How To Break In New Leather Motorcycle Jacket? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > General Forum > KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion

KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Banned

Unhappy How To Break In New Leather Motorcycle Jacket?

Hi Everyone,

I am a huge fan of British Leathers and have been using their jackets since the 1980s. So when I was planning my coast to coast ride next month I turned to British Leathers for a cool jacket for the event. Since I am riding a very old motorcycle I wanted a jacket that looked like the style of the bike. They recommended the bike Jacket in horsehide and brown finish. I got it and they really built one beautiful and strong jacket. The only problem is that horsehide, while strong as any other leather, is stiff and hard when new.

Thanks a lot
Sara Chang

Last edited by Tom Schmitz; 08-24-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Commercial URLs in sig lines are not permitted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Threadjacker

Wear it a lot. And sweat. There are other ways, but that is the cheapest and easiest (and most effective) I have found. I realize you are dealing with a time crunch, but that should be enough time. Wear it every day.

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Chang View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am a huge fan of British Leathers and have been using their jackets since the 1980s. So when I was planning my coast to coast ride next month I turned to British Leathers for a cool jacket for the event. Since I am riding a very old motorcycle I wanted a jacket that looked like the style of the bike. They recommended the bike Jacket in horsehide and brown finish. I got it and they really built one beautiful and strong jacket. The only problem is that horsehide, while strong as any other leather, is stiff and hard when new.

Thanks a lot
Sara Chang

I've used Lexol Leather Conditioner on old leather and it really brings back the condition and suppleness. Should help your jacket I think. I've found it at western tack type stores.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

Images, please; jacket and bike as a minimum.

"Terror Of Highway 101" model jacket?

Last edited by LoneRider; 08-24-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Lieutenant

How about throwing it in the dryer with a pair of tennis shoes for a couple hours....air only no heat....That's what I did with my new 'Stitch, worked good.

Sleddog
Old 08-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
How about throwing it in the dryer with a pair of tennis shoes for a couple hours....air only no heat....That's what I did with my new 'Stitch, worked good.

Sleddog
Was the 'Stitch made of horsehide also, like Sara Chang's jacket, Sleddog?

Technique might work, whether on leather or textile jackets.

Horsehide, at least in shoe leather (Cordovan), has unique characteristics--fine grain structure, making it neo-waterproof, especially good in the snow, in my experience. Oughta be good for an all-weather motorcycle jacket!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRider View Post
Was the 'Stitch made of horsehide also, like Sara Chang's jacket, Sleddog?

Technique might work, whether on leather or textile jackets.

Horsehide, at least in shoe leather (Cordovan), has unique characteristics--fine grain structure, making it neo-waterproof, especially good in the snow, in my experience. Oughta be good for an all-weather motorcycle jacket!
OH NO!...'Stitch is Textile, not leather. Putting them in the dryer with a pair of tennis shoes lets them get lots of movement over a short period of time....hence, breaking them in. Used to put leather tack in the dryer for the same purpose. I always said I'd pay more for used tack that was already broke in.

S
Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Commander

Sara… this is going to sound crazy.. but this is the best trick ever…
Put the jacket in the sink with REALY HOT water….. Let the leather get nice and soft. As soon as the jacket cools to the point you can stand…. Meaning still hot but you can put the coat on. …. Throw it on an head out for a ride….As the coat cools it will form to your body ….. You will LOVE it after… sucks at first but then years of comfort.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Threadjacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Jake View Post
Sara… this is going to sound crazy.. but this is the best trick ever…
Put the jacket in the sink with REALY HOT water….. Let the leather get nice and soft. As soon as the jacket cools to the point you can stand…. Meaning still hot but you can put the coat on. …. Throw it on an head out for a ride….As the coat cools it will form to your body ….. You will LOVE it after… sucks at first but then years of comfort.
I thought about that. Weird type of leather, though. I've done that with boots. I think it's a good call.

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement