Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balancer chain adjustment

30K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Paper 
#1 ·
I know it's here but I guess it's late and I can't find it.

Can anyone give me the torque setting for the balancer chain adjuster? I think it's in inch pounds. I put Eagle Mikes doo and torsion spring in a while ago and it's time to adjust again just can't remember.

Also the bolt is loosened 1/2 inch right?

thanks for the help

#2 ·
I know it's here but I guess it's late and I can't find it.

Can anyone give me the torque setting for the balancer chain adjuster? I think it's in inch pounds. I put Eagle Mikes doo and torsion spring in a while ago and it's time to adjust again just can't remember.

Also the bolt is loosened 1/2 inch right?

thanks for the help
- 69 INCH pounds.

- 1/2 TURN.

- Do the adjustment when the engine is warm.

Do you still have the installation instructions? The instrutions also have EagleMike's contact information.

#7 ·
Rather than start a new thread I'll just add to this one

After reading my owners manual I adjusted the balancer as per it's instructions. But instead of 1/2 turn of loosening That book says a few turns. I of course did a few turns - not 1/2 turn.

What I get is the same as I used to get before I did the Doo.. The bike seems to run rougher and has louder engine noise. It seems harsh sounding especially under load.

I did the Doo a few thousand miles ago and it made such a difference. The bike seemed tighter sounding and quieter. This is the first time I adjusted it since doing the doo. Now it sounds like it used to before doing the doo! (maybe I should note that the Doo was not broken nor was the spring when I did it)

Did I screw up?

#3 ·
Thanks. No I think I left them on the kitchen counter to long and it got thrown out.

Anywy thanks for the info. I checked on EM's site but didn't seen any instructions. I remembered the 69inlbs for the case bolts but didn't remember the bolt for the adjuster torque setting.

Just to be sure we are on the same page the adjuster bolt is 69 inlbs right?

thanks for the help

#4 ·
Thanks. No I think I left them on the kitchen counter to long and it got thrown out.

Anywy thanks for the info. I checked on EM's site but didn't seen any instructions. I remembered the 69inlbs for the case bolts but didn't remember the bolt for the adjuster torque setting.

Just to be sure we are on the same page the adjuster bolt is 69 inlbs right?

thanks for the help
Just checked Eagle Mfg & Eng and Left Coast KLRs webpages and did not find the instructions to adjust the balancer lever. Not saying they are not there just that I could not find them.

#8 ·
Don't know if you screwed up or not. If it were my bike, I'd be pulling the left engine cover off and having a looky-see. After market springs have been reported to break, too. Looking for yourself will confirm why you are hearing what you are hearing. Just the outer cover off should reveal any issues. Not sure what happened when you backed the bolt out that far....it's only in there a few turns. Without actually looking, everything will be speculation.

#9 ·
Thanks V, you are right that there is no way to know for sure. It's worth noting that it was fine when I did the doo.

Where did the half turn method come from? That is not what is says in my owners book.

Perhaps I'll have a look see at the Etna Tech Daze..

I think I'm going to adjust it again but only do a half turn out.

#10 ·
Where did the half turn method come from? That is not what is says in my owners book.

Perhaps I'll have a look see at the Etna Tech Daze..

I think I'm going to adjust it again but only do a half turn out.

When I got back from my trip I noticed the timing chain sizzle sound, warmed it up, loosened the bolt a nonspecific number of turns (1 Im guessing) and tightened it back down to a nonspecified torque (just snugged it).

sounded instantly better..hope that helps

btw-I noticed you have an 89 Rover, I love those, Ive had 3 RR classics, if you ever need any info I might be able to point you in the right direction..

#11 ·
I do this, and I believe somebody else here said it was contained in the EM instructions: after I loosen the bolt, I lean the bike over to the right and whack the side case a few times with a soft-faced deadblow hammer. I believe this is to insure everything kind of "jiggles loose" and the adjustment actually happens. Does it do any good? I don't know. Figure it can't hurt.

#15 ·
I'm going to try your method, and give the case a tap with my rubber mallet.

The OEM balancer lever is made of soft metal and the adjuster fastener would leave abrasions on the lever. More turns to clear the abrasions. The Eagle lever is hardened. If it gets abrasions they are very very small and do not need much clearance.

If the engine is warm it has oil on the lever and adjuster.

The tapping with a hammer would make sure the level was not stuck to the case. You can alo "lightly" tap on the socket/extension to assure the lever adjusted.

EagleMikes instructions are for his balancer lever.

What spring do you have? Difficult to be wrong with the Torsion spring.
I put the normal spring, and not the torsion when I did the doo in February. I did tap the socket like you suggested. I did this instinctively.
Some of this extra noise could be in my head or maybe it sounds right and I'm just not used to it.
I'm out of town until tomorrow so I will have to wait to check it out.

#12 ·
can't tell if anyone answered...69 inch pounds.

#13 ·
The OEM balancer lever is made of soft metal and the adjuster fastener would leave abrasions on the lever. More turns to clear the abrasions. The Eagle lever is hardened. If it gets abrasions they are very very small and do not need much clearance.

