Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Front Sprocket Removal

9K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  planalp 
#1 ·
Really, I need a gear puller to get the stock drive sprocket off? Sucker wont budge. The nut came off almost too easy. Put a wood wedge between the tire and swingarm. That worked really good and effortless to remove nut leaning over bike with a 3/4 drive short breaker bar. But now what, drink beer, go to work tomorrow and borrow a puller? Dont want to be trying to pry anything againt the case etc or be banging on the output shaft. Yes, cold Tecate, listen to rest of ball game and relax, I aint goin anywhere am I...?
Thanks,
Steve

#3 ·
Not going anywhere and working on the KLR. Sounds like more beer is required! Most jobs on my bike are not judged in time but rather how many beers I drink to get er done!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy shit .... What a Ride!
Cheers, Nick

#5 ·
Well the doohickey was definitely a 6 pack. Easy job but took 3 hrs. I have to change both tires when I get back from my 1500 km trip to the mountains this weekend and that's another good 6 pack. Mostly cause its frustrating. Might be more like 8 and say screw it half way through. That's one job I hate.

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy shit .... What a Ride!
Cheers, Nick

#7 ·
Right there with yah! Mine turned into a twelve pack. Six during and six after to calm down. Didn't test ride until the next day... Not looking forward to when I have to switch mine out next time. It'll most likely be both... Gonna keep it down to a sixer this time though. I know what to expect At least.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#6 ·
The sprocket was a three beer extravaganza! It took a couple more to clean up and put the tools away though... Was being kinda carefull as I had the bike on wood blocks and didn't want to have a catastrophic failure. First time pulling the rear wheel was an easy adventure. I have a lot of parts showing up later this week or early next, including a center stand from HT. So now it's an Ortega chili pepper jack burger (home made bbq) another cervesa and then involuntary horizontal configuration (my back is killing me).
As a side note: The sprocket gaurd required a little filing on the lower edge to keep the chain from rubbing, but the 16t went right on in there easily and the stock chain is plenty adjustable for this mod. Tomorrow test ride after work and re-adjust chain if it settles in.

#8 ·
Seriously, the Doohicky mod is a full sixer? I can see it now, me crawling around the gargage looking for the stupid 8mm socket and 4" extension so I can maybe get the covers back on...urg, urp... Eat first, that's the ticket. And why does the motor make that loud clackity clack noise...?
I have found the ******** haven't I, god bless the internet...

#9 ·
call it what you want..

but dont think to many true red necks would know how to use internet...besides speeking of family...

here's a little joke for yal city slickers...
you know three things a red neck ,,will never say!!! ??
hell she an't old enuff!!
NO duck tape ,wont fix that!!
i'm drive-n , better not have another !

hope you are at least laughing (a little) = just for fun...lol..!!

#10 · (Edited)
LMAO, and the test ride went well. Like the higher gearing, more what I expected, but that tall first gear in tricky offroad would suck, but I am already used to the tall gears of my road cruiser. I did note that the aftermarket 16t sprocket is hecka louder than the rubber cushioned stock 15t. I figure with only 250 miles on the stock chain it was now or never and a little gear oil and break in should help a little, but it is smooth, just makes more noise, no crunching or weirdness that accompanies (whoa, big word) unmatched chains and sprockets. And I was running a really light chain oil after cleaning with WD40. I am now leaning towards gear oil because I have a bunch of it, and a millitary gun cleaning dropper bottle for the road. The gear mil. spec. gear oil bottle must have been for a machine gun or something, can't think of anything else. Don't remember where
i got it. And I'd hate to mix up the 90wt and the 90proof using my little disposable flasks. Is it always about drinking on this thread???

#11 ·
One thing I found with the taller gear, it'll pull well, but there's a big difference between first and second when pulling hard. Rode up Priest's grade with my wife and our bags on the back. 40+% grade switchback. Boy was ot fun... 1st was too short, 2nd too tall. Really tested my turning and shifting skills. I wouldn't switch out the 16 for anything as it fits my riding style well but glad I know it's limits. The noise will go away. I switched mine out at 2100 miles without switching the chain. I know, bad of me, but they broke each other in in about 1000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#12 ·
I may be in the minority here, but I save the first beer for reassembly. It's too easy to get pissed off when a part goes flying across the room, then it's all downhill. Learned this the hard way in 1984 when I started taking apart a 1903 hopkins and allen revolver with a 12-pack at 9pm. Sunrise found me turning the last screw on reassembly and drinking the last beer. The revolver was back to service (pretty amazing since it was last loaded in El Paso when Poncho Villa was a threat) and I was beat tired.

#13 ·
I hear 'ya. I may be more in the minority than you. I never drink beer when I'm working on the KLR. I screw enough stuff up when I'm sober: throw some beer in the mix and it will most likely go quickly downhill. I'm always afraid I'll overlook something, forget to tighten something, leave out a part, etc.

I save the beer for when the job's done and I've completed a test ride if necessary.

Playing pool and throwing horseshoes: those are the only 2 things I've found that I'm better at when I've been drinking beer.

#14 ·
I like my beer, and I like my KLR. But I never mix the two. If I'm working on my bike, and I might be riding later, NO beer for me. I save my beers until I am absolutely positive that I am done riding (or driving) for the day.

Tried a new-to-me beer last week: Castlerock. If you've never tried it, give it a shot, especially if you like a darker beer.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 · (Edited)
well
a fifth of SAILER JERRY will sure help ,two buddy strip down.. to replace a pistion blew a hole in?? was my first dual-sport 86 honda 250xl---ya the one with the RED grenade motor,dual carb,= good only for race/flat track ,with team to tune/rebuild for each race..
we started ofter work an little cook out ..it started getting dark,, so started striped her down ,got all parts laid out (yes,, with couple shots here an there) had manual= both had worked on two strokes but never a four!!

so well,,didn't stop us , as we where all good ,new pistion/rings ,untill came to line --TOP DEAD CENTER-- that gave us bit of a trouble, as chain would not move, things not looking good..
so messing with it ,trying to figure it out, damn buddy, grabs ol trusty(th hammer) as i'am screaming at him,,,NO !!,

for my luck,, area working in ,had pool table.. SO a little breck (yes more shots) couple games ,,an bit of looking at the manual again...

OH we didnt know about that "special triger" just move this here an ,,AH what do ya know,,lets chain move!!!

so then able to aline TDC,, new gaskets and put all parts back .. as started slow, making sure to , label/seperate bolts, in groups/placement...

all buttoned up,,,take out side, sun starting too pop up,,,,couple kicks, let sit-kick again ,, started up!!

rode privite gravel road down and back (me then buddy) no apparent problems...as with the bike anyway!!

park the bike an passed out!!

oh yes ,,we finshed the job an the fifth!!

Ol sailer jerry sure, helped us slow down,chill out, an figure it out!!!

SO this is what i don't understand:: people talking about saving a beer untill bike is back together.. guess you all ,,always finsh what you start...??..
Because i know if do start working on bike an drinking,,if do drink to much to ,and not finish,,,AH don't think can ride bike in peices.!.!.!

when working on bike i plan , time to work on it,,parts i need,, and yes some thing good to drink or even eat !! as am working so hard,,on my day off!!

as to simple tasks,,change a tire for a ride hopeing to do when task is finished =no beer(before twelve),,if it brecks in middle of road,,my first stop is not the bar..

EQUALS:: when i do drink..i found is better, just too go ahead and take off a tire!!

just in case feel like a ride-n.............lol..

#16 · (Edited)
Sailer Jerry? Yikes! My neigbor friend likes that stuff.
KLR will run on that right?
I'll tell ya, I sure wouldn't drink Sierra Torpedo IPA and go wrenching. That's for wenching. Nor go test driving or take on difficult tasks while or after drinking a few beers, potent or not. But hanging out in the garage, with music or the ball game on the radio, a couple of light beers on ice, and lots of mechanical things to take apart is cheap therapy. So this morning I get to go down to the garage with coffee, re-adjust my chain after lowering and check over everything I've done the last few nights, make sure I put the right wheels on the front and back, or the right bike, check tire pressures, oil, etc, etc..., and then go for a nice Saturday morning break-in ride to breakfast. Then re-adjust chain & lube, make another breakin ride and pick up beer and sandwhich at the local deli for hangin out and listen to the Stanley Cup playoff, put the lock on the bike for the night, maybe see if I can re-adjust the Nerf Bars a little. Aftermarket stuff never seems to fit very well. It's a good thing I had a few beers when dealing with some of these accessories or would have blown a gasket. Not really, but was entirely more relaxed about it. Haven't thrown a wrench in many years.

#17 ·
ya littlesteve,,
agreed,,, therapy..but that is whats happens !!next moring get up ,, an look make sure all is in right spot...no extra pieces laying around...

not sure of the topedo/never had,, but do like sierra products!! or any thing in pale ale style..

figure kind of like fishing : ya got too catch some thing...so if get to drink to fish ,your not a fisherman!!

#18 ·
oh hey

with the 16 front, what you running on/for rear sprocket??

i have/like 16-42=for more touring rideing ,,

but just change the rear, to a knobbie an the 16-44 does great for dirt (seems to help lower heat in motor), or when need bit lower gear,and (still hit 80mph+) on street.. it will about stop for you(jake brake) just let off throttle..
the only bad part, with the 44 sprocket on rear, tire is pulled in (with standard chain) may rub muffler,depends on size tire you run..

as have ran 14-42,14-43,(15-40or15-41),15-42,15-43, and yes now the 16 front,, is best for my rideing style

fyi..the 14 front was fun ,off-road= would dig holes ,do wheelies up hill, destroy a tire faster then a pitt bull on crack, and thats it screaming at 50mph on the road. many times wishing for that sixth gear!!

#19 ·
16/43, and seems good for touring, but I haven't rode on the freeway yet. Still breaking in the motor with only 300 miles. Probably next weekend do a couple short runs up onto the the big highway where I know I can get on and off in a short distance. But I have run her up to speed a couple times around town where I can let her loose. Plenty of power seems like. But a lot of vibration I am not used to as I have been riding a big V-star 1300 cruiser last couple years. I'm hoping this will be fine gearing as I want to retain some ability to get offroad even if not too technical.
As for Pale Ale, Torpedo is an IPA about 7.8% I believe. I know of and have had some 8+ IPA's but have since stuck with lighter lagers and such. Perhaps the best out my way are Big Eye from Ballast Point in San Diego, Firestone Double Barrel from up near Solvang someplace, and then there's Eye of the Hawk from Mendocino Brewing up north. But given my druthers, if out and about in the back country, I prefer a milder brew like Red Tail Ale, and at home ussually stick with the Mex lagers like Pacifico from Mazatlan (A really cool place to visit), Tecate, or Modolo. The boss likes his Coors light, and somtimes I have to have a couple with him, but would suggest just pouring it out when no one's looking.

#21 ·
oh no,, not the beast !! ..lol..

to each there,,

there are so many micro-brews out there,,,that really have flavor.. compared to any main (so call, american co.) bud,miller,coors,and any that got sucked up/bought out my the big boys!!!

you know/heard of,,, yuengling is americans oldest bewery!!!! i support smaller companys,,,they have better beers,more flavor,and yes seasonal brews....

only seasonal beer bud,miller, or coors,,ever kind of do ,, is put green food coloring in for st.pattys day,,,oh,,ah,,oooh

do you not get tired of drinking, that same old thing.... you're not married ,to your beer,,,are you ??..lol..

about every time ,i get some beer, it is something different... do have some ,i drink more often then others.....

BUT if see new flavor,, never had,,an looks good.....oh yes ,,,those are the ones,, i look for...

just like my rideing always looking for that new place, road , and or etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.