Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Cam Chain Adjustment

8K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Tom Schmitz 
#1 · (Edited)
Is the KLR 650 Cam Chain Adjustment on my 2009 KLR automatic? Or do I have to physically adjust it?

#5 ·
Can you tell us about this rattle? When does it occur? What gear and RPM? Is it the typical KLR 'death rattle' that we all hear starting up in first gear? Yadda, yadda....

Adjusting the balancer chain is always a good idea, and can never hurt. Just doo (heh) it properly without over tightening the wee little bolt.

Tom

#6 ·
It apears to happen under load, but not consistent every time. Also, just a short rattle noise and not the entire time under load. I switched to supreme gas and it made no difference. To me it sounds like I have a loose skid plate, or a chain. I thought for sure I could adjust the cam chain and that would be my solution. But I've come to realize that there is no manual adjustment. As for the rpms, usually happens around 4000rpm.

#8 ·
Yes, crack it off by about a full turn. Rap on the case lightly to get things moving around, then re-tighten. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN! A suer-fire way to mess up the stock doohickey.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.