Any Problems With 2011 KLR 650 - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions

2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Recruit

Default Any Problems With 2011 KLR 650

I am thinking of replacing my 2007 XR650L with a new 2011 KLR 650. Are they still having problems with the doohickey or burning oil in the motors. The local dealership told me that all of the problems had been resolved. Was just wondering what owners were seeing with them. Thanks for any help you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Threadjacker

The doo is better. The spring might need to be replaced. Folks are finding zero tension. My 08 burns oil. But I have my own problems. We accept each other. Would I trade it for another bike?

Nope.

Unsolicited advice? Don't listen to a goddamn word the dealership tells you.

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Flight Officer

They will burn oil. There's a pill for that. The spring on the doohickey needs replaced. There's a pill for that too. There will never be enough pills for lying or ignorance which is a symptom your dealership is displaying.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to efigalaxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_man_rich View Post
They will burn oil. There's a pill for that. The spring on the doohickey needs replaced. There's a pill for that too. There will never be enough pills for lying or ignorance which is a symptom your dealership is displaying.
Your evidence for this statement????? I have a 2010 with close to 5k on the clock. It has not burned oil yet. The 2008 and early 2009 models had a higher likelihood of being oil burners according to all I have read. Yet, I doubt all of those were oil burners. So no, it is not a foregone conclusion that a 2011 will burn oil.

The doohickey is better in itself than those on the first generation klrs. The spring may still be somewhat lacking on many bikes.

Let's look worst case. If it burns a quart every 1000 miles, it costs an extra $3.50 per 1000 miles. If you are worried about the doo, the kit with the doo, spring, and the specialty tool needed is $120 or so. The 685 kit that cures oil burning and adds displacement is less than $500. As a matter of fact, I believe doo, thermobob, and 685 can all be obtained for less than $500.

My opinion is that there may be too many following certain break in advice over on another forum. That advice is something along the lines of rag the heck out of it from the get go. I think any advice of that sort is bad. Not allowing rings to seat correctly WILL cause an oil burner.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Threadjacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by efigalaxie View Post
Your evidence for this statement????? I have a 2010 with close to 5k on the clock. It has not burned oil yet. The 2008 and early 2009 models had a higher likelihood of being oil burners according to all I have read. Yet, I doubt all of those were oil burners. So no, it is not a foregone conclusion that a 2011 will burn oil.

The doohickey is better in itself than those on the first generation klrs. The spring may still be somewhat lacking on many bikes.

Let's look worst case. If it burns a quart every 1000 miles, it costs an extra $3.50 per 1000 miles. If you are worried about the doo, the kit with the doo, spring, and the specialty tool needed is $120 or so. The 685 kit that cures oil burning and adds displacement is less than $500. As a matter of fact, I believe doo, thermobob, and 685 can all be obtained for less than $500.

My opinion is that there may be too many following certain break in advice over on another forum. That advice is something along the lines of rag the heck out of it from the get go. I think any advice of that sort is bad. Not allowing rings to seat correctly WILL cause an oil burner.
My 08 didn't really start burning oil til 10K miles. Not saying yours will. Just saying.

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 AM
Flight Officer

My '09 didn't burn any until 11,100 miles. Now about 1 quart per 1000 for the last 2000. I don't sweat it.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Colonel

Quote:

Kawasaki hasn't done anything to remedy the oil burning. They went to a different part number for the rings in 09 but that didn't solve the problem. Doesn't matter how the bike was broken in spend some time on the oil burning threads.

Plenty of oil burners have been torn down for 685 kits. Doesn't seem like there's a general consenus of what the root cause is.

Here's hoping that you bike doesn't burn oil. If you want to really find out go out and ride it >5k rpm for an hour or 2, top off your oil first though!

Worst case scenario is that your out on a trip and run low on oil...
Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Commander

I run 340 miles every Saturday and Sunday on my work commute. It is 85 miles each way. Much of it is 60-65 mph. Generally I run 45 mph - 70 mph. I am hoping to avoid the issue. So far, so good. If the 685 kit cures most oil burners, then it is a piston or ring issue. My bet is that the rings are losing their elasticity.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Colonel

Quote:
I run 340 miles every Saturday and Sunday on my work commute. It is 85 miles each way. Much of it is 60-65 mph. Generally I run 45 mph - 70 mph. I am hoping to avoid the issue. So far, so good. If the 685 kit cures most oil burners, then it is a piston or ring issue. My bet is that the rings are losing their elasticity.

Yea you would think that good rings and a fresh hone would cure it but apparently not, people have tried. Some have measured out of round cylinders so a hone is not going to fix that. That's led to all sorts of theories as to what's causing that, some more off the wall than others!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Commander

It really would be interesting to get empirical data on a couple thousand cases. What would you guess the percentage of oil burners to be? They are not likely all. Would you say 20% for '08 and '09s? Have you heard many cases of 10 and 11s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement