Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Shortening the Side Stand

10K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  DXKLR 
#1 ·
I am a new owner of a 2006KLR that was lowered 2 inches. I'm having trouble getting off the bike because it is too upright. I am an older female who is maybe?? not quite normal. Can I shorten the side stand or is there a better solution for me. Gotta ride!

#2 ·
KLR650.com located at the top of the forum window has this shortened stand. Or you could have someone cut an inch or two out of the center of yours, then weld it back together. A professional welder could do it and make it safe. Shouldn't cost that much either.

Pic of KLR650's stand:

#3 · (Edited)
Well, Hello! from one older female rider to another:60: I got the 2 inch lowering links for my KLR and stopped at a friends house to see if he would put them on (hubby at work and I was anxious) so the friend put them on and he took it for a little jaunt down the road and came back and got off and I got right back on and said Hey, I gotta go!!! He's like, "whats your hurry??" I can't put the kickstand down now to park it--we both had a good laugh and I ride away-got home and leaned it on a rock flower bed and got my sons dirtbike triangle and propped it up--I am lucky to have guys that my hubby works with that cut it off and rewelded the foot back on(love those guys) surely you can find someone that can do that for ya...Kay

oh, and we probably aren't quite normal--I like it that way!!
Oh my gosh-just read your bio-could be me-trade artist for piano player--thinking today while I rode to get art supplies,I garden,do artwork , have my own toolbelt and ride a motorcycle-have my own 357/38 special-gotta be in the minority!!! Dontcha love it!!!

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. It is comforting to meet another female rider. Thought something was wrong with me. I have only been riding for about 7 months. My main ride is a BMW F800ST. Hope that does not upset anyone. Got the KLR to improve riding skills and go on backroads. Spent last week on a 2500 mile ride with hubby and guys in the Big Bend National Park in South Texas. It was wonderful riding with great scenery. Look forward to more long trips. Felt weird driving a car after we arrived back home.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info. I've ordered a shorter side stand. I have discovered I can dismount on the other side and not drop the bike.
Still trying to break the bike in. That's a darn slow process. We went for a ride yesterday and it's very frustrating keeping an eye on the RPM's and having all the cars pass you. This bike is so different from my other bike which is a ST type. Yesterday really helped my confidence with the new position. Getting close to 200 miles on odometer.

#9 · (Edited)
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Give this site a look over. I started out doing the factory thing, then decided to ride it like I stole it. I had always broke my car engines that I built like this guy suggests and never had a problem with oil consumption or anything else. So far my bike will use less oil than my buddies 05 when we ride them hard up into the higher RPM's for extended periods. It is just a thought I am neither saying it is the correct way or incorrect, it is simply up to the person to decide. As for the kickstand, the factory foot is bad for sinking into soft ground and dirt. I went to the hardware store and picked up a washer that was about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and welded it onto the foot. So far it hasn't even thought about sinking short of setting it down in soft mud. I think if you do a search of my posts I should have a picture of it.

Heres my post on the footpad
http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=2825&highlight=kickstand

#10 ·
Greetings, I found a cheap used one on ebay, cut out one inch on a friends bandsaw (approx 3 inches from base), found a piece of steel tubing that fit on the inside of the tube about 5 1/2 inches long, used JB weld to put the pieces together. So good so far and the lean is now safe. I lowered mine one and a half inches in the rear and the stand was just a bit too long in my mind. Good luck with your fix.
tessy2

#11 ·
Good idea. I ordered a new stand, have not received it yet. However, I have been able to get on and off the bike on the opposite side. Not the best way, but it works. Finally have 360 miles on KLR. Breaking in is a bitch. Not that I want to fly down the road, but power in reserve is great. Husband found an 07 KLR and we are naming mine "Thumper 1" and his "Thumper 2." Now have to find a cute rabbit decal. Have you seen one?

#15 ·
I don't have a doohickey yet. Neither does my husband. Will have to ask them about it at the motorcycle shop. From what I've seen on the Forum that is the most important upgrade. My husband wants to upgrade the brakes to the 2008 model. He read about it in Consumer Motorcycle News. He's a lawyer and has to have the safest products. Been involved in too many product liability cases. Me, I'm just a southern white girl, who goes with the flow and accepts things as they are most of the time.

#16 ·
You dealer will probably be like mine. Dealers response: I've never heard of any problems with the doohickey, :insert correct term;. It is something you will probably have to address yourself.

#17 ·
\Dealers response: I've never heard of any problems with the doohickey,
You're right on the money with that. My dealer actually told me that the upgrade to Eagle Mike's stuff was a very good idea, but that it was completely off the record..

ocatjack,
The doohickey that DXKLR is talking about is already on your bike, but the factory units often fail, causing some pretty severe damage occasionally. The aftermarket unit costs $40 and takes a couple hours (and a couple beers) to install. I'd recommend it for any KLR, as if the unit doesn't fail, the spring might.

Also, when changing the oil be sure to remember to pull the metal tube out of the old filter and install it in the new filter. Many a tube has been thrown away with the old filter, and then the oil isn't actually being filtered anymore.:mad0235:

Most people catch it before tossing the filter, but a heads up on the subject is better than missing it because you didn't know.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.