Nice Looking Homemade Pannier System?????? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > Regional Forums > Pacific Northwest Riders

Pacific Northwest Riders Covering - Idaho - Oregon - Washington

Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Flight Cadet

Default Nice Looking Homemade Pannier System??????

I was doing my monthly hoping and wishing and drooling over panniers when I cam across a craigslist advertisement . . .

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/2627181645.html

475 gets you side racks and boxes? Anyone have any experience with these? I've fired off an email, waiting to hear back.

PEACE!!
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Colonel

I haven't any first hand experience with this vendor. There are some of these boxes and racks in my area, and for all intended purposes, they are second to none. The fit and finish is of a professional quality. Every person I know first hand had no trouble receiving what they ordered in a timely manner. There were some problems reported from some disgruntled riders last spring on another forum. The guy was dog piled pretty bad and fell off the map. I still don't know first hand of anyone who didn't get what they paid for.

He produces a high quality product at a bargain price. I would think your risk minimal, as you live close enough to follow up if things don't jive. Keep us filled in on your experience. I have a bike that needs outfitted, and will jump on this if things have stabilized for him.
[IMG]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/vatrader01/KLR%20mechanical/04e28c5e.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT="Century Gothic"][I]Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith[/I] [/FONT]
Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Sergeant First Class

I hadn't noted your location in respect to the vendor of of these boxes until vatrader mentioned it. I would ask him if you could come look at the stuff in person if, of course, you're interested in doing that.

If he'll let you, you should be able to tell in very short order if you think the stuff is of good quality.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Flight Cadet

Thanks for the info. I will certainly ask about taking a look at them before purchasing.

If I get the purchase past the CEO, I'll certainly be posting pics, opinions, and whatnot.

PEACE!!
Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 AM
Flight Officer

I saw the same ad on CL. Please let me know how you get on with these if you get them. If you are heading his way to look then let me know, I might tag along.
Cheers Kevin
Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Flight Cadet

Default Got The Boxes in Question

Gate, sorry I didn't give you a heads up. It was a whirlwind trip.

So I got a hold of Eric. He was fine with me coming to his shop to get the boxes. Gave him money, he gave me the boxes. I was visiting Seattle anyway so a trip to Mt. Vernon (about an hour one way) wasn't a hassle.

It took me about 45 minutes to measure, drill, and install. There are footman loops on the lids, and the boxes are lockable if you don't mind throwing four padlocks on. Gaskets on the lids, which could be beefier. Everything is powder coated.

The mounting rack is sturdy enough that I could drag the tail of my bike around with it.

There seemed to be a handful of people who got screwed trying to mail order these. That's why I went to the shop. Eric builds these in his one car garage all by himself. It looked like he had three or four kits on hand. He makes top boxes too.

No real testing yet. Rode to school in the rain, no problems.

I think I've attached some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bag1.jpg (151.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg bag2.jpg (149.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg bag3.jpg (151.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg lidgasket.jpg (174.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 11-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Commander

They look just like H.T. Tetons.?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Flight Cadet

Just wanted to share this, the same guy that makes these panniers has screwed people over on ADVrider.com. I'm certain it's him, and maybe he's turned himself around now. Use your own judgement.

I can't post the URL (lame!) so just go to ADVrider.com and look for the thread titled "EP!C Panniers (now Gosolobox / SOLOBOX scam alert)"
Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Flight Officer

Nice looking system.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Flight Officer

Given the both positive and negative feedback I went instead with some Givi stuff. It may be alot more expensive and have similar "waranty" on a bike but it is like betting in Vegas.. go with the better odds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alminum, pannier, panniers, rack, side