If the engine is warm it has oil on the lever and adjuster.

The tapping with a hammer would make sure the level was not stuck to the case. You can alo "lightly" tap on the socket/extension to assure the lever adjusted.

EagleMikes instructions are for his balancer lever.

What spring do you have? Difficult to be wrong with the Torsion spring.

#17 ·
I was doing it with a warm engine for sure.

I Just checked the Clymer book and it also says to back it out a few turns.

So where did that half turn method come from ?

#18 ·
Cabrito, ddi you recently install a skidplate since this will reflect noise. Cut a piece of foam and fit it under the engine.

Another thought is if you had the skidplate on during the off-road class, did iy move and is touching something.

random thoughts...

#19 ·
Same skid plate that has been on there for a while.

#23 · (Edited)
Close Ills. The washer is the concern. If you have an Eagle Doohickey you don't need to exceed a 1/2 turn with a tap and a warm engine. Are we over discussing what the aftermarket manufacturer includes in the instructions.

edit: or is there a washer with the Eagle Doohickey?
So the half turn method is from the Eagle Mike Doo instructions? I better go read that thing.

It did tighten back up without a problem.

Tomorrow after I ride to work I'm going to re-adjust it with the 1/2 turn method.

For the record:
My bike is not making any major abnormal engine noises. It just seems a little different to my ears while riding it.

#22 · (Edited)
Close Ills. The washer is the concern. If you have an Eagle Doohickey you don't need to exceed a 1/2 turn with a tap and a warm engine. Are we over discussing what the aftermarket manufacturer includes in the instructions.

edit: or is there a washer with the Eagle Doohickey?

#25 ·
I learned a long time ago not to trust anything on eHow. Here's my edit of their second step instructions:

Get an 8 millimeter wrench and remove the bolt. You are now well and truly screwed, as you've dropped the washer that was on the end of the bolt. Of course, you can't get the bolt out because of the flange on the end of it, and if you're reading these instructions you have no other resources and can't know that. You'll be flailing away at that bolt trying to get it to come out. That will surely have knocked the washer off and into the guts of the engine. Now you can adjust the balancer chain. Adjust as necessary. Jiggle the throttle cable on the carburettor, sort of like when you jiggle the toilet handle. Maybe that will adjust the balancer chain. Don't go over 6 lbs of torque. You will break the chain if you go over that amount. The chain will break because the laws of physics have been repealed inside the KLR engine. Overtightening the wee adjuster bolt will put in motion a cataclysmic chain of events the likes of which have not been seen since the big bang. Don't over tighten as you can damage components from doing that.

T

#27 ·
Gen I or Gen II, we always replace the Doo and spring with an Eagle Mike's kit. There is just something about having peace of mind knowing his product is in there. Even tho the Gen II is more robust, there was always some slop in the fitment of the doo compared to Mikes Doo. The fitment was much more precise and didn't allow for excessive movement when readjusting.

#33 ·
Follow up and solution for my problem

Well,
At the NorCal Tech Daze in Etna I cracked it open and found that I had broken my EM Doo Spring.
I installed a torsion spring and all is good!

I remember struggling to get the spring on when I was installing it back in Feb. It slipped off my pliers a few times so I'm sure I put some marks in the spring and probably damaged it so when I finally got around to doing the adjustment it snapped.
I fished around in the Oil pan with a magnet but didn't turn up the broken part of the spring. Hopefully it's going to be on my magnetic drain plug when I drop the oil.
I attached a pic of the spring. (note that the stretched out end was what we did there, the broken end is on the right side of the spring in the pic)

Attachments

#34 ·
There was a bit of a discussion going on here that was not about adjusting the balancer (which is not generations specific), it was about the Gen2 balancer adjuster lever itself.

That discussion has been moved to the '2008 + Wrenching and Mods' forum here:

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=11003

T

#35 ·
Vibration!

How many of you are experiencing what you consider excessive vibration?

Do you know if your balancer lever is adjusting?

The balancer lever can be checked by leaning your KLR to the right (so oil does not drain) and removing your left outer cover. Loosen the adjuster to see if the lever adjusts. You can use a screwdriver to see if there is tension on the lever.

I am experiencing what I consider excessive vibration in the pegs, frame, seat, and handle bars, all of what wears on the riders body.

Just wondering what other riders are experiencing.

What balancer lever do you have? What balancer lever spring do you have? How often do you adjust the balancer lever?

#36 ·
Vibration!

How many of you are experiencing what you consider excessive vibration?
Only once did I experience more vibration than normal.. I hadn't ridden my KLR for a while and the next time I jumped on it, it seemed more than normal on my 30 mile ride to a friends..

I grabbed a 8mm socket and wrench and when I loosened up the balancer, I felt and hear a slight click... I tightened it back down and the vibration was gone..

I'm using a EM balancer with the longer spring.. I changed it out back in 2006 or so, on my 2002.. It had 8K miles on it and everything was intact when I replaced it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.