Road test - with progressive springs, fork brace, and raising links installed - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions

2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Flight Officer

Default 2009 - Road test - with progressive springs, fork brace, and raising links installed

2009 KLR-650 Fork Brace, Raising Links, and Progressive Fork Spring Installation Testing:

Today I took her for a road test after finishing up putting new progressive fork springs in, an Eagle Mike fork brace on, and some of Mike's R1 raising links on - as well.

The improvement during my road test today was very noticeable. WOW - a higher, stronger and more stable feeling bike. Very nice. I weigh about 220, and with riding gear and a backpack on that takes it up to about 250.

Notes:

1) NEW SEAT HEIGHT: The overall new seat height of the bike with the R1 raising links installed is now 36" from the concrete floor to he lowest part of the stock seat. I forgot to measure it before I put them on - so I don't know what it was before the raising links went on. I'm 6 foot with a 32" inseam, and with my boots on did not notice any severe change when putting my feet down - but the bike is definitely higher. I liked it.

2) NO MORE MUSH DOWN: When I mount the bike, it's not as mushy as it was before - the rear shock is still too weak and is gonna get redone or replaced - - but with the new raising links, the overall drop when I get on the bike is less now. It's stiffer. It does still load down when you climb on, but not as bad as it was doing. I set the pre-load to 3 and the screw at the bottom of the shock adjusted to about half way. It's definitely better in town, and on the highway too now. As noted above, it starts at 36" and probably sags when mounted about 2 or 3 inches total.

3) STIFFER STRONGER FEELING FRONT END: The front end seems to be much improved as well. I believe it's stiffer, and stronger than before. It feels more solid and planted, more like the last bike - a V-Strom - did. I liked it on the highway today better than before. The 70 MPH wobble it had before still showed up a hair, but that could be wheel balance or the front fender too. I've read a lot of posts that describe it as a feature maybe, not an anomaly? I don't know for sure. I did have it up to 95 on the stock speedo, and it was solid. I like it!

4) FRONT FENDER: I have not replaced my stock front fender yet. I have one on hand, but need to get it fitted up. I think it's gonna help too with front end stability. I'll update again when I get that installed.

Some pics of the Eagle Mike Fork Brace and Raising Link installs on the 2009 KLR-650:

more images;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6054519...7626253783212/

------------------------------------

Some pics of the Progressive Fork Springs install on the 2009 KLR-650:
Images of the progressive spring install.

2009 KLR-650 front forks Progressive Spring mod / change out- install image set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6054519...7626122567129/

Overall, these three mods, the fork springs, the fork brace, and the raising links, were all worth the money from the way the bike felt on the road today. What it's gonna feel like in the dirt and on trails and in sand and gravel may be a different story. It's definitely higher, stiffer, less "mushy" on mount, and more solid at speed now.

AM

-----------------------
-----------------------
FENDER INSTALL UPDATE - Installed the new front fender today from Cyrca - then road tested it today out on the superslab: Opinion; Significantly improves the stability of the front end of the bike (the steering). I believe it is due to the new fender having less surface area, and less "beak" angle, working together to reduce the destabilizing impact the oncoming air has that's moving on the bikes steerable parts (forks - fender - bars), allowing it to stay more planted, remain more stable at speed, and move more easily through the oncoming air stream when going straight and when turning.

Here's a comparison of the two fenders:

Last edited by Adventure-Moto; 03-19-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Update - New front fender installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 AM
General

Excellent!!
While some wonder why anyone would spend money on a new motorcycle, the fact is that no bike is perfect for everyone, straight out of the box.

Making the bike yours is part of the fun of ownership for many.

My 02' always felt less than solid, and a bit squishy.. I installed Progressive Springs, a fork brace, and a MOAB rear shock and it's a different motorcycle than what I started out with..

Not only is it better on the rough stuff, it's better on the street too.

A-M, you sound like you're starting to really like that bike..
Old 03-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Flight Officer

Thanks Paper,

Man, it sure does feel better! I'm really happy with the KLR. I had a V-Strom DL-650 last year, and I'm really happy I made the change to the KLR. I still love the V-strom even though I sold it, but the KLR is a much more capable dirt type bike off road - it truly is an overgrown dirt bike.

From what I've read and experienced this year, the KLR is just not built with all the high dollar components that a BMW or KTM might have off the showroom floor. That's why the KLRs are such a great value. For someone my weight, the suspension needed help right off the bat, and I'm glad to have addressed at least partially both front and rear. The rear shock is the next thing on my list, and it's good to hear you've seen good results on the upgrades you made.

The KLR-650 is an amazingly versatile motorcycle! And like everything else in the world, it's probably even better with bacon! I wonder if there's a bacon mod for the KLR? Maybe a bacon dispenser next to a GPS holder?

AM

Last edited by Adventure-Moto; 03-13-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 AM
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure-Moto View Post
The KLR-650 is an amazingly versatile motorcycle! And like everything else in the world, it's probably even better with bacon! I wonder if there's a bacon mod for the KLR? Maybe a bacon dispenser next to a GPS holder?

AM
Oh, there's a future here for you..
Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Threadjacker

You're gonna be amazed at the difference a new front fender makes!

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Flight Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
You're gonna be amazed at the difference a new front fender makes!
Lockjaw, I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but what fender do you run and does it come in black?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Threadjacker

Acerbis Supermoto, and yeah, mine's black. I don't remember where I got it, but you can get it here:

Amazon Amazon

Easy to install. Best bang for the buck Mod I can think of.

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.

Last edited by Lockjaw; 03-13-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Flight Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
Acerbis Supermoto, and yeah, mine's black. I don't remember where I got it, but you can get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-Univer...0066065&sr=8-1

Easy to install. Best bang for the buck Mod I can think of.
Thanks, I'll check it out...
Old 03-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Flight Cadet

Cool fender, does it extend as far forward as the stock fender?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Lieutenant

Do you know if the Acerbis Supermoto will go on a Gen I?
Advertisement