bike surging at low rpm"s - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions

2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Recruit

Default bike surging at low rpm"s

I have a 2008 traveling in low rpms bike surges. what can I do to fix that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Colonel

Joe
Have you turned out the pilot jet or unplugged it from stock? It's the adjustment screw under a plug at the front underneath the carb. OR, bad gas? OR, dirty carb fr4om sitting? Just throwing out more options?
We need more information...please. Just this once or all the time? At roughly what RPMs? Has the bike been sitting for any length of time? What grade of fuel do you use? Always fill up at the same fill station? Have you done any carb work at all? What does your chain look like? Is it always oiled and cared for? Is there a stiff link in it anywhere? Look for a section that doesn't fall easily flat. What are your sprockets like? Teeth wise that is, hooked possibly?

That's it for a general guess so far.....
Let us know

thanks

We're heare to help anyway I can.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Flight Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Simmons View Post
I have a 2008 traveling in low rpms bike surges. what can I do to fix that?
Run it like ya stole it and the surge will be unoticable

I concur we need a few more details to give a relevant responce.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Captain

For kicks try closing down the choke lever and see what that does.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Recruit

Just a few detals on my bike it has just over 8000 miles on it. I ride it daily to work the surging is around 2000 to 2500 rpms but throttle up and it smoothes out and runs like a new one. Just had carb cleaned about 300 miles ago cleaned jets and replaced fuel line and vacuum hose to tank.I only run 91 octane,chain and sproket is in good shape, just done wire wrap on all electrical wiring due to recall klr put out had a few issues with wires shorting out main fuse so dont think its an electrical problem any more.Talked to other riders they say if its running dont worry about it fix it when it breaks.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why

Joe Simmons -

I would recommend you consider doing the 22 cent mod.

The KLR comes pretty lean at just off-idle and mid-throttle.

The 22 cent mod shims the needle with one or two #4 washers to richen up the mid-throttle.

Done at the same time is removing the plug from the underside of the carburetor to expose the idle mixture screw. Seat it, then turn it out about 2 1/2 turns to richen the off-idle.

Check out the Common Mods and Issues thread that is stickied at the top of this sub-forum and look for the 22 cent mod discussions on the first page of that thread.

T

'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used. -Napoleon Bonaparte
Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Colonel

When you had the carb cleaned, if they didn't unplug this jet circuit they didn't do a complete carb cleaning IMHO. This system effects much more than idle speeds as it sounds like it would. It is the idle jet cercuit or pilot jet circuit usually associated with very low RPM situations. If not set up correctly it has been known to cause a pulse at and around the 4000RPM range also. As well as a poping on decelleration. It only takes a small amount of crud to effect any one of the air/fuel circuits.
You need to have the carb completely taken apart and cleaned inspected and adjusted to get the best results from this job.

Where did you get this done at? The dealership??? If so...I would say they sprayed some carb cleaner at the carb and said good enough....yep...I have zero faith in anything the dealer does except take your money!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Captain

How are the chain and sprockets?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Flight Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz View Post
Joe Simmons -

I would recommend you consider doing the 22 cent mod.

The KLR comes pretty lean at just off-idle and mid-throttle.

The 22 cent mod shims the needle with one or two #4 washers to richen up the mid-throttle.

Done at the same time is removing the plug from the underside of the carburetor to expose the idle mixture screw. Seat it, then turn it out about 2 1/2 turns to richen the off-idle.

Check out the Common Mods and Issues thread that is stickied at the top of this sub-forum and look for the 22 cent mod discussions on the first page of that thread.

T
Good answer. They run really lean from the factory. I did all this to mine and it helped emencelly. I then added a UNI filter with a partial L mod. 90% of the surging went away. I was still not satisified so I install a Dyno Jet kit with the needle on the 2nd slot if I rememeber correct and a 140 main.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Recruit

Just a note I cleaned the carb my self i am mechanicaly inclined just new to motorcycles but i did take the carb completly apart and cleaned real well. Also my chain and sproket is in good shape and oiled good no problems with that.My bike runs good at 4000 rpms and only pops on decel going down steep grades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement