spoke tightening - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions

2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Colonel

Default spoke tightening

i noticed the other day i have a few spoke that make a vibrating noise when i run my fingers across them. i know this means i need to tighten them. ive looked for other threads and found some info but mostly about trueing the rim. i have a few questions as i have never done this before.

1: do i need to deflate the tire/take out the tube?
2: is there a specific torque # they need to be tightened to?
3: other than the spoke tool what do you guys use to do it? crecent wrench?

anyway any hands on info is welcomed. thanks
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
K-9 Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to flash

I'm sure this is not the right way to do it just my low tech method.

Tires inflated, wheel raised off the ground. I take a 10mm wrench and tap each spoke and listen to the tone. If I find one that that doesn't ring true and makes a dull "thud" sound that indicates it is either loose or broken. I have a spoke wrench and tighten till it rings like the rest.

I thought about a torque wrench for spokes and that may be fine for a new wheel but if all the threads on the spokes and nipples are not clean and free of any corrosion torque is a poor indicator of actual spoke stretch.

Look it up on the interwebs and you will find some good articles on how to do it right.

Unknown
Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
I'm sure this is not the right way to do it just my low tech method.

Tires inflated, wheel raised off the ground. I take a 10mm wrench and tap each spoke and listen to the tone. If I find one that that doesn't ring true and makes a dull "thud" sound that indicates it is either loose or broken. I have a spoke wrench and tighten till it rings like the rest.

I thought about a torque wrench for spokes and that may be fine for a new wheel but if all the threads on the spokes and nipples are not clean and free of any corrosion torque is a poor indicator of actual spoke stretch.

Look it up on the interwebs and you will find some good articles on how to do it right.

i use a 12mm wrench myself

Tension on the spokes is what holds the wheel together, equal tension that is. Don't just randomly tighten one you could pull the rim out of true. Start at the valve stem and use a spoke wrench (a crescent will round off the nipples). If the spoke has a fairly high pitch when tapped get a feel for the torque on the nipple. Now skip 2 spokes and check the 3rd it will be on the opposite side off the 1st one you checked. Procede around the wheel 3 times to check all the spokes. Don't tighten any spoke more than about a 1/2 turn. Keep gong around the wheel until all the spokes are about the same.

A spoke that is very loose can be tightened more but don't bring it to tension by itself keep going around the wheel, make sense?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Colonel

got it. thanks guys. i dont think mine are in too bad of shape just yet but i wanted to catch it before it did
Advertisement