14 tooth sprocket - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions

2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Lieutenant

Default 14 tooth sprocket

Swapped OEM for a 14 tooth sprocket today. Seems like a different scoot down low. Generally stick to backroad twisties, firetrails and dirt. If you don't spend much time on the Interstate, IMO it's a nice inexpensive upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Flight Officer

14 tooth has been an intriguing notion. Its cool to hear your experience to date. Maybe next year I'll give it a try. I hesitate because I need a certain amount of blacktop ability. Wish I could get a second ride. Then I would go to 14 tooth. Oh to have such problems.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Colonel

I have found the 14 tooth sprocket to be a great addition especially since it can be swaped in several minuites back to the 15 tooth if so needed. But when riding roads of 55mph or less I find the 14 tooth to give the bike a more aggressive feel and the difference in gas is unnoticable. The low end difference is invaluable on the single track, just as a good noby tire.

ADVFilmer videos of trails, reviews and other dual sport related stuff. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
Old 10-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Flight Officer

Oh you guys make me salivate . . . now I realy want to change that sprocket!!! BTW: I notice Buildit has a KTM950 and V_Strom . . . can you say alittle bit how those fit into your quiver with the KLR? A friend of mine has a KTM950. He likes it, but it seems a bit much for logging roads, let alone trails of any kind. Just curious about your experiences. I would love to develop a rationalization for something to go along with my klr LOL . . . I need my head examined.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Oh you guys make me salivate . . . now I realy want to change that sprocket!!! BTW: I notice Buildit has a KTM950 and V_Strom . . . can you say alittle bit how those fit into your quiver with the KLR? A friend of mine has a KTM950. He likes it, but it seems a bit much for logging roads, let alone trails of any kind. Just curious about your experiences. I would love to develop a rationalization for something to go along with my klr LOL . . . I need my head examined.
Not trying to answer for Buildit. I also have an 06 Vee set up for "adventure touring". Regularly ride logging/ service roads in Mark Twain National Forest with no problems. A little heavy and limited suspension travel for serious off roading. Suspect it will take you anywhere any other big trailee will go but at a slower pace off pavement.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Flight Officer

I sometimes wonder about a Versys (sp?) sometimes . . . but, if I got something to go along with my KLR, my goal would be blacktop 99.9% of the time so I can only dream about what I think I would want. Virtualy all of my motorcycle experience is with dirt bikes 250cc and less from years ago. I'm pretty ignorant where a road bike fits in my life, let alone all the product possibilities. But I sure like to think about it. My KLR experiences got me out on the highways more than I ever have and it makes me think. I suspect I would rule-out a Harley product or Goldwing type of bike. On the other hand, I suspect a pure sport bike would have limits for me. Oh what a fun problem to have, and it costs nothing to think/talk about it.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Quote:
I sometimes wonder about a Versys (sp?) sometimes . . . but, if I got something to go along with my KLR, my goal would be blacktop 99.9% of the time so I can only dream about what I think I would want. Virtualy all of my motorcycle experience is with dirt bikes 250cc and less from years ago. I'm pretty ignorant where a road bike fits in my life, let alone all the product possibilities. But I sure like to think about it. My KLR experiences got me out on the highways more than I ever have and it makes me think. I suspect I would rule-out a Harley product or Goldwing type of bike. On the other hand, I suspect a pure sport bike would have limits for me. Oh what a fun problem to have, and it costs nothing to think/talk about it.
Here's a cross between a dual sport and a sport bike. Truly universal bike.

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=9424

Spec sheet:
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suz...m_650_2005.php

It weights about 20 pounds more than the KLR, holds about as much gas. Good after market support, few if any known weak spots. Will tear up the highway without reducing the life expectancy of the rider. Gravel roads, fire service trails? Eats 'em up. Down side is that they have all the sex appeal of an AMC Matador.
[IMG]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/vatrader01/KLR%20mechanical/04e28c5e.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT="Century Gothic"][I]Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith[/I] [/FONT]
Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Flight Officer

V2, fuel injection, six speeds, 5.8 gal - - - I really like the idea of fuel injection and 6 speeds; and have been somewhat surprized Kawa hasn't done that with KLR over the years. But then I kinda like the old school echoes of the klr, particularily being a big bore single piston - its a relatively simple piece of machinery compared to many rides above 650cc. Although I don't want a return to kick start on the KLR, I do wish on and off was stripped down to just turning the key - that kick stand on/off tie in leaves me feeling a bit foolish - I tend not to like features that redundently protect me from myself. - - - but I'm digressing. I sure see a lot of V-stroms. Today, I drove from Kalispell, MT to Spokane, WA (by car) and saw four V-Stroms (all blue).
Old 10-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Colonel

Quote:
The KLR was first, then I got a V-max for strictly on road stuff. A few speeding tickets later I figured out the v-max wasn't what I really wanted, no good for touring and too short for a 6'4" tall guy. The V-strom 1000 was the answer and a great stable mate for the KLR. Well lust is a terrible thing and the KTM 950 super enduro had long been the subject of my innocent looks. I test rode one at Vintage Motor Days and was hooked on the suspension, power and fit. I still love my KLR and it is my comfortable tight track riding bike. The KTM has only gotten about 1000 miles before I broke my leg this summer but they were great miles of learning to handle the beast. Not that it fought me in the least, but in deep mud and tight trails it's not the KLR. If I could only have two it would still be the KLR and V-strom.

ADVFilmer videos of trails, reviews and other dual sport related stuff. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
Old 10-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Captain

If only they sold this in the US! http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bike/dl650al1xp/