Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

2008 KLR performance mods

14K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  fradsham 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums. I bought my bike new in 2008 in Colorado and now live in Savannah. I've ridden my bike at sea level and at over 12,000 ft in the mountains without ever jetting it. It has 14,000 miles and has always run great. I have never had any problems with it, but I'd like to hear suggestions on the proper way to "uncork' it and maximize it's potential power. I'm not going to do anything internally until it's time for a rebuild. Is there any slip on pipe that's the "best" for the KLR? Any responses will be appreciated.

#2 ·
My favorite mod I did to "uncork" some power was the .22cent mod. It definitely open up the bike a ton and literally cost a few cents to do and is very easy. A huge difference in performance. I never bought a new exhaust, I did it the cheap way by cutting out the spark arrestor and putting an end cap on. Didn't really notice any difference in performance but it sounds way better. Good luck! Lots of options for ya

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy shit .... What a Ride!
Cheers, Nick

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

It's hard to get any appreciable power gains out of a KLR without spending significant money. Changing the muffler doesn't do much except lighten you wallet.

There's a guy named Patman that has documented dyno runs with various mods. His page is here.

#5 ·
Leave it the way it is! You suggest having "14,000 miles and never having a problem with it" & "it runs great."
That's your answer right there. Leave the engine alone:)

This is my honest opinion. If you want faster or more "pop" buy a Versys or VeeStrom. The KLR is admirably trusty & a bit more "reserved."

Just my .02:desismiley1:

#6 ·
My paupa liked to say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#7 ·
Going down the path of hopping-up the KLR650, I think you find yourself suddenly in the Realm of Diminishing Returns.

A Versys engine, out-of-the-box (and a number of other 650 cc mills), will eclipse the performance of the most highly-modified KLR650 engine.

Yet, if the modification satisfies you, have at it!

The magnitudes of modification performance increases are seldom quantified, e.g., by dyno run or by competition. Their prowess often resides in the seat-of-the-pants meters of the modifiers, and in the head-space between the ears of the tuners.

Then, there's the PCV valve mod, which . . . oh, never mind!

#8 ·
Going down the path of hopping-up the KLR650, I think you find yourself suddenly in the Realm of Diminishing Returns.

A Versys engine, out-of-the-box (and a number of other 650 cc mills), will eclipse the performance of the most highly-modified KLR650 engine.
In 2012 they added a 1000cc versys to the lineup so I am keeping my fingers crossed that engine will be in the next gen KLR....but will add $1-$2k to the price tag...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.