doohickey? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods

1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Recruit

Default doohickey?

New 00" KLR 650 owner , was wondering what the "doohickey" is and how to tell if my bike needs a mod or if its been done?.... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Colonel

Short answer: The "doohickey" is the IDLER SHAFT LEVER, associated with the balancer chain tensioning system on a KLR650.

Somewhat longer answer: Acres of text and perhaps hours of video streaming exist discussing this component (or, "part") on the Internet, much on this website, accessible by using the SEARCH FUNCTION.

A search engine (like Google) entering, "doohickey klr" will be directed to dozens of hits, like this one:

http://www.klr650.marknet.us/doohickey.html

And this one:

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom..._Doohickey.pdf

And, this one:

A SERVICE MANUAL describes the balancer (and, seperately, the cam) chain tensioning system.

Last edited by klr4evr; 12-25-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: It's Christmas - Try to be nice.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Recruit

well, now i understand what the half moon slotted funny little part is that came on my keyring with the bike is indicative of, sorry to clutter your QandA with my ignorance, guess i should have stayed for that 3rd year of my A/S degree in M/C repair back in the 70's..... thanks again!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor4u View Post
well, now i understand what the half moon slotted funny little part is that came on my keyring with the bike is indicative of, sorry to clutter your QandA with my ignorance, guess i should have stayed for that 3rd year of my A/S degree in M/C repair back in the 70's..... thanks again!
The old doohickey is on your keychain? I can't think of a better indication than that that it's been replaced! I'm guessing that the previous owner took good care of the bike, you've got a keeper there!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Recruit

after reading so much about the doohickey failure issue, its hard for me to believe that kawasaki hasnt redesigned the part after all the years of trouble, you would think how a company of that magnitude, could be onboard with consumers seeking aftermarket answers to a chronic mechanical failure issue, anyways nice to know the public has addressed and fixed the problem. In any event, what a great machine! after being involved in production road racing, and off road riding these seem to be the ultimate dual sport machines, my initial first ride on my 00' KLR was on public streets, couldnt believe the handling, then got it home after the used purchase and did the high speed fireroad run , wow! what a cadilliac, with 12'000 original miles , it appears i have lots of riding future with this machine, glad to have found this forum too, thanks guys......
Old 12-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor4u View Post
after reading so much about the doohickey failure issue, its hard for me to believe that kawasaki hasnt redesigned the part after all the years of trouble, you would think how a company of that magnitude, could be onboard with consumers seeking aftermarket answers to a chronic mechanical failure issue, anyways nice to know the public has addressed and fixed the problem.
Actually, mayor4u, Kasasaki DID redesign the doohickey, released with 2008 models.

Since (six model years, 2008-2013, inclusive), I am unaware of a bonafide single doohickey component failure (idler shaft lever, apart from separate spring tension issues). [Contrary direct perception experience, observation, and, one hopes, images, welcomed!]

I post this at considerable risk of precipitating controversy and banning from the forum. I do not doubt that one or more doohickey failures has occurred after the advent of the 2008 part upgrade. As a minimum, I believe it's fair to say the failure rate of the latter-day doohickey, if any, is dramatically less than the older part.

Yet, many passionately, and I think honestly, believe EVERY stock doohickey, regardless of vintage and design, exists as an insidious ticking time bomb caclulated to destroy its host KLR650 engine, sooner or later.

Aftermarket doohickeys doubtless have better fit, finish, and greater adjustment range than any corresponding OEM part. Yet, from published comments, the maintenance history of the '08-and-later stock doohickey appear dramatically different from the previous stock components.

Now, may the flaming begin!

CAVEAT: Aftermarket doohickeys, AFAIK, are well-designed, competently manufactured, and responsibly marketed. Nothing "wrong" with such an "upgrade," IMHO.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have an aftermarket doohickey and torsion spring installed in my Generation I KLR650.

Last edited by Damocles; 12-26-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
I post this at considerable risk of precipitating controversy and banning from the forum.

Now, may the flaming begin!
Actually Damocles that is an informative post and I agree with you 100%.

The 2008+ model doohickey is greatly improved by Kawasaki, almost admitting that there was a problem that they wouldn't admit to earlier

The weak point now appears to be the tension spring. The problem around replacing that is it requires removal of the Doo so my thinking has always been if you've got it apart may as well replace it too but it problem isn't necessary.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Recruit

Hi all. Got a 06 klr with 70000 km on . This whole doo hickey thing got me so paranoid that I just removed the darn spring on the advice of a friend. Now I just remove the casing every 5000 km and set it manually and sleep peacefully. Bit of a sclhep but better than living in dread of that BANG as your engine seizes because of little pieces of spring floating around the engine. Mine was fitted with the eagle micke, but even this loses its tension.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr

Taking the case off every time to adjust the doohickey will cost you a fortune in gaskets. Get a torsion spring and sleep well at night.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement