Radiator Fan Switch - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods

1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Flight Officer

Default Radiator Fan Switch

After setting up my wiring for my cooling system (on the bench) I tested it... fan, relay, battery and fan switch submerged in hot water.... nothing happened.... So I linked up my DMM to the fan switch and tested it.. turns out it is dead.

So.... Looking online the prices for this switch are crazy!

Anyone know of another switch that will fit from a different bike?

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Colonel

I'd check a "dismantler" (i.e., junk yard) for a used (but guaranteed) item.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Flight Officer

I am struggling to find anything within budget... From research I know the thread type is M18 x 1.5 ....

I can only find shorter switches though and am worried that if I were to install one that the tip of the switch would not be in the water stream and not activate when it should... so if i were to install one with a lower activation temp it would kick in before the coolant got too hot right?

Can anyone confirm this and give your thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited by Millhouse; 09-06-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr

There are times when you have to bite the bullet and pay the price - this appears to be one of them. Why take any unnecessary risks with unknowns. Try a wrecker/eBay otherwise the dealer and get the right part.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "
Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Flight Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr4evr View Post
There are times when you have to bite the bullet and pay the price - this appears to be one of them. Why take any unnecessary risks with unknowns. Try a wrecker/eBay otherwise the dealer and get the right part.
I will never bite the bullet and pay those prices! This is an off road project so budget is essential!

I will find a way of fitting another switch if I have to.. Even if that means drilling and tapping the existing hole to fit a larger switch. I would rather find an M18 x 1.5 that has the reach if I can first though.

Its a simple choice of pay 50 for the OEM part or 10 for one thats not OEM
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Captain

Millhouse,
If your that concerned about the price, why not just a simple TOGGLE SWITCH?
Better to OVER cool than, UNDER cool. Your choice!
pdwestman
Old 09-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Flight Officer

As much as budget is concerned i want the bike to run as it should with no interference.

I'm sure if i get a lower temp activated switch that is shorter it will cool ok. Only way to find out is to try
Old 09-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Flight Officer

Update :

After searching round for a switch to fit I could not find anything in my local parts shops... so i went home and thought about what could fail on the switch... It has not been activated for a long long time and i wondered if it could simply be a little seized.... So out came the SMD Rework station with the heat gun set to 180c .... DMM connected after about 5 minutes it showed continuity!!! Tested in water and voila it now works
Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Captain

Well done! You are a true KLRista. Way to fix it frugally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement