Most Important Performance Mods - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions

2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Recruit

Default Opinions-Most Important Performance Mods

I just sold my '05 636 Ninja. Now the only street legal bike I currently have is my good 'ol '06 KLR 650. I've loved the bike for what it is and have put over 10k miles on it over the last 2 years (a fair amount owning 3 bikes). But now that I no longer have my Ninja, I would like to try and add a couple horses to my KLR and NEED YOUR HELP!!!
Listed in order of priority, I want to:
1) Add power
2) Not effect the classic bulletproof durability
3) Increase or keep the MPG the same

What should be my top 3 priorities to accomplish the above if I plan on spending
1) $500
2) $750
3) $1000

Please list specific recommendations (i.e. Big Gun vs FMF, slip-on vs full, ect).

I'm looking forward to what everybody has to say and THANK YOU in advance!
P.S. I'm purchasing my first aftermarket item today- 6.6 gallon IMS tank!

Last edited by jameslogan23; 04-04-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Just added "opinions" to the title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslogan23 View Post
I just sold my '05 636 Ninja. Now the only street legal bike I currently have is my good 'ol '06 KLR 650. I've loved the bike for what it is and have put over 10k miles on it over the last 2 years (a fair amount owning 3 bikes). But now that I no longer have my Ninja, I would like to try and add a couple horses to my KLR and NEED YOUR HELP!!!
Listed in order of priority, I want to:
1) Add power
2) Not effect the classic bulletproof durability
3) Increase or keep the MPG the same

What should be my top 3 priorities to accomplish the above if I plan on spending
1) $500
2) $750
3) $1000

Please list specific recommendations (i.e. Big Gun vs FMF, slip-on vs full, ect).

I'm looking forward to what everybody has to say and THANK YOU in advance!
P.S. I'm purchasing my first aftermarket item today- 6.6 gallon IMS tank!

1st welcome to the forum.

OK here's the deal with a KLR. It's a 35 horsepower motor that won't generate much more horsepower without significant work. An aftermarket pipe won't help it out much but it will make it louder so save your money. Spend about $400 for a 685 kit and you'll gain about 3 horsepower. Spend about $1000 and get the 685 kit, get the head worked on, oversize valves and a pipe and you get about 10 horsepower. There's also a 700 cylinder kit that's about $500 more. Gas mileage and reliability have an inverse relationship to engine mods normally!

Patman has a good dyno page on KLR mods here.

Even if you do get 10 more horsepower it's still a slow reving old tech motor. Going faster leads to wanting the brakes to work better leading to wanting the suspension to work better. See where this is going?

Last edited by Spec; 03-30-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Recruit

I saw online a motorcycle shop that added only a Jardine slip on exhaust and they dyno-ed it at 34 hp before and 37 hp post. Also a gain of 3 hp. Does that sound right? If I did get an exhaust, is it worth the whole exhaust or just the slip on?

I probably won't bore it out until I have quite a few more miles. Even though I plan on buying a 3rd bike, I don't ever plan on selling this one. I'm a follower of "when it breaks, upgrade" , so eventually it will probably be pretty well mod'ed out.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslogan23 View Post
I saw online a motorcycle shop that added only a Jardine slip on exhaust and they dyno-ed it at 34 hp before and 37 hp post. Also a gain of 3 hp. Does that sound right?
Short answer, "No."

Someone on ADVRider.com offers a prize (think it's $ 50) to anyone who dynos a modest rear-wheel horsepower increase, with mere carburetion and exhaust tuning; NO ONE HAS EVER COLLECTED.

A problem with trick exhaust horsepower curves, compared to STOCK exhausts, sometimes the aftermarket curves are LOWER, at certain strata . . .

And, what is your service life spectrum for your KLR? At maximum horsepower almost constantly, or a little beyond, approaching redline? Are you in COMPETITON riding? Answers to these questions may help you justify your hop-up, or . . . bring you to . . . I would say, "to your senses," but that's too judgmental; let me say to perhaps more conservative and realistic goals and objectives.

As Spec says, hop-up leads to a CHAIN of inter-related systems; and . . . you know about the weakest link. If you're going to coax more oomph out of the tractor engine, you're going to stress components not designed for the added loads; FORGET ABOUT static durability and reliability, as you attack the World Land Speed Record, or your hometown main street grand prix lowest-recorded-lap-time mark.

The modest modifications suggested, increasing displacement by 5 % (i.e., 685 kit), may bring about 5 % more peak horsepower and torque, without seriously compromising reliability (although, men say, for every stress there's a strain; "no free lunch").

Worth it to you? Only you can decide.

-----------------

Then again, some forum members claim you will obtain additional horsepower, greater fuel economy, decreased oil consumption, enhanced engine compression braking, and improved ring seating by merely installing a check-valve in the crankcase breather hose (the "PCV Valve Mod").

Imagine, all these advantages for just the price of a PCV valve and a couple of hose clamps; MUCH more economical than an aftermarket muffler! Quieter, too!

FULL DISCLOSURE: I personally remain skeptical of the claimed advantages of the PCV valve mod, because . . . I know of no tangible, repeatable, measurements of any of them, beyond the accuracy, precision, and repeatability of the error budget of the measuring devices used (e.g., dynamometer), nor . . . has the MECHANISM whereby a check-valve works all this magic been explained to my understanding (no crankcase vacuum has ever been detected, although I've no idea how a vacuum could work these wonders, even if it existed).

Last edited by LoneRider; 04-04-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Recruit

Umm, how bout just back off a bit and deal with what you got. Save the dough until you figure on something that works for what your ride is and needs to be. Yea I know, easy for me to say. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Threadjacker

Quickest, cheapest way. Lose 15 pounds. Seriously.

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Sergeant First Class

Welcome to the forum. You've had the KLR for 2 years and have logged over 10,000 miles on it. In what situations did you wish you had more horsepower? Highway riding or off-road? If the former, can't really think of anything you can do to significantly improve things besides spending a lot of money with no noticeable gain in performance. The latter? Perhaps a sprocket change?

Just something to think about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aftermarket, exhaust, mods, performance, performance air filters