"cruise control/throttle lock" for a KLR? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > General Forum > Gadgets & Gizmos

Gadgets & Gizmos Discussion on the latest "toys" to enhance the adventure.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Recruit

Question "cruise control/throttle lock" for a KLR?

Does anyone know if a "cruise control/throttle lock" can be rigged up on a KLR650? I've tried the models listed in the Aerostich catalog - there are 3 different ones - but was told by the 'stich sales person that none of them were listed for the KLR. Somebody must have one! It would be great to relieve the constant need to hang on to the right hand gip for hour after hour on a long trip. So, any ideas?

Tom

Saranac Lake, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Colonel

Vista Cruise is set up for the KLR.

Here is a link:
http://www.klr650.com/CruiseControl.htm
Old 09-11-2008, 01:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr

I have the UNIVERSAL Vista Cruise on one of my KLR's and the standard one on the other. The Universal is very simple to install with no need to remove the grips. The standard unit is a little trickier as it requires you to drill and tap a small hole in the throttle assembly. You also have to remove the grip.
Of the two I like the standard one better as it doesn't take space away from the already small hand grip area but for ease of installation the Universal can't be beat.

http://www.klr650.marknet.us/vistacruise.html

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "
Old 09-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Flight Cadet

Like the others have written the Vista Cruise is the way to go. I have a standard unit. If you want to poor boy it, a small bunge cord wedged between the grip and the thottle assembly will work also.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Flight Cadet

Heres another vote for the Vista Cruise, easy to install, it works and it is inexpensive. Took me about a 1/2 hour to install it. griffy
Old 09-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Recruit

Default VC control

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the "standard" Vista Cruise". Hope it will install w/o problems!

Tom
Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to klr4evr

Bigbird. Are you a Canuck??

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "
Old 09-13-2008, 04:39 AM
Recruit

No, but thanks for the "compliment"! I'm an Adirondacker - live up in the Adirondacks in northern New York. I do have quite a few relatives tho who live "north od the Border" - up in Golden, BC and out in Nova Scotia.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Recruit

So has any one put the UNIVERSAL Vista Cruise on an 08 yet? if so i would really like to see pics of it. i ordered one, tried to install it and it looked liked crap and seem to be too big for the throttle and i had to move the brake asy and starter switch asy inward and it looked like "well use your imigination". Really need to see a pic of it on an 08 as it appears to not fit without having to do lots of modifications.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Flight Cadet

Default Vista cruise installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkinMaster View Post
So has any one put the UNIVERSAL Vista Cruise on an 08 yet? if so i would really like to see pics of it. i ordered one, tried to install it and it looked liked crap and seem to be too big for the throttle and i had to move the brake asy and starter switch asy inward and it looked like "well use your imigination". Really need to see a pic of it on an 08 as it appears to not fit without having to do lots of modifications.
I have an 03 I just installed the unit on and am having trouble finding the sweetspot as well, first I put it between the starter and brake clamps but then I could only get 2 fingers on the front brake lever. I just relocated it all again and now the vista is right up against the throttle with the brake next and the starter furthest away from the grip. This poses 2 problems, one, to push the starter you have to take your hand off of the throttle and two, I now have to cut the connecting bar about 1/2'' shorter and retap the hole if there is enough room to do it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Intotheabis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement