Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Whats the best Tire??????

15K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  crayola 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to change tires on the KLR and am looking for a tire that would be a good 50/50 tire. I don't get into really nasty stuff off road, mostly FS roads, creeks etc. I also take a ocasional road trip. Maybe it's wishfull thinking but is there a tire out there that is aggressive for dirt but still has good road grabbing ??????

#3 ·
Look at the Kenda tires. Pretty good tires, and fairly inexpensive.

The K270 is probably more aggressive than you need, but it will work for those occasional road trips.

For what you are describing, the K761s will work quite well.

Tom

#4 ·
I'm happy with my Kenda K761s, great price, holding up well.
I ride 85/15 paved/gravel.
My friend has them on his KLX, rides 50/50 paved/gravel and likes them as well.

#7 ·
#8 ·
hey dad, I rode today too. On my 08 klr.
I have used up the oem tires (4k mi), then avon distanzias for 5k mi, now on the new michelin T63 dot knobs, they have about 3500 mi on them.
They do well in the dirt, but they amaze me on the pavement. I regularly touch pegs down on pavement. They do make some knob noise but I like them.
I am in Jasper, ga. Where are you? (ne ga.)

#11 ·
Stock tires for my 08 where finished at 5000 miles, I finally decided on Continental Escapes at 54000. I probably only do about 5 – 10 % of my miles off road (seasonal type roads) and a good 90- 95% on roads. These Contis seem to be good for me. They seem to stick better in the corners and seem fine on the limited type of off-road.

What I’d really like to find is a tire that can last more than 5000 miles.

#15 ·
i burned through the oe dunlop in 2k mi and hated it, and 2 mefo99s in another 12k mi they were very nice but not in the muck , i just installed a metzler enduro 3 sahara, and cant believe ive went this long w/o one, good on the road, great in the dirt andmuch better in the muck than the mefos,as i only have 400 mi on it, the jury is still out on tread life, but i still think ill choose these over the mefos, 146$ to the door from mc superstore.com

#18 · (Edited)
I got 4000+ miles on the maxxis 6006, the front is cupping but I think I could get another 1000 or so out of them. For the price I couldn't go wrong, ( $100 bucks for the pair )There worth a try.
A little loud if you don't air them to at least 28 or 29psi.
I wanted to try something new so I got a set of T63s , $55 & $56 at bandit
So many tires so little time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.