daily commuter in the winter - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-West Riders

Mid-West Riders Covering - Indiana - Illinois - Iowa - Kansas - Michigan - Minnesota - Missouri - Nebraska - North Dakota - Ohio - South Dakota - Wisconsin

Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Flight Cadet

Default daily commuter in the winter

anyone in the midwest still riding during the winter, i am here in central MO and use my bike as my main sorce of transportation since the wife gets the car, any ideas to stay warm for those who ride year round
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM
General

I quit riding because they've started putting brine down on bridges around here..

Want to stay warm? Buy the clothes made for winter riding... Think Snowmobile..

I have Klim Klimate jacket that keeps me amazingly warm.. Not cheap, but very warm.. Anyway, just go and look for used snowmobile jackets, gloves, bibs, etc.. They'll keep you warm..
Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Captain

Underarmor thermals are awesome, on the cheaper side. I have ridden in temps below 30F with those on and stayed comfortable in my gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 12-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Captain

any of the Army new silks (like underarmor) with waffle combo under my Teknic jacket and pants is awsome combo below 30* my hands tend tobe first to suffer so i have 3 combos on my bike for each temp my heated grips can no longer keep up with .

recession is when your neighbor looses his job
depression is when you loose your job
recovery is when Obama looses his job
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Threadjacker

Layers. Especially at the core. A sweater vest helps a lot. Looks a little dorky....

Glove liners...(in a pinch shop gloves under your regular gloves help a lot.)

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Sergeant First Class

It seems the keys are: 1. How far you're riding. 2. How fast you're planning on riding.

I think you'll find the hands are the hardest part to keep warm, but I ride down to 35 by switching to a pair of nylon-shell Thinsulate lined hunting gloves. They keep my hands warm, but don't offer much in the way of crash protection.

As long as you don't mind putting on a bunch of layered, wind-resistant clothing, you should do fine with that as long as you're not riding great distances at great speeds.

I've never had a problem with my feet as long as I keep my boots tucked up tight against the engine.

I've considered heated grips but just really don't want to mess with them. One day I probably will invest in some better gloves with a good combination of insulation and padding/protection.

As long as you're not riding hundreds of miles cross-country, I think the above advice of good thermal underclothing, layering and snowmobile-type jacket and pants would enable you to remain relatively comfortable in some pretty low temperatures.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Colonel

I really like my Wally black overalls for about $60. Nice and warm for cheap. You could wear whatever work clothes under them. Put your insulated riding jacket over that and you've got double layers on your core. I recently got some cheap and amazingly warm gloves from Menards for $1.99. For a neck gator I bought a $1 stocking hat from Wally and cut the top off. BAM, instant gator. And I use a $.99 balaclava from rckymtn.
Works good on the cheap.
RMZ250 - Dirty
CRF80 - Kids
CRF70 - Kids
Old 12-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Captain

also adding those cheap heat packs to inside pockets on my jacket is just like having a heated vest only its far cheaper and dont pull any of our 12v power . wally world just sold a heat pack for 18 hrs for less than 75 cents .

i also have the smaller toe and glove packs that burn for 9 hrs in my bags ..shove them in your gloves and socks and it works great ..used themaloton the snow machines in -45 ..

recession is when your neighbor looses his job
depression is when you loose your job
recovery is when Obama looses his job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement