Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

16 tooth sprocket swap.

27K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  APJ757 
#1 ·
So I have owned my 08 for two months. When I got it It came with a 16 tooth sprocket. I had thought about putting it on but as I am a big guy I held off. So two months later and almost 3K miles I figured I would give it a try as I am doing 72 miles a day round trip to work. I have no clue if it will help the mileage but after one ride I can tell you the ride is mutch better. The engine is less buzzy and I dont feel like I am about to blow the darn thing up at a GPS speed of 72. If you are on the fence about this go for it, I should have done it sooner.....

#2 ·
Agreed. I wanted to go with a 17 tooth or a 16 & drop the rear to a 40. I took some advice and tried the 16 up front and I am pretty happy. Not as buzzy like you said and mine also stopped using oil.

On the 18th I'll have had the bike for 2 months. I am already at 5,000 miles. Most of my riding is at 70+ as well.

#3 ·
I have an '08 as well and i am just doing some mods/upgrades, one of which is the 16/42 sprocket setup. Mine uses oil at 5500rpm for long periods and I heard statements that with a 16T sprocket the rpms drop 400-500 for the same speed, bringing the bike to a state of not consuming oil.

#6 ·
2 days riding on the 16t front. i really like it. 500 rpm less, much nicer cruise in top gear. wish i did it sooner. no dirt report yet, but still feels pretty snappy.

#8 ·
Two week update.

Thats a great way to descirbe it Steve" Really Forced". So after two weeks I am happy to report that I am still happy and the power loss in the dirt is no major deal. I am a big guy and on big hills in the dirt I can notice a power loss starting on big hills but its nothing that cant be delt with.

#9 ·
For clarification really forced relates perhaps more to the 22-cent mod. The motor just didn't seem right to me so I tried it. It seems to rev better now, zippier. Not like it's fighting itself. "Forced" really is the best description I could come up with and what popped into my mind when I road it around. There are probably better ways to go about tuning the carb but I considered two things, inexpensive, and minor change with mileage considerations. I'll know more when I fill the tank up tomorrow, but having fun and enjoying the ride seems to outweigh any previous thoughts about leaving the bike alone and riding it bone stock.
I had put the 16t on prior to that as I was in third gear just clearing an intersection, and the stock gearing seemed all wrong for riding around town let alone heading out on a road trip. I also figure that once I load my camping touring gear on it will be more of a drit road bike and I never intended to go full on dirt biking with this KLR as it would be way too big for me in that respect. But I can see where 1st gear might be a bit luggish as a more dirt oriented ride. Seeking only dirt roads with no black diamond riding and needing highway speeds to get there I'm pretty happy with the way things are coming together.

#10 ·
I tried the 16 for about 13000 miles. Including a trip to prudoe bay Alaska and back to kentucky. Back to stock gearing and liking it much better. It always felt like the engine was lugging to me. Stock gearing seems to fit me better on the twisty back roads as well. YMMV.

#11 ·
Yeah for sure it's personal choice and riding style. I'm just a mello cruiser and being all woound up already at 50 mph just didn't seem right, and to me it seems so long as I'm at the low end of the power band but not lugging is more my style. We'll see, I havn't the experience yet as some of you have. I think aggressive dirt riding is a whole different outlook also whereas I just want to get to where I want to go. 13,000 miles is a worthy test though.

#12 ·
I encourage everyone to try it. The cost is so low and the install is easy peasy. Some have even gone to a 17 on the front. I can't see it but some like it. One fellow was running 17/40 or 17/38. Un freaking believeable! You could hit 50 MPH in 1st I bet!

#13 ·
yeah that seems extreme. Can't see going 17t either as the 16t is already a pretty tight fit in there. I know one can trim and make some room, but?
I tried my OEM tall windscreen with the HT Rallye windscreen mount that moves it forward and tilts it up and the bike was then really struggling at higher speed to push thru the wind, big difference. But as you say, the sprocket is inexpensive trial. I think mine was $8.00 and looked to be of high quality, still looks brand new with a few hundred miles on it.

#14 ·
I threw the sprocket in with an order. Thought I'd give it a try. How hard is it to break the 15t loose the 1st time? Stock length chain fit? Just need to scoot the rear tire in some?
Thanks

#16 ·
I have the 16/43 combo and I think it's perfect for this bike. I ride mostly backroads and some interstate at around 70 mph. If I was going to ride mostly dirt with this bike I'm pretty sure I would go down to around a 14t front sprocket. I've ridden a little dirt with the 16t and it's geared too high for my taste.

#19 · (Edited)
It's a 27mm, a 1 1/16 fits also. Don't forget to bend down the washer tab!

Do you have an air impact wrench? You can do it on the stand if you do. Tranny in first of course.

If not you'll need someone to sit on the bike and hold the brakes. Helps to have the front wheel up against something or the back wheel off a curb.

Use a breaker bar on the socket, more leverage and keeps you from smacking your hand!

There's a post on ADV where the guy holds the brakes by himself (here) but it's way easier if you can get help.

#20 ·
Cool, thanks, I'll go look for one of those. Hopefully Autozone will. I'll hit'r with the impact.

#21 ·
A KLR bud had the socket.
Got the 16t installed and rode it back to him.
The one thing I'm not too happy about is the offset of the sprocket. Lying them on my bench and they weren't perfectly inline. Did you guys notice this? Is it an issue?

With the 15t my rpms were 4k at an indicated 65 mph. 3k at 50mph. I'm running a 130/90 17 rear tire, so it's taller which lowers the rpms as well.
Now with the 16t the rpms are around 300 lower. Not a huge change, but for me, it feels perfect. Time will tell if I really like, but I don't forsee me changing my mind.

Reactions: Molen
#22 ·
It's been awhile since I've had my front sprocket off (it's a Primary Drive). Doesn't one side have a thicker shoulder? I think that that side goes towards the motor. Shouldn't matter much which side is out, the chain has some lateral play.

#23 ·
I know this is an old thread, but had to yell,, after 3 years on my 09' KLR650. I decided I'd give the 16 ago, (thanks to this thread) since I'm more of a 90/10 driver,,and my 10 is normally hard packed fire trails, Lil back ground I'd done the .22$ mod, as well as a few other mods,, anyway after a week of trial runs ( all under 100 miles) the difference for me is HUGE. Not sure why some are only getting a 300 rpm difference,, mine is a 700-900 rpm difference minimum,, I use to be at 5000 rpm at 70mph. Now I'm running 4300 all day long,, 75 /4500. And I'm not winding out 3 gears through an intersection any longer :) I'm thinking run a 14 front if you wanna go more dirt. And 16 for more street, Btw. I'm 180 lbs so might be the main rpm difference,,, and yeah breaking the nut loose took 2 peeps for me. One footing the brake, and me with a breaker bar on the other side,, tried solo but way to awkward for me.

#24 ·
For me commuting to work and riding with no load on the bike the 16 was OK. I weigh in at 190 by the way. But on long trips with camping gear on the bike not so good. I felt there just was not enough motor at times. Strong headwinds and long hills on the slab had me wanting more ponies all the time. I was also downshifting all the time. Then a failed crank bearing at 29K. May not be related but... I think it better to run the motor at higher RPMs then lugging.

That said I still think the higher gearing is good for some folks and it is cheap to try. I comute to work and never get out of 55 MPH or lower zones so stock gearing is plenty high.

#25 ·
I too had the 16 tooth sprocket on my 2008 and went back to the 15 tooth. I do not tour on my KLR (I have a GL1800 for that) so I don't have a need for highway speeds much. It seemed as though I was always downshifting trying to keep the engine happy. My KLR is much happier now and has a lot more snap with the stock gearing.

My 2006 has a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket on it and just riding around town or some light fire road riding that is what I like the best. At 260 lbs I am no lightweight so having gearing to match my heft is what I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.