Mounting rifle scabbard- ideas? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > Bike and Rider Gear

Bike and Rider Gear For discussions on different gear for the ride & rider.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Recruit

Default Mounting rifle scabbard- ideas?

Hello,

Have not posted on this forum before, but have been around motorcycles my whole life.

Has anyone on here ever mounted a hard rifle scabbard to side luggage racks on a KLR650? I like to target shoot fairly often and thought it would save me about $40 in gas each time I don't have to drive my truck to my favorite spot.

I recently purchased a set of Caribou racks that I hope to devise a scabbard mount for using their quick-detach latching system. I have seen ATV rifle scabbards made by Kolpin, but know of no others that might be suitable. I am also not sure if the Kolpin product can be mounted to a flat surface plate, as I do not know of anywhere locally I can look at one. Unfortunately, it cannot mount to the forks on a KLR like I have seen on on some air cooled bikes because of the fairing and radiator.

Any ideas or pictures from you guys that have done any custom mounting to luggage racks?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
OR_KLR _Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Flight Officer

First of all, Welcome to the Forum!! I am sure you will find a wealth of friendly wisdom among our brethren, as have I. I have seen some threads for mounting scabbards, most guys agree that the Kolpin used on atv's is a viable option. As to the details of the mounts, the 'search' feature will be your best bet. I too am working on a mounting system for my ride, but I don't have pannier racks, yet. As for hauling around my 1911, I have a tankvest with the molle system and a Blackhawk Serpa holster with the molle mount. Nice and secure on the side of the tank!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1215.JPG (64.5 KB, 54 views)

If the Lights are a Flashin', STAY OFF the tracks!!! It might be me at the Throttle...
Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Recruit

Maverik that looks like a slick setup. Is that a beverage holder in front of the 1911? Where did you locate the tank vest?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Flight Officer

www.tankvest.com . That is a pouch for holding a 32 oz. nalgene bottle. Comes with a insulated sleeve as well, to keep your beverage cold. I think it works slick!

If the Lights are a Flashin', STAY OFF the tracks!!! It might be me at the Throttle...
Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Sergeant First Class

Good luck with your project, but I've found no sensible way to do it. You never realize how large a hard rifle case is until you start holding it up against a KLR looking for a way to attach it.

Personally, I gave up on anything other than sometimes bungeeing a hard plastic rifle case to the cargo rack. I do use a nylon Molle shotgun scabbard attached to my right side rack (with zip ties) to occasionally carry a "tactical" shotgun or Ruger Mini-30 or 10/22, but they're all short guns, have iron sights and are utilitarian pieces that can take the abuse. I wouldn't want to carry a nice gun that way and certainly not a scoped rifle or one with which I was overly concerned about the finish.

If you come up with anything, I'd be interested in seeing what it is.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 PM

There was a guy on the facebook klr group that mounted his hard scabbard on the right side of the bike standing pretty much vertical... I don't know how he attached it though?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Recruit

I'd be interested in seeing that too. I agree that a hard case mounted on the side would be rather bulky.

Thanks for the link Mav. I was considering a tank bag, but I think that may work even better.

Last edited by toad94; 02-10-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Commander

I've been wondering how to deal with a long-gun on the bike, and honestly, about the only thing I can come up with is a sling and wearing it across my back...

...of course, we can get away with that here in Utah - open carry is legal.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidman1968 View Post
I've been wondering how to deal with a long-gun on the bike, and honestly, about the only thing I can come up with is a sling and wearing it across my back...

...of course, we can get away with that here in Utah - open carry is legal.
Can't say I haven't done that a few times, but it never seemed like a good idea in the event of a crash.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by planalp View Post
Can't say I haven't done that a few times, but it never seemed like a good idea in the event of a crash.
I agree. I just can't really think of another way to easily carry a long-gun...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement