speedometer issue/question - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods

1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods For maintaining, repair or modifications of Generation 1 KLR's. 2007 and earlier.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Recruit

Default speedometer issue/question

I recently purchased a 2001 from a prev owner with an issue that I can't seem to locate on these forums. The speedo needle spins in circles and the actual needle snapped in half at some point. If anyone knows what would cause a speedometer to spin in circles rapidly as the bike accelerates please let me know. I am assuming that I can just replace the speedo cable and hopefully solve the problem? I would rather have all the parts I'm gonna need before I tear the bike apart rendering it unrideable so any advice/info on the issue would be great!

thanks ~ bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 AM
General

There's evil forces inside speedos that mess with their owners..

Something's wrong in the speedo (which you already know) and I don't know anyone who's had one apart. There's several speedo repair places on the internet (my BMW speedo/tach is at one now) or you can buy a used speedo off eBay?

Typically, the KLR speedos are a pretty good unit and while not being very accurate, hold together well. If it were mine, I'd replace it..

Not much listed on eBay right now, but give it a week..
Old 02-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Recruit

Thank you, I lost me ebay bid earlier this week

Hopefully I'll be able to find one sooner rather than later... Wost case scenario I'll just have to ask the cars next to me to roll down their window and shout out the speed!

If anyone else has any ideas about the cause let me know.

Thanks for the resonse!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Commander

Probably magnets rusted or otherwise stuck. Mount a cheap GPS, it'll give you accurate speed -- which the OEM speeedo won't!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Flight Cadet

Default Speedo problems

Go down to a bike shop, Walmarts, ect. and buy you a bike speedometer. I had one on my KLR after my speedo cable broke ,it worked great. Very accurate readings plus had some other features on ot that I never used. Price was under twenty dollars as I recall. Good luck, La mula verde in Katy Tx.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGIRON View Post
Probably magnets rusted or otherwise stuck. Mount a cheap GPS, it'll give you accurate speed -- which the OEM speeedo won't!
I'm with Bigiron on this.. I have GPS on all my bikes for several reasons, one of which is the fact that it's the only thing that give me an accurate speed reading.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Commander

I know nothing about this particular GPS but the price is right. If you're considering a gps, get the 4.3inch or larger. The little bit extra screen size makes a tremendous difference.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...53&dcaid=17653

Last edited by BIGIRON; 02-24-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 AM
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGIRON View Post
I know nothing about this particular GPS but the price is right. If you're considering a gps, get the 4.3inch or larger. The little bit extra screen size makes a tremendous difference.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...53&dcaid=17653
The two problems with GPS built for use inside a car is that vibration is way less than on a motorcycle, and there's seldom a chance for rain or morning dew inside a car.

On the other hand, if you mount it in the map pocket of a tank bag, where it's isolated from vibration, and can remember to take it inside at night, that'd be a good unit..

BUT, here's the rub.. Not all GPS units display your actual speed.. I have a GPS for work use that's a Uniden and it doesn't display speed.. If you click a button it'll tell you if you're speeding by beeping at you, but it won't tell you how fast you're going.. Since I use it only for work in cars/trucks, I don't care, but the speedo's a pretty important feature for use on motorcycles.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM
General

I did a little searching.. Starts out good, but goes downhill from there.. http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...al.html#linksI guess after reading this, I'd pass and get a Garmin Nuvi.. Quality items and fantastic customer service that speaks as close to English as those folks in Kansas can muster..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement