2008 KLR performance mods - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions

2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Recruit

Default 2008 KLR performance mods

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums. I bought my bike new in 2008 in Colorado and now live in Savannah. I've ridden my bike at sea level and at over 12,000 ft in the mountains without ever jetting it. It has 14,000 miles and has always run great. I have never had any problems with it, but I'd like to hear suggestions on the proper way to "uncork' it and maximize it's potential power. I'm not going to do anything internally until it's time for a rebuild. Is there any slip on pipe that's the "best" for the KLR? Any responses will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Captain

My favorite mod I did to "uncork" some power was the .22cent mod. It definitely open up the bike a ton and literally cost a few cents to do and is very easy. A huge difference in performance. I never bought a new exhaust, I did it the cheap way by cutting out the spark arrestor and putting an end cap on. Didn't really notice any difference in performance but it sounds way better. Good luck! Lots of options for ya

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy shit .... What a Ride!
Cheers, Nick
Old 07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispenn View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums. I bought my bike new in 2008 in Colorado and now live in Savannah. I've ridden my bike at sea level and at over 12,000 ft in the mountains without ever jetting it. It has 14,000 miles and has always run great. I have never had any problems with it, but I'd like to hear suggestions on the proper way to "uncork' it and maximize it's potential power. I'm not going to do anything internally until it's time for a rebuild. Is there any slip on pipe that's the "best" for the KLR? Any responses will be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

It's hard to get any appreciable power gains out of a KLR without spending significant money. Changing the muffler doesn't do much except lighten you wallet.

There's a guy named Patman that has documented dyno runs with various mods. His page is here.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Flight Officer

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/kaw...t-7-89013.html

If you can find one
Old 07-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Flight Officer

Leave it the way it is! You suggest having "14,000 miles and never having a problem with it" & "it runs great."
That's your answer right there. Leave the engine alone

This is my honest opinion. If you want faster or more "pop" buy a Versys or VeeStrom. The KLR is admirably trusty & a bit more "reserved."

Just my .02
Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 AM
Threadjacker

My paupa liked to say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
Leave it the way it is! You suggest having "14,000 miles and never having a problem with it" & "it runs great."
That's your answer right there. Leave the engine alone

This is my honest opinion. If you want faster or more "pop" buy a Versys or VeeStrom. The KLR is admirably trusty & a bit more "reserved."

Just my .02

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 AM
Banned

Going down the path of hopping-up the KLR650, I think you find yourself suddenly in the Realm of Diminishing Returns.

A Versys engine, out-of-the-box (and a number of other 650 cc mills), will eclipse the performance of the most highly-modified KLR650 engine.

Yet, if the modification satisfies you, have at it!

The magnitudes of modification performance increases are seldom quantified, e.g., by dyno run or by competition. Their prowess often resides in the seat-of-the-pants meters of the modifiers, and in the head-space between the ears of the tuners.

Then, there's the PCV valve mod, which . . . oh, never mind!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:31 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRider View Post
Going down the path of hopping-up the KLR650, I think you find yourself suddenly in the Realm of Diminishing Returns.

A Versys engine, out-of-the-box (and a number of other 650 cc mills), will eclipse the performance of the most highly-modified KLR650 engine.
In 2012 they added a 1000cc versys to the lineup so I am keeping my fingers crossed that engine will be in the next gen KLR....but will add $1-$2k to the price tag...
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRider View Post

Yet, if the modification satisfies you, have at it!

The magnitudes of modification performance increases are seldom quantified, e.g., by dyno run or by competition. Their prowess often resides in the seat-of-the-pants meters of the modifiers, and in the head-space between the ears of the tuners.

Then, there's the PCV valve mod, which . . . oh, never mind!
klrsys mod is a long term goal of mine...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797568 (a Link to more photos in the Link)

If I do it it will be with a gen 2 body (*Note: I'm not sure if this is feasible*). I like the sporty look better of the gen2. He also reports a weight, which I calculate to be equal to 402 lbs...less than 411 of a stock.

The fellow says it handles like a KLR with Versys Power.

No KLR vibrations, but the versys buzz.

Also can drive slower without a sprocket modification.

Modifications:
1)Doohickey Planned and purchased 2)Aftermarket Grips 3)Grip Heaters 4)Happy Trails Hard Luggage Rack 5)20 mm ammo cases planned soon 6)Aftermarket Exhaust 7)Thermobob 8)Happy Trails Fork Brace 9)Stainless Steel Oil Filter 10)Magnetic Drain Plug

See profile visitors post for details and planned mods.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steferf View Post
klrsys mod is a long term goal of mine...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797568 (a Link to more photos in the Link)

If I do it it will be with a gen 2 body (*Note: I'm not sure if this is feasible*). I like the sporty look better of the gen2. He also reports a weight, which I calculate to be equal to 402 lbs...less than 411 of a stock.

The fellow says it handles like a KLR with Versys Power.

No KLR vibrations, but the versys buzz.

Also can drive slower without a sprocket modification.

Scary to think of that motor with those brakes! Also the suspension, frame flex, etc.

He did a nice job but it would have been probably cheaper to just go with a KTM 690.

Last edited by Spec; 07-23-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement