Another suspension thread - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods

1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Flight Cadet

Default Another suspension thread

In the past month I took a trip from Northern Cal to San Diego. Yes? a December trip down I - 5 was a little chilly but I made it? When I got to SD a buddy of mine and I did some desert ridding I am getting much more aggressive in my off road ridding and it seemed like I was bottoming out the suspension quite often, but only when I was off road.

About a year ago I knew that I was going to replace the rear shock with something aftermarket. (I don?t think that I want to rebuild the rear shock or replace the spring with something heaver.) I think I am looking for a completely new rear shock. I am about 250lbs and run with about 20 ? 25 lbs of gear on day trips and upwards of 50+lbs on extended trips.

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction to start my research?

Or what is the favorite aftermarket rear shock for a person of my build?

Thanks in advance!

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Lifetime Member

The progressive is one of the most popular shocks. This is where I found it the cheapest. I was able to get the rear shock and the front springs here cheaper than I could get the rear shock at some of the "well Known" vendors.

[url]www.chasingthe70s2.blogspot.com[/url]
[url]www.freewebs.com/daddyjoe[/url]
Old 12-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Commander

Contact F1Engineering for a completely new shock. A little on the pricey side, but totally custom and it's MilSpec, as it's the one on the Marine's Diesel Bike!
Old 12-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Flight Cadet

Thanks for the heads ups, I will check them out!
Old 12-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Flight Officer

Or if you can take the extra height you might try a set of Eaglemike's raising links.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Flight Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy2224
Or if you can take the extra height you might try a set of Eaglemike's raising links.
I thought about the raising links but with a 30in inseam and a corbin flat seat, raising links would probably push the bike too high. I am already on the balls of my feet when I come to a stop
Old 01-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Flight Officer

Replacing the spring is far less expensive and is usually the first upgrade to do when you want to improve the rear suspension. Why were you wanting to replace the shock instead of the spring? If money is no object, here's a good place to start. http://multisurfacemotorcycling.com/...ts/klrprod.htm

My rear spring upgrade totally changed my KLR world. A huge improvement! Much nicer to ride and more options for different surfaces.

Hope this helps
Old 01-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Flight Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by headn
Replacing the spring is far less expensive and is usually the first upgrade to do when you want to improve the rear suspension. Why were you wanting to replace the shock instead of the spring? If money is no object, here's a good place to start. http://multisurfacemotorcycling.com/...ts/klrprod.htm

My rear spring upgrade totally changed my KLR world. A huge improvement! Much nicer to ride and more options for different surfaces.

Hope this helps
I did day that I was looking to replace the shock, but I was also looking for some direction in researching the different shocks. Out of all the ideas that I have received, here on this board and on other boards, it does look like I am at least going to change the fronts and rear springs.

If I was going to change out the whole rear shock, I would probably go with Eldens rebuild. The amount of reaseach that I think he has put into the shock is worth the price.

headn - thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Flight Officer

If you wanna start with just the spring, I went with MMP's 6.6 straight wound spring and it has made me a new person. Well, it's at least one of the greatest changes I made to the bike. I am, how you say, bodyguard sized, bigger than you, and the spring really was the answer to all my problems. So I am not trying to tell you what to do to your bike, I am just giving a experienced thumbs up for the MMP.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Flight Cadet

As of right now I think that is the way that I am going to go... I think the only issue that I am going to run into is compressing the spring for removal and new spring installation.
How did you go about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement