Should your feet touch the ground? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > General Forum > KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion

KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Recruit

Default Should your feet touch the ground?

I was looking at a the brand spankin new KLR 650 2009 model thanks to reading all the reviews from you fellows at this forum!

I jumped on the KLR to get a feel on the riders positioning and my feet can not lay flat. I am not tip toeing that badly but I can safely say I'm not flatfoot firmly on the ground.

I ride a cruiser, and I'm not used to this style of riding with the bike being so tall. I'm just tired and board of the asphalt! It's not f!@#ing easy trying to drive a 600lb harley in the dirt.......I'm a true camper and woodsman at heart so I'm jumping head first in this club!

My main question is how many of you guys are comfortable with your seat height????

The guy in the shop told me you want the seat to be tall and not sit flat foot....yet they will say anything to sell a bike!

I will certainly say that this "new" KLR certainly needs some guard protection for its little plastic front fairing to even make it rugged ready! I can bet in 2 more years this wont even be an off road bike. I would buy the older model but I actually like the fairings, because I want to have easy traveling on the interstate to get to the mountains....but thats for another discussion.....

Last edited by Drinking Beer; 04-02-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why

Drinking Beer -

I have a 32" inseam and, with the bike set for proper sag, I am on my toes.

It's a tall bike. Tippy toes are fine.

Tom
Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Colonel

Tippy toes are the norm, altho you can lower the bike. An inch makes a tremendous difference, but you will lose some ground clearance and suspension movement. Once you get over the feeling that your riding on top of a SUV you get very comfortable with the height. It comes in quite handy in traffic, as you can see them and they can see you much better sitting up high and tall.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 PM
K-9 Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to flash

Drinking beer too.

Go for it. It'll be the most fun you ever had on two wheels !!!

Unknown
Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Recruit

Thats good to hear guys thanks for the info! I'm certain I can easily adapt to this new tall style of riding. I would like to be able to see over cars, instead of trying to literally look under them, with the cruiser. Also, being able to abandon asphalt and take to the open country is making me happy just thinking about it........

I know most of you fellows have the pre-08 models, but how does this bike handle the highway speeds 65-75? I first learned to ride on a 650 suzuki savage before I graduated to a larger 1400 v-twin cruiser. That old savage is a very similar in engine designed to the KLR 650. The savage was a big 650 thumping single piston just like this KLR is. That big vertical engine would really start to vibrate and make my hands and ass numb at highway speed.

How does the KLR engine handle higher RPM's and speeds on the interstate 65-75mph? I saw that this KLR had a tach that didn't red line until 8K! I assume it has a smooth power-band with good high and low end torque?

I know that vibration is tolerable to some degree, but how do you guys feel after full tank drive on the highway at 65-75mph? I know all bikes will make you ass hurt on a long trip but, is the engine going to buzz the crap out my ass?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Threadjacker

Hey man,

Tippy toes, all good. Like the fellas said. I'm 6'2" and I can't flatfoot.

Reason I'm chiming in is because I can address the other aspect of your query. I have an 08 and use it pretty much only on-road. I have done some pretty decent rides and 75 is no problem. The fairing helps a lot. Things start getting a little twitchy past 80. The seat on my bike is nice...I put an ATV seat cover on it to firm it up and partially to add height, but it was fine before too. (I could flat foot it stock)

Being high up is awesome. My other bike is a 73 honda. Real easy to flat foot, but that thing disappears in heavy traffic.

If you can afford it and want a bike that is decent for the highway and OK offroad, get the new one. The older ones are worse on the slab.

D

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.

Last edited by Lockjaw; 04-02-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Flight Officer

I put a set of lowering links on to lower my bike 2" i'm about 5'10" and I can now touch mostly flat footed, links are not the answer the ass end of the bike is very mushy and ground clearance suffers, My solution is going to return the bike to stock links and by the sargeant seat low seat that lowers seat height by 2" and has better foam for more comfort.. tippy toes in the mud with the klr as heavy as it is doesn't work for me....

1995 H-D Sportster 1200
2002 Kawasaki KLR 650
Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Colonel

Unless you are still riding with your feet skimming the ground why would you need to flat foot the bike. LOL I'm actually jellous because I have a 1" lift and still sit flat footed and slightly bent knees. Actually the KTM 990 super enduro is the only bike I've sat on that this wasn't the case.

ADVFilmer videos of trails, reviews and other dual sport related stuff. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
Old 04-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Captain

Thumbs up

Go for it you will adjust and love it im 6/4 on my tip toes and as for speeds most of the time 70-75 is my norm it does get a bit twitchy over 80 i think a fork brace would help that vibration is not to bad i put on a 16 tooth sproket on drops rmps a bit for hwy.
Cee Baily tinted wind shield, studibaker skid plate, one inch length added to shifter, highway pegs, steel pegs,Jardine pipe, trunk, head light rock gard, , 12 volt power outlet, 16 tooth front sprocket, Progressive front springs, studibaker master cylender guard, PVC mod,Doo Hickey, one wheel offroad trailer, night vision ammo cans for side bags my oun tank gards.

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...-59-44_731.jpg
Old 04-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Lieutenant

Thumbs up Buy it!

Iím 5 feet 11 inches. Iím on the balls of my feet when stopped. It was different for me also but I quickly got used to it. Now almost two years and over 5000 miles I donít even notice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement