Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Radiator Fan Switch

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Dan Diego 
#1 ·
After setting up my wiring for my cooling system (on the bench) I tested it... fan, relay, battery and fan switch submerged in hot water.... nothing happened.... So I linked up my DMM to the fan switch and tested it.. turns out it is dead.

So.... Looking online the prices for this switch are crazy!

Anyone know of another switch that will fit from a different bike?

Regards

#3 · (Edited)
I am struggling to find anything within budget... From research I know the thread type is M18 x 1.5 ....

I can only find shorter switches though and am worried that if I were to install one that the tip of the switch would not be in the water stream and not activate when it should... so if i were to install one with a lower activation temp it would kick in before the coolant got too hot right?

Can anyone confirm this and give your thoughts.

Thanks

#4 ·
There are times when you have to bite the bullet and pay the price - this appears to be one of them. Why take any unnecessary risks with unknowns. Try a wrecker/eBay otherwise the dealer and get the right part.

#5 ·
I will never bite the bullet and pay those prices! This is an off road project so budget is essential!

I will find a way of fitting another switch if I have to.. Even if that means drilling and tapping the existing hole to fit a larger switch. I would rather find an M18 x 1.5 that has the reach if I can first though.

Its a simple choice of pay £50 for the OEM part or £10 for one thats not OEM

#6 ·
Millhouse,
If your that concerned about the price, why not just a simple TOGGLE SWITCH?
Better to OVER cool than, UNDER cool. Your choice!
pdwestman

#8 ·
Update :

After searching round for a switch to fit I could not find anything in my local parts shops... so i went home and thought about what could fail on the switch... It has not been activated for a long long time and i wondered if it could simply be a little seized.... So out came the SMD Rework station with the heat gun set to 180c .... DMM connected after about 5 minutes it showed continuity!!! Tested in water and voila it now works :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.