Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

KLR starting problems

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sticksnstones 
#1 ·
I've had starting problems with my new 2009 model. I've read a few posts about problems with the 08's ...

COMPLAINT: UNIT WILL NOT START
CAUSE: NO COMPRESSION
CURE:GRIND DOWN DECOMPRESSION PART OF CAM

My bike went back to the dealer and he fixed it by grinding the decompression cam as described above (I copied this from another site and it refers to an 08 by the way). He did say he'd come across the problem on 08's but theis was the first time on an 09.

Anyone else have this problem with an 09??

Fingers crossed, this is the only issue I have to deal with.

#2 ·
Hi all,
My low milage 05 didn't want to start this afternoon.
Been sitting for a few weeks and has never had an issue.

What happened?

Well, I had it in nuetral, full choke, ignition on...normal start procedure.
I hit the starter and it made a click (clunk?) and shut off the nuetral light and headlight.
I repeat the start procedure (including turning the key off then back on again).
Lights all come back on then...Same thing; click, then all dead again.
Sounded like the starter shifting but can't be sure.
Took a punt that it may have a dead battery and tried to bump start it.
Nothing.
Tried to start it with the key & starter again and it just fired up instantly.
Tried repeatedly to get it to repeat the problem but now it starts perfectly.
What could have been the problem?
I was thinking corrosion in the starter or a bad connection somewhere but any advice would be a help.
I just don't want it to pull this trick on me, out in the scrub somewhere and leave me stranded,:29:
cheers,
S'n'S.:13:

#3 ·
The symptoms you describe suggest to me, poor electrical connection(s), resulting in intermittent open circuit.

Check, tighten and clean as necessary all main electrical power connections; most notably, battery +. Use a SOCKET, in contrast to a screwdriver, on the battery post connectors.

Another possibility, safety switch chaos/disarray. Wiggle the clutch lever next time this happens (I know, even though the transmission is in neutral).

You can Google "KLR650 wiring diagram," perhaps discovering other likely suspects with a multimeter, if the problem persists.

#4 ·
Yep, Damocles,
I'm suspecting the battery terminals may have developed a bit of a poor connection as for the few weeks the bike was sitting with the seat and side covers were off and we've had some humid rainy weather.
It was under covers and in a shed but up in my area the humid air gets into everywhere.

I had to fiddle with the clutch safety when I first got the bike but that time it simply refused to start, it didn't shut off all the electricals alltogether like this latest problem.

After I got it running (today), I took it for a series of runs, stopping and restarting it repeatedly with no issues so at my next oportunity I'm going to go through the main electrical feed and check for corrosion and loose contacts.
Hopefully it is just the battery terminals but thanks for getting back to me.
I couldn't work out how to post a new thread so I had to tack my query onto an old one as a reply and hope someone had a look.
cheers.
S'n'S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.