Popular Mechanics article - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > General Forum > KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion

KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Lieutenant

Default Popular Mechanics article

The October edition of Popular Mechanics reviewed 5 dual sport bikes, including the KLR.

They say the KLR is:
"Like an old mule—aesthetically unimpressive but impossible to kill."

(I wonder what an old mule would think about that?)

Here's a link:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-love#fbIndex1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Captain

Interesting article...sort of.
Not really too much info or review given for the most part, the guys at PM could have done better.

The title "5 Tough Touring Bikes We Love" dosent so much refer to dual sports and probably should have included some of the other obvious choices (ie: BMW GS1000)

The funny thing is, the KLR was the cheapest bike and was half the price of some of the other bikes..

While I really want to like the Super Tenere, I dont think it will do very good in the market.. $13k for a Yamaha is alot of money and I really feel like the just bloated and over complicated what was once a very versatile and simple machine (Tenere). I sat on one at the big bike show last year and it was just too big for getting grungy. I wish they would import the 600cc version as much as I wish Honda would bring back the TransAlp to the US.

Unfortunately, all motorcycle companies seem to think we need huge +750cc adventure touring bikes, and maybe the American market feeds that. However, a good look at the aftermarket conversions for 600/650cc class dirt/enduro bikes to ADV bikes should eb an indicator that there is a whole other segment of society that's not really being catered too.

Maybe I should be a product reviwer.

“Although motorcycle riding is romantic, motorcycle maintenance is purely classic.”
Robert M. Pirsig
Old 10-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorking View Post

Interesting article...sort of...

While I really want to like the Super Tenere, I dont think it will do very good in the market.. $13k for a Yamaha is alot of money and I really feel like the just bloated and over complicated what was once a very versatile and simple machine (Tenere). I sat on one at the big bike show last year and it was just too big for getting grungy. I wish they would import the 600cc version as much as I wish Honda would bring back the TransAlp to the US.
Yamaha is going after the BMW GS market. I think that they will do well with a Japanese engineered "adventure tourer". Not to mention being significantly cheaper. I've seen statistics that most don't go farther off-road than a dirt road anyway.

When the Japanese do update a "dual sport" it becomes more road oriented, e.g. the gen 2 KLR and the 2012 Wee Strom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorking View Post

Unfortunately, all motorcycle companies seem to think we need huge +750cc adventure touring bikes, and maybe the American market feeds that. However, a good look at the aftermarket conversions for 600/650cc class dirt/enduro bikes to ADV bikes should eb an indicator that there is a whole other segment of society that's not really being catered too.

Maybe I should be a product reviwer.
Dual sport sales are a small percentage of motorcycle sales. Motorcycle sales in general have been on a downward trend for several years. Really no reason for the Japanese to invest in a new platform. KTM, Husaberg, etc. make high performance dual sports if that's what you want.

Last edited by Spec; 10-14-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Captain

Hmmmm, Beemer or more expensive, less efficient Yamaha? Easy choice there. Where's the Buell Ulysses? Mule? That's a completely different product line from special K. Oh yeah, mules only have 23 chromosomes in their DNA so they can’t reproduce and they don’t have natural survival instincts so they won’t work themselves to death. KLR’s breed like rabbits and more than one has blown up its heart trying to get the job done. The real question is “Do you like it twice as much as the BMW?” cause you ain’t burning through the 1800 gallons of fuel you could buy with the difference in price anytime soon.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Sergeant First Class

The writeup was definitely vague and lacking, but being from Missouri, I kind of liked the mule reference.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:27 AM
Flight Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHBiker View Post
Hmmmm, Beemer or more expensive, less efficient Yamaha? Easy choice there. Where's the Buell Ulysses? Mule? That's a completely different product line from special K. Oh yeah, mules only have 23 chromosomes in their DNA so they can’t reproduce and they don’t have natural survival instincts so they won’t work themselves to death. KLR’s breed like rabbits and more than one has blown up its heart trying to get the job done. The real question is “Do you like it twice as much as the BMW?” cause you ain’t burning through the 1800 gallons of fuel you could buy with the difference in price anytime soon.
That's funny right there.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Senior Moments

I thought it was a decent review of each bike for such short write-ups of each one.

I'd sure love to own any of the more expensive bikes reviewed, but My 2001 KLR is so fun, and cost pennies to purchase compared to the nicer bikes. It's a lot cheaper to maintain too.

KLR all the fun at half the price.

I'm good.
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...452c7a0b67caa1
Michael G in SF | PPMC #7 | 2000 KLR650 | 2011 FJ Cruiser Army Green | KI6ELZ
------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have the will and not the way, you wont get very far."
Snakeboy66
Old 10-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Flight Cadet

The article was a nice travelogue for Michigan's Upper Penninsula. It is a beautiful place to visit. But not much information on the bikes. Nothing that any of us didn't know already.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Captain

I think it breaks down along the fingernail line. If you're afraid to get dirt under your fingernails and want a dealer to lube your chain, BMW. If you want a project you can enjoy all year around, KLR. If you want something with incredible off-road prowess, XLR or KLX. If you're hell bent on spending money for no obvious reason, Yamaha. If I were going to rack-up a ton of miles on the interstate every year? Well, I ride 5 miles of gravel and 34 miles of interstate every day I ride, I ride down to 36 F (normally, if it's dry). If the bike gets a scratch in the plastic I don't care, if the plastics get broken they're relatively cheap. If the tank gets trashed I'm going desert camo or Air Force ABU digital camo rattle can commando. I bought my KLR with the intent of riding it to death, and that's exactly what I plan to do.
Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement