Opinions -> Giant Loop - Great Basin Saddlebag? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > Bike and Rider Gear

Bike and Rider Gear For discussions on different gear for the ride & rider.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Lieutenant

Default Opinions -> Giant Loop - Great Basin Saddlebag?

I've been doing a ton of research on panniers when I came across the Great Basin saddlebag from Giant Loop. This setup looks like it'd save a fair amount of weight on the bike as well as distributing it better than hard panniers.

I also like the fact that I wouldn't have to install large mounting brackets on the back of the bike (cleaner when not using luggage IMO).

The price of the system is not too bad compared to hard bags, so what's the downside? Any opinions?

Thanks,
Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Captain

can't really be secured to the bike and locked, one reason like my hard bags is because i can lock supplies in them safely on the bike
PPMC #8

Ridin an 08 and loving every second of it
Old 06-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbsar View Post
can't really be secured to the bike and locked, one reason like my hard bags is because i can lock supplies in them safely on the bike
I didn't consider this. That's definitely something to think about.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Colonel

Soft: I have soft bags because I am cheap. Rain would be one reason but I recently found 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags to store things in. A friend recently had one of his soft bags cut off of his KLR while it was parked. I am going to try and zip-tie a couple points of the bags to the HT OSR. Soft bags can be narrower. I live in California and we can split lanes where wide is not good.

Hard: If you ride off-road hard bags can cause damage to your leg if it gets caught under the box. Mounting the box higher can help with this problem. Agree with the security issue. Agree about being heavier. Agree about cost.

2005 KLR 685
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere 7/30/2011
Old 06-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
A friend recently had one of his soft bags cut off of his KLR while it was parked.
Hmmm that's discouraging.
I guess a lot of the theft/vandalism issues will depend on location, luck, etc,... I think even with the hard boxes I'd still be a little paranoid to leave my things unattended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
I live in California and we can split lanes where wide is not good.
As do I, so I've thought about this as well. Of course with this bike I really don't intend to be around a lot of traffic.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:31 PM

I like the Giant Loop and would buy it in a heartbeat if I was going on a trip where I had to pack lots
Old 06-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Colonel

Charlie, just read about the Giant Loop and I like it. The compartmentalization is very nice and would make retrieving whatever you wanted simple. My only concern is it doesn't seem to hold a tent / accessories and sleepingbag.

Long Haul: Have you looked at the Wolfman Duffle or the likes. Yes it is bigger but it holds camping gear and hopefully enough clothing. 2 1/2 gallon plastic bags can be used to separate things and keep them dry.
Doubtful the Duffle will hold the rain gear and bike cover so this adds saddlebags. The Cortech triple compartment saddlebags will probably give too much room to haul too much. If the sleepingbag or tent can be strapped on top of the duffle it might be doable to fit everything in the duffle and a Pelican (security).

or http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/

2005 KLR 685
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere 7/30/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement