Saddle Bags - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > General Forum > KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion

KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Flight Officer

Default Saddle Bags

Hi folks - I recently sold my 09 KLR and bought a 12 that will be delivered next spring. I had the soft Kawasaki Saddle Bags on the 09 and they worked quite well. The only complaint that I have is that they scratched the heck out of the rear side covers. OK here is the question: What can I do to prevent the scratches on the new bike? Blessings Bob B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Flight Cadet

Bob,
Ck out DirtRacks.com they have some nice looking side racks for $99.00 w free shipping. Bolt right on with provided replacement bolts. Phil
Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Lieutenant

No help here...I have given up...no longer worry about scratches.
Life is better now.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Commander

Default Side racks

I made some side racks from EMT pipe. Low cost and they work great.
My 2011 side covers still look good. They also help me horse around the KLR by providing an extra handhold. I even used them to pull my bike up after it got tired and decided to take a snooze. I never tried my hand at bending EMT pipe. Wasted about 4’ but the stuff is cheap.

See here… http://www.powers31.info/2011_KLR650.htm (scroll down on page.)
The top image on page shows the KLR with my saddlebags. I swap them between my NX250 and the KLR. ( The NX also has racks made from EMT )

The NX250

The KLR650

2002 Goldwing (Orange)
1990 Honda NX250 (Green/White)
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 (Orange & White )

My KLR Page..http://www.powers31.info/2011_KLR650.htm

Mod's to KLR:
Tool Bag, RAM GPS mount, Power socket, L.E.D. Battery Indicator and Camera bag holder on Handlebar Cross Brace.
Custom Saddlebag frames .
Louder horns, Added Firstgear Onyx tail bag.
Custom Aluminum Skid Plate.
Cut down seat with Custom pad.
Go Pro Camera mount.

Last edited by larry31; 11-05-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Captain

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmabob View Post
Hi folks - I recently sold my 09 KLR and bought a 12 that will be delivered next spring. I had the soft Kawasaki Saddle Bags on the 09 and they worked quite well. The only complaint that I have is that they scratched the heck out of the rear side covers. OK here is the question: What can I do to prevent the scratches on the new bike? Blessings Bob B.
Too bad you missed the side panel crash guards that I just sold in the classified section. I sold they for $59 and they were made of steel tubing and bolted on using the rear rack mount and the foot peg bracket. Provided protection for tip overs and from scratches caused by luggage, saddle bags. I had them on my 2012 KLR. They sell new for $200 plus.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Captain

I installed side racks that I got off Ebay. They work well with my soft saddlebags, provide some protection for the bike and offer that extra hand-hold.
The brand is PMR, from somebody in California. Go to Ebay and search "KLR side rack". I think they usually sell for $85 (Buy It Now price). But he sometimes lists them for auction. I beleive I got mine for a $69 bid.
My only complaint: it's more difficult to get the side panels off (I have been meaning to get some longer bolts and some spacers).
Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Thumper View Post
I installed side racks that I got off Ebay. They work well with my soft saddlebags, provide some protection for the bike and offer that extra hand-hold.
The brand is PMR, from somebody in California. Go to Ebay and search "KLR side rack". I think they usually sell for $85 (Buy It Now price). But he sometimes lists them for auction. I beleive I got mine for a $69 bid.
My only complaint: it's more difficult to get the side panels off (I have been meaning to get some longer bolts and some spacers).
I use the same ones and think they're a pretty good deal for the money. I've had no complaints regarding construction, finish, fit or durability. They're also handy for lashing down extra loads. I carry my tire repair stuff in a small bag attached to the one on the left side. They do make taking the side panels off a little more work, but can't imagine any other offerings that wouldn't do the same.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Captain

Also use the same ones NH Thumper and planalp use, very happy with them for the price. Here's a link to them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-KLR-650...sories&vxp=mtr

or copy and paste if link don't work.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Captain

the PMR racks from Ebay work well for keeping softbags off of the side covers/exhaust, they also make a handy tie down point and protect the sides in a tip over, they do not work at all for hard panniers, trust me, I know!
Advertisement