Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Tubeless Tires????

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Daddyjoe 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever converted their tires to tubeless?

I am in the process of using silicone sealant to cover all the spokes, I will then use tubeless tires on my 04 KLR with stock wheels, I will put a valve stem in like on a car wheel.

I ran into a guy in Quartzsite AZ last Jan that had done this to his KLR,

#2 ·
Tubeless

I am not clear, why do you want to do that?

#7 ·
For a big trip, I'd still carry a tube and tools. Some punctures can't be plugged. Sidewall, etc.

If you do put a tube in a tire that's been plugged, be sure to trim and smooth the earlier plugs on the inside of the tire. They'll ruin a tube very quickly.

#8 ·
So far so good with the tubeless tires.

I put them on the bike today, I had a little trouble getting them to take air, but a strap around the tire did the trick.
I also replace my bent brake disk today, it feels good not to have the bump in the brake now.
I rode the bike from my dad's house over to the CG in the Cumberland Gap National Park, if I don't wake up tomorrow with two flats I will know it works.

#11 ·
I don't know how it worked past the first couple months. (you would have to ask the person that stole the bike)

If I did it again I would put duct tape over the silicone after it dried to keep the silicone from "slinging" out while the wheel was rolling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.