Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Stator? or something else.....??

14K views 40 replies 5 participants last post by  pokyIDAHO6ft4 
#1 ·
Ive got an 06 klr 650 with 5000 miles (2nd owner) bought a new battery and took it out for a ride and just died on me when i went to accelerate from a stoplight. Been seeming to cut out when my fan turns on. Almost think its my stator. Anyone got any ideas? Valves and doohickey done btw. :character00201: Thanks!!! Oh btw it does have a vapor computer on it too.

#2 ·
Check connections such as battery cables, fuses then monitor voltage before jumping to any conclusions. Likely is a connection problem so that's the most productive direction and least costly to investigate. Any chance you didn't get the battery cables tightened? Or have a dirty connection?

It sounds like the issue is voltage related. Does it only do it when the engine is idling?

After checking connections & connections at fuses, try pulling the headlight fuse to see if that reduces the tendency to quit.

If you report battery voltage while running and have checked the other suggestions, post back results and we can see where to go from there.

#3 ·
May be voltage-related, but not, I think, battery voltage.

The battery voltage/charging circuitry and the ignition circuitry are totally separate on Generation 1 KLR650s.

The ignition (CDI, or capacitive discharge ignition) on pre-2008 KLR650s is powered entirely by the exciter coils of the stator; alternating current (vs. the direct current of the battery-charging circuitry).

So, whatever the problem is, don't think the battery voltage has anything to do with it--a Generation 1, in fact, will run without any battery at all.

That said, checking the connections between the exciter coils of the stator and the CDI, and between the pickup coil and the CDI appear to be sound maintenance. The ignition circuit is un-fused; the kill mechanisms (grounding the exciter coil leads by ignition switch or kill switch) might bear watching.

Here's a Generation 1 wiring diagram link:

http://binatani.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/1995-klr650-wiring-diagrams.gif

#7 ·
Reckon I didn't communicate clearly in my previous post, pokyIDAHO6ft4!

The condition of the BATTERY of your pre-2008 KLR650 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the running, or the dying, of your engine.

Because: The ignition of your bike is powered by alternating current from the exciter coils of you stator, not from the battery, nor from any 12-volt direct-current source.

I have spoken. :)

#9 ·
No. I'm saying, your battery, and the "AC part" of the other coils on your stator, are NOT the cause of your engine dying. Nor is the rectifier/regulator, unseen by the ignition circuitry.

If your engine runs at all, chances are the exciter coils are o.k. As I mentioned previously, you might check the wiring and connections, exciter coil to CDI, pickup coil to CDI, and the functioning of the exciter coil grounding terminals on the ignition switch and the kill switch. I think I provided a link to a wiring diagram, also.

#11 ·
Sorry, brain dead when read the year. Was thinking of a Gen2 which has a "coil and battery" system. As Damocles stated, the problem is unlikely to be charging system/battery related- can't think of a scenario in which it would be. Apologies for misleading. Will leave this in Damocles hands as "too many cooks".

#16 · (Edited)
http://youtu.be/3iWMrxVhRhk «----rectifier test i dont know the values...
Again, the rectifier ain't involved in your ignition circuitry. The rectifier changes alternating current into direct current. Your Generation 1 CDI ignition sees ONLY un-rectified alternating current, direct from the exciter coils of your stator, as its power source.

justjeff's suggestion, checking the wires about your countershaft sprocket (they happen to be, 1) from the stator's exciter coils, and 2) from the spark pulse pickup coil, also, 3) the neutral switch connector, IIRC), comprises sound diagnostic/maintenance advice, IMHO.

Good luck!

#13 ·
stator??? or something different continued...

Spark plug Product Auto part Automotive ignition part Automotive engine part
my spark plug looked like this.
Its getting fuel, checked the vacuum lines, it looks like the starter relay was changed and the coil and cdi looks to be original, headgasket is fine, ill check compression tomorrow if i have to. Fuses are fine. I dont see any corrosion anywhere. Tomorrow im going to get a new spark plug an:Tongue2:d check the stator lines and test those

#17 ·
. . . ill check compression tomorrow if i have to.
Checking compression on a KLR650 poses some complications. A functioning KACR (Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release) cracks an exhaust valve on the compression stroke at cranking rpm, compromising compression.

A leak-down test gives a better indication of ring-and-valve condition, unless the KACR is disabled for a conventional-type compression test.

Regardless, your symptoms do not suggest low compression, to me.

#14 · (Edited)
I Think I would be looking closely at the wiring harness, especially along the frame for spots where it may be worn from vibration/chaffing allowing a bared wire to short to ground intermittently. Also check right by the front sprocket where the wires come out of the engine for anything worn/broken.

By the look of the plug it is running way rich. Check the "choke" cable to make sure it isn't pulled out at the carb end/connection.
jj

#20 ·
But, if it's getting spark the stator is fine... That plug did look like the bike is running wicked rich. Kind of a rarity considering that these bikes are usually jetted super lean from the factory. Almost like it's flooding.

I wish you the best of luck with it and realize that troubleshooting can be a pain in the the butt. When things don't work the way they should it's easy to get flustered with them.

#24 ·
Maybe the carb has issues as well. It only takes a small piece of crap in there to cause problems.
When I bought my '03 not running, the previous owner had been in the carb and lost a piece. Once I fixed that it still wouldn't start due to a dead plug. Coincidental? Maybe the p.o. went after the wrong problem(dead plug) and caused more issues by messing up the carb too.

Your plug is very black and sooty indicating an extremely rich mixture last time the engine ran. This may have nothing to do with the stalling/not starting issue or it may be an indictor of the real problem. Maybe the spark never was the real problem and you need to look in the carb to see what is going wrong in there.

You stated that it is stalling when warm. This is a possible indication that the enrichening circuit ''choke" could still be engaged which would also explain the black sooty spark plug. Something carb related is causing that plug to be so black.

Regards....justjeff

#22 ·
As 650Stew says above; if you have spark, your problem ain't the stator.

Somehow, the immortal words of Strother Martin, in "Cool Hand Luke," come to mind.

Trouble-shooting/diagnosis can be complex and frustrating; LONG-DISTANCE trouble-shooting/diagnosis even more so. Without the opportunity to see/touch/hear your bike, I think you're receiving the best efforts of responding forum members.

Recommend you bring in someone familiar with KLR650-type engines, for hands-on examination and analysis; even a professional, commercial shop if you must.

Best wishes, whichever path you may choose.

#25 ·
Good analytical possibilities, justjeff, IMHO!

Clarifying poky's remark, the stator has no "starting side," rather--an "ignition" side, and . . . if you will, a "charging" side; separate and independent coils of wire within whom electric current is generated when in the presence of moving magnetic lines of flux (e.g., from a rotating magnetized flywheel).

If spark exists at all, chances are stator, pickup coil, CDI, ignition coil, and associated wiring are all o.k. As mentioned, no play from the rectifier/regulator in the Generation 1 ignition circuit.

#27 ·
Yes, absolutely. As the valves on a KLR wear into the seat it reduces the valve clearance. Eventually a valve will be being held open a little bit and the engine will become harder and harder to start. This is a common issue on the KLR engine.

Regards....justjeff

#31 ·
As the engine warms up and the parts expand the valve clearance reduces as well. Not knowing the bike's history, being an '06, lack of valve clearance could be a contributing coincidental issue but I still think something is going with the carb causing the overly rich mixture. The valves need to be checked as well.
jj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.