on this board and on other boards, it does look like I am at least going to change the fronts and rear springs.

If I was going to change out the whole rear shock, I would probably go with Eldens rebuild. The amount of reaseach that I think he has put into the shock is worth the price.

headn - thanks for the heads up! :cool:

#9 ·
If you wanna start with just the spring, I went with MMP's 6.6 straight wound spring and it has made me a new person. Well, it's at least one of the greatest changes I made to the bike. I am, how you say, bodyguard sized, bigger than you, and the spring really was the answer to all my problems. So I am not trying to tell you what to do to your bike, I am just giving a experienced thumbs up for the MMP.

#11 ·
I went and bought a six foot piece of 3/8 allthread, six nuts and six washers. Get two solid pieces of wood that won't split under pressure or something else ie: marble, concrete, mdf, steel plate, something to drill and put the allthread thru. Basically you are making a sandwich that you can compress with the nuts with the spring/shock in the middle. The "bread" will need to be altered a little to fit the shock spring into. Tighten the nuts evenly until you get it to where you can take the ring off and slide the spring off. This is the condensed version.
This is how I did it. I'm not telling you that it is totally safe because a large spring under tension is dangerous. I should probably tell you to go to your local stealership and have them do it for you and pay them with safety on your mind. But that would go against all that is good and lovely and KLRish. It is not difficult at all once you study it and get a plan. I'm assuming that you are a diy kinda guy and that you are manly because you bought an awesome manly bike. So adjust accordingly or put on safety glasses and let us know when you lived thru it-I MEAN got it done and how you like it. By the way, I wouldn't have a shop do anything to my bike, and I mean anything. I like to do it myself. Good Luck

#12 ·
headn said:
I went and bought a six foot piece of 3/8 allthread, six nuts and six washers. Get two solid pieces of wood that won't split under pressure or something else ie: marble, concrete, mdf, steel plate, something to drill and put the allthread thru. Basically you are making a sandwich that you can compress with the nuts with the spring/shock in the middle. The "bread" will need to be altered a little to fit the shock spring into. Tighten the nuts evenly until you get it to where you can take the ring off and slide the spring off. This is the condensed version.
This is how I did it. I'm not telling you that it is totally safe because a large spring under tension is dangerous. I should probably tell you to go to your local stealership and have them do it for you and pay them with safety on your mind. But that would go against all that is good and lovely and KLRish. It is not difficult at all once you study it and get a plan. I'm assuming that you are a diy kinda guy and that you are manly because you bought an awesome manly bike. So adjust accordingly or put on safety glasses and let us know when you lived thru it-I MEAN got it done and how you like it. By the way, I wouldn't have a shop do anything to my bike, and I mean anything. I like to do it myself. Good Luck
Ya know headn thanks for the reply, but I think that I am going to take the shock off and have Elden put the spring on. I am a sort of a DYI guy, but I don't need a spring flying through the roof of my shop or worse someone or something else :shock:
On a side note... I have new progressive springs (fronts), new brake lines, speed bleeders ect ect comming from Fred. Lets say Santa was good to me this year. I am going to turn this into a whole new ride.

Thanks again for all your input...

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.