Any thought on nerf bars? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > General Forum > KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion

KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Flight Officer

Default Any thought on nerf bars?

While I think I may want to get front nerf bars, as a start it looks like I can buy the ones for the back cheap enough and can install them myself.

saw this on ebay:

Wont let me post url so item number is 110660649530
2008 KLR 650 Side Utility Racks KLR650 BLACK

Are they all the same or would these do for the back in your opinion?

I figure being new any protection I can get for her would be good.

And while im at it, do I want to change the doo-hickey now with the bike being new?

Mine is a 2011

Last edited by Anthony; 03-15-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Colonel

Nerf Bars? Sounds like an awsome idea! Everyone goes and plays with various Nerf products while getting drunk.

Oh wait, you mean crash bars? Luggage racks won't really do much for you and I've witnessed too many of the post 08 crash bars bend. Hell, even just falling over bent one guys bar so bad he couldn't turn his petcock anymore. Had to take a tow strap and tie it to my truck bumper to pull it far enough out to make it accessible again.
Now if your a pre 08 owner I have to say the best purchase I've ever made for my bike was an IMS tank. More protection than any crash bar I've seen. Bark busters are also a good farkle for the KLR since a lot of drops of the bike occure against the handle bars resulting in broken mirrors or levers.
However, money better spent IMHO is a bash plate, especially if you intend to go offroad. I went through two of the plastic guards before I finally decided they are worth the $$$. Now I don't know how I made it down the trail without one.

ADVFilmer videos of trails, reviews and other dual sport related stuff. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
Old 03-15-2011, 05:31 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
While I think I may want to get front nerf bars, as a start it looks like I can buy the ones for the back cheap enough and can install them myself.

saw this on ebay:

Wont let me post url so item number is 110660649530
2008 KLR 650 Side Utility Racks KLR650 BLACK

Are they all the same or would these do for the back in your opinion?

I figure being new any protection I can get for her would be good.

And while im at it, do I want to change the doo-hickey now with the bike being new?

Mine is a 2011

I have been looking at crash bars for my 08. There is some info on the thread I linked below. From what Iíve read and based on how they wrap the side panels, I like the HTís the best so far.

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=10206
Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Flight Cadet

I just bolted on the HT Crash Bars onto my 09'. They were super easy to install and look great.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Colonel

Please do a test for me, take your bike and forget to put the kick stand down. I wanna hear if those bars actually do something more than just look good.

ADVFilmer videos of trails, reviews and other dual sport related stuff. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Flight Cadet

Ha Ha, no thanks.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_50 View Post
Ha Ha, no thanks.
No takers? I mean my 06 took a low speed low side last summer with the only damage being a slightly bent gear shifter. I think these high cost crash bars are really junk and hate to see anyone rely on them to protect their bike in a drop or lay down.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Threadjacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
No takers? I mean my 06 took a low speed low side last summer with the only damage being a slightly bent gear shifter. I think these high cost crash bars are really junk and hate to see anyone rely on them to protect their bike in a drop or lay down.
Not on the Gen2. If I eat it and can save any plastic it will save money. I agree to a certain extent on the Gen1's...the plastic can take a lot more abuse. But the hard plastic on the Gen2's is too damn expensive.

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
Not on the Gen2. If I eat it and can save any plastic it will save money. I agree to a certain extent on the Gen1's...the plastic can take a lot more abuse. But the hard plastic on the Gen2's is too damn expensive.
Someday someone will make many$$$$$ making an IMS tank that will work on the gen 2 KLR. I guess the greatest protection is to toss your body under the bike. lol

Old 03-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Flight Cadet

I wouldnt say that I rely on these bars to save my bike in a crash but they reduce the damage and dont cost very much compared to the cost of the plastic. Buildit - you have some cool video's on you page, thanks for posting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement