Wind / Noise management - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > General Forum > KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion

KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Captain

Default Wind / Noise management

Looking for idea’s to help with the wind / noise I’m getting from my stock 2011 KLR windshield.

When I ride at any speed over 10 MPH the wind noise is excessive.
It’s like the wind is channeled and focused directly at my neck and face.
If I stand up, the noise is much less.

My helmet is a HJC IS33 . When I ride my NX250 ( no windshield ) the wind noise is much less.

Any experience with after market windshields, or modifications would be appreciated.
Recommendations for windshields that give a quiet ride.

This one has me interested. http://bajaworx.com/klr-650-windshield.html
Does any one have it on their KLR?

2002 Goldwing (Orange)
1990 Honda NX250 (Green/White)
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 (Orange & White )

My KLR Page..http://www.powers31.info/2011_KLR650.htm

Mod's to KLR:
Tool Bag, RAM GPS mount, Power socket, L.E.D. Battery Indicator and Camera bag holder on Handlebar Cross Brace.
Custom Saddlebag frames .
Louder horns, Added Firstgear Onyx tail bag.
Custom Aluminum Skid Plate.
Cut down seat with Custom pad.
Go Pro Camera mount.

Last edited by larry31; 06-12-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
Looking for idea’s to help with the wind / noise I’m getting from my stock 2011 KLR windshield.

When I ride at any speed over 10 MPH the wind noise is excessive.
It’s like the wind is channeled and focused directly at my neck and face.
If I stand up, the noise is much less.

My helmet is a HJC IS33 . When I ride my NX250 ( no windshield ) the wind noise is much less.

Any experience with after market windshields, or modifications would be appreciated.
Recommendations for windshields that give a quiet ride.

No such thing as a quiet ride on a motorcycle. Wind noise will damage your hearing, always wear ear plugs! You may be able to reduce the noise but long term exposure will damage your hearing, not might but will.

You don't want tinnitus (constant ringing in your ears) believe me.

webBikeWorld Earplugs
Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Captain

Spec is bang-on about protecting your hearing. Once the damage is done, it won't heal itself... EVER!

I added a Cee Bailey's sport shield to my 2009 and really like it. The stock shield directed the air right to my neck which in the cooler months is no fun. The sport shield directs it and the bugs just over my helmet at slab speeds. Funny thing is, yesterday I received a new helmet (Arai Signet-Q) and now I have more wind noise than with my old helmet (Arai XD3). Crap! If I slouch down a bit or stand up some the wind noise diminished greatly. Will play with the angle of the shield, removing the ATV seat pad or adding a lanmar lip to the shield. It never ends!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Sergeant First Class

I already have tinnitus from 13 years of flying in helicopters, so this is something I've tried to correct. I use a Madstad Adventure windshield but I'm tall, plus my seat cover boosts me up another inch. I read somewhere that for a windshield like mine to be most effective, you should be looking about an inch and a half over the top of it when you ride. I'm still looking about four inches above mine. I think I might try to make some aluminum extensions to move the windshield farther up on the brackets.

I read an article awhile back that said it isn't always just "loud noise" that can contribute to tinnitus. I always wear ear plugs when I ride, but this article (I really wish I would have saved it) claimed that even wind noise/buffeting against a motorcycle helmet can be transmitted through the helmet, through your skull and on to your ears as a vibration where it damages the little hair things in your ear: result, tinnitus.

Good luck in your efforts to cut down on the wind and buffeting.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:12 AM
Captain

Try these noise canceling headphones if you don't mind spending the cash. I use them for listening to music but occasionally will use the with my music off. They are bluetooth and work really great when I work out too, but I like them the best for the fact that they fit my ears great and remove almost all of the high pitched wind noise while still allowing me to hear emergency vehicles and other cars. They are made by LG and are a couple years old but the best I have found.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1339575030.321996.jpg (36.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Flight Officer

You are correct about the tinnitus and loud niose. It's a combination of how loud and the duration. A moderately loud noise for a long time is just as damaging as a loud noise for a shorter time.

As for the windshield, I just cut the lip off my 07 to get my head in clean air. I played with a taller shield but still had more turbulance than I wanted.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Captain

Thanks every one. I do agree with what you all are saying, and do use my ear plugs.

I would really like to know about your results using different windshields.
How much improvement each brand makes etc.

2002 Goldwing (Orange)

Mod's to KLR:
Tool Bag, RAM GPS mount, Power socket, L.E.D. Battery Indicator and Camera bag holder on Handlebar Cross Brace.
Go Pro Camera mount.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by planalp View Post
I read an article awhile back that said it isn't always just "loud noise" that can contribute to tinnitus. I always wear ear plugs when I ride, but this article (I really wish I would have saved it) claimed that even wind noise/buffeting against a motorcycle helmet can be transmitted through the helmet, through your skull and on to your ears as a vibration where it damages the little hair things in your ear: result, tinnitus.
I've heard this too...

If you ever have a safe place to do so, go for a ride with ear plugs and no helmet. Just from the wind hitting the ear plugs and transmitting the energy through the plugs, it is quite loud.

Or whenever you touch an earplug that is in your ear, you get a big thump, the perceived intensity of which is much greater than if you touched the ear plug out side of your ear.

For this reason, I am considering putting a sound absorbing lining of some sort on the inside of my helmet. Something really fluffy...I fear a harder foam will transmit too much.

I too have tinnitus. My brother thought it would be funny to explode a fire cracker about 4 inches from my right ear. I still hear a pretty good frequency range, but I am an armature audio engineer, so sooner or later that'll be a bad combo because hearing deteriorates with age.

Modifications:
1)Doohickey Planned and purchased 2)Aftermarket Grips 3)Grip Heaters 4)Happy Trails Hard Luggage Rack 5)20 mm ammo cases planned soon 6)Aftermarket Exhaust 7)Thermobob 8)Happy Trails Fork Brace 9)Stainless Steel Oil Filter 10)Magnetic Drain Plug

See profile visitors post for details and planned mods.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
Thanks every one. I do agree with what you all are saying, and do use my ear plugs.

I would really like to know about your results using different windshields.
How much improvement each brand makes etc.
It's really hard to quantify. Based on a scale of 0 to 10 with 0 being the stock windshield and 10 being what I would consider perfect, I'd rate the Madstad Adventure windshield at about a 6 as far as reducing noise and wind blast.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Captain

Default Noise

I just tried my buddy's new G-Max ( GM67S) helmet.
With it, I can hear every noise coming from the bike, not to mention wind etc.

My HJC IS33 is much quieter. Both helmets quiet the wind “roar” a little if I put my arm under the bottom of face shield. The noise must be from wind coming up from under the helmets shield.
That’s where the KLR stock shield channels the wind.

Does any one have a…..

Dakar windshield from Bajaworx?
http://bajaworx.com/klr-650-windshield.html

or

A Cee Bailey’s KLR650 Adjustable Touring windshield?
http://www.ceebaileys.com/kawasaki/klr650_08_ws.html

The Dakar looks better to me, not as big and bulky, but the Cee Bailey’s looks like it would provide more protection.

2002 Goldwing (Orange)

Mod's to KLR:
Go Pro Camera mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement