Front Sprocket Removal - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions

2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Flight Officer

Default Front Sprocket Removal

Really, I need a gear puller to get the stock drive sprocket off? Sucker wont budge. The nut came off almost too easy. Put a wood wedge between the tire and swingarm. That worked really good and effortless to remove nut leaning over bike with a 3/4 drive short breaker bar. But now what, drink beer, go to work tomorrow and borrow a puller? Dont want to be trying to pry anything againt the case etc or be banging on the output shaft. Yes, cold Tecate, listen to rest of ball game and relax, I aint goin anywhere am I...?
Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Flight Officer

I got it. Found a little mini crow-bar that tucked right up under the shifter and a piece of soft wood to protect the cse and it just needed a freindly nudge. Now I'm having a friendly brew. Still not going anywhere 'cause I like hangin out in the garage...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Captain

Not going anywhere and working on the KLR. Sounds like more beer is required! Most jobs on my bike are not judged in time but rather how many beers I drink to get er done!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy shit .... What a Ride!
Cheers, Nick
Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Lieutenant

Default my old buddy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR Thumper View Post
Not going anywhere and working on the KLR. Sounds like more beer is required! Most jobs on my bike are not judged in time but rather how many beers I drink to get er done!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy shit .... What a Ride!
Cheers, Nick

hell ya fellas!!
get-r-done..lol..!!!

so question:
whats the longest/most had to drink to finish a project ? ? ? ? ? ?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Captain

Well the doohickey was definitely a 6 pack. Easy job but took 3 hrs. I have to change both tires when I get back from my 1500 km trip to the mountains this weekend and that's another good 6 pack. Mostly cause its frustrating. Might be more like 8 and say screw it half way through. That's one job I hate.

Cheers, Nick
Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Flight Officer

The sprocket was a three beer extravaganza! It took a couple more to clean up and put the tools away though... Was being kinda carefull as I had the bike on wood blocks and didn't want to have a catastrophic failure. First time pulling the rear wheel was an easy adventure. I have a lot of parts showing up later this week or early next, including a center stand from HT. So now it's an Ortega chili pepper jack burger (home made bbq) another cervesa and then involuntary horizontal configuration (my back is killing me).
As a side note: The sprocket gaurd required a little filing on the lower edge to keep the chain from rubbing, but the 16t went right on in there easily and the stock chain is plenty adjustable for this mod. Tomorrow test ride after work and re-adjust chain if it settles in.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR Thumper View Post
Well the doohickey was definitely a 6 pack. Easy job but took 3 hrs. I have to change both tires when I get back from my 1500 km trip to the mountains this weekend and that's another good 6 pack. Mostly cause its frustrating. Might be more like 8 and say screw it half way through. That's one job I hate.

Cheers, Nick
Right there with yah! Mine turned into a twelve pack. Six during and six after to calm down. Didn't test ride until the next day... Not looking forward to when I have to switch mine out next time. It'll most likely be both... Gonna keep it down to a sixer this time though. I know what to expect At least.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Flight Officer

Seriously, the Doohicky mod is a full sixer? I can see it now, me crawling around the gargage looking for the stupid 8mm socket and 4" extension so I can maybe get the covers back on...urg, urp... Eat first, that's the ticket. And why does the motor make that loud clackity clack noise...?
I have found the rednecks haven't I, god bless the internet...
Old 05-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Lieutenant

call it what you want..

but dont think to many true red necks would know how to use internet...besides speeking of family...

here's a little joke for yal city slickers...
you know three things a red neck ,,will never say!!! ??
hell she an't old enuff!!
NO duck tape ,wont fix that!!
i'm drive-n , better not have another !

hope you are at least laughing (a little) = just for fun...lol..!!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Flight Officer

LMAO, and the test ride went well. Like the higher gearing, more what I expected, but that tall first gear in tricky offroad would suck, but I am already used to the tall gears of my road cruiser. I did note that the aftermarket 16t sprocket is hecka louder than the rubber cushioned stock 15t. I figure with only 250 miles on the stock chain it was now or never and a little gear oil and break in should help a little, but it is smooth, just makes more noise, no crunching or weirdness that accompanies (whoa, big word) unmatched chains and sprockets. And I was running a really light chain oil after cleaning with WD40. I am now leaning towards gear oil because I have a bunch of it, and a millitary gun cleaning dropper bottle for the road. The gear mil. spec. gear oil bottle must have been for a machine gun or something, can't think of anything else. Don't remember where
i got it. And I'd hate to mix up the 90wt and the 90proof using my little disposable flasks. Is it always about drinking on this thread???

Last edited by LittleSteve; 05-30-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement