Is tubeless possible - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > General Forum > KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion

KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Recruit

Default Is tubeless possible

Looking for the truth.

I'm looking at buying a KLR 650. I've seen an add for a used bike that says the rims have been sealed so that no innertubes are needed.

Is that possible and is it dependable.

I would appreciate any insight into this issue.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 06:30 PM
K-9 Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to flash

Yeah, Ive seen some techniques for sealing the spoke nipples with epoxy but am not sold.

Maybe this http://tubliss.com/

Unknown
Old 07-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Recruit

Thanks for the response Flash.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake - this whole forum use thing is completely new to me. I'm still trying to figure out how to get around in here.

My main concern about getting a KLR is the possible necessity of changing a tire somewhere in the boonies. Heck, I've never changed a motorcycle tire anywhere. My wee strom didn't present such a problem.

Maybe I'm scared of something thats not that big of deal.

What do ya think?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar 1 View Post

My main concern about getting a KLR is the possible necessity of changing a tire somewhere in the boonies. Heck, I've never changed a motorcycle tire anywhere. My wee strom didn't present such a problem.

Maybe I'm scared of something thats not that big of deal.

What do ya think?
If you are getting a KLR that doesn't use a tube, a trail-side tire repair would be the same as a road-side tire repair on your Suzuki. Remove foreign object, install plug, air-up tire and continue.

If you go with tubes because you don't trust the tube-less 'conversion' then a repair would entail pulling a wheel, etc...

Not that big of a deal, plenty have had to do it over the past century - builds character and teaches humility.

http://www.ridingwv.com/ (not my site)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
Oh, and I ran two quarts of hot oil through before filling her up cause I'm anal.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Sergeant First Class

Getting the tire itself on and off the rim is more than 9/10 of the work: the tube itself is no big deal. Not to detract from your original question, but...

Trust me: if I can change a tubed tire, so can you. It seems kind of intimidating, but it's really very simple.

It would seem to me that you have a lot more and better repair options with a tire and a tube than just a tubeless tire alone.

If you want to practice in your spare time, you can find an old wheel/tire to practice with. I bought one on eBay for $20 and spent the off-season peeling the tire off, poking holes in the tire and tube, repairing them, then remounting. It's a good way to figure out what tools and repair items work for you. If you don't have somebody with experience to help you, there are a lot of good videos available on YouTube that show the basics and folks on this forum are more than willing to answer your questions and recommend the tools they prefer.

I haven't had to do it yet, but carry everything with me and no longer worry about repairing a flat tire roadside because I know I can do it. I had very little experience with tubed motorcycle tires before this.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Yeah, Ive seen some techniques for sealing the spoke nipples with epoxy but am not sold.

Maybe this http://tubliss.com/
What's your take on this "tubliss" thing, flash?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Recruit

Building character and learning humility - sounds like me talking to my kids. There's growth potential here.

Buying an old tire/rim assembly and practicing sounds like very sound advice.

I was just wondering if there was an easy way out.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar 1 View Post

I was just wondering if there was an easy way out.
Don't get a flat.

http://www.ridingwv.com/ (not my site)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
Oh, and I ran two quarts of hot oil through before filling her up cause I'm anal.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Sergeant First Class

My goal for the next off-season was to practice repairs without even taking the wheels off by getting the tire off the rim on one side and just pulling the tube out enough to do so, but don't really see the point since it's no big deal to just take either wheel off and work on it on a stable surface if you have the right tools with you. Of course, this entails carrying more than the standard issue KLR "tool kit."

I just don't see the tubeless thing. How would you ever keep air from leaking out around where the spokes meet the rim? I figure if it was feasible or doable, somebody would have done it by now. Maybe it is, but I know of no popular offerings in this area.

Good question.

I've had a garden tiller and a couple of lawn mowers where I had problems with the tubeless tires going flat all the time, mostly due to the inherent low pressure and dust/dirt that got into the bead. The solution from the local tire store? Just put a tube in them. They haven't gone flat since.

Last edited by planalp; 07-02-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: usual poor grammar
Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Colonel

Bad thing I heard about tubliss is you have to keep it at 100psi which can be hard to do.
They make a tube that's not a full 360 (think of a C that's almost closed) but I don't know if it would get out of balance doing 65mph.
Luckily I have yet to get a flat out in the boonies, which is a good thing because I seldomly carry everything I'd need to fix it.
RMZ250 - Dirty
CRF80 - Kids
CRF70 - Kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement