Oil leak - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions

2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Flight Officer

Default Oil leak

has anyone had an issue of an oil leak at the cylinder head cover or cylinder head gasket on a '08 or newer bike, I have a phantom oil leak that only shows up around the cylinder area, while riding, (under a load) it doesn't show up while on the side stand , running at different RPMs, I did have the oil up to the upper level of the sight glass, thinking it might be too much, so I drained some but haven't got to ride due to weather.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why

Icepick -

Have not heard of that as a common complaint. Have you ever had the valve cover off?

T

'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte
Old 02-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Flight Officer

yes to fix the original leak, but it is now fixed and i still get the phantom leak.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Icepick -

You may need to put a picture up! What's a phantom leak?Is it just kinda all over the place and you can't tell where it's coming from?

T

'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used.” -Napoleon Bonaparte
Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Colonel

Check the o-ring seal located on the oil filler cap. They are prone to falling off. I had a phantom leak that was driving me nuts. My right pants leg would get "misted" with oily residue. O-ring had flown the coop. There was residue around the head area, leading me to believe the source was from the head cover gasket, one of the head cover bolt grommets went bad, poltergeist....

Might also want to check your shock for leaks, as well as the fork seals. Either of those can deposit traces of oil on the head.
[IMG]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/vatrader01/KLR%20mechanical/04e28c5e.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT="Century Gothic"][I]Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith[/I] [/FONT]
Old 02-24-2011, 04:51 PM

Ah! That kind of phantom leak...

Lockjaw had/has an issue with that. As vatrader says, it was with his oil filler area. I can't remember if his cap was leaking too, but he did have a problem with the oil filter plate not fitting right.

T

Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Colonel

Kinda drastic, and . . . I ain't never done it, but . . . one can buy some special DYE, add it to the oil in the sump . . . then, when the oil leaks, under either IR or UV light (I think it's UV; included in the kit), the oil leaked flouresces, showin the source . . .

Ain't too expensive, but . . . never employed the method myself; Google key words and you'll find lots of hits . . . shouldn't wonder if several marketing offers don't appear!

Just to get you started:

http://www.tracerline.com/faq.html

Last edited by Damocles; 02-24-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Flight Officer

Default Phantom leak

I cannot tell where the leak is coming from, it only leaks when I'm riding the bike, with the wind blowing as the bike is moving, it spreads the oil around and the leak point is undetectable, thus the "Phantom" leak, I cleaned the engine as best I can, and going riding tomorrow, I will put talcum powder on the engine and try to find the originating point of the leak.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icepick View Post
I will put talcum powder on the engine and try to find the originating point of the leak.
Maybe that procedure is as good as or better than the UV light and dye test mentioned two posts above.

If not a serious leak; maybe . . . ain't no thang.

Regardless, good luck!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Flight Officer

Default pressure??

has any one noticed after shutting down the engine, and taking the oil filler cap off there is quite a bit of pressure still in the crank case?
is that normal? I would think there would be not pressure after shut down, thoughts, input???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement