Oil use why??, is there a fix? - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > KLR 650 > 2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions

2008+ KLR650 Wrenching & Mod Questions For repair, maintaining or modifying discussions related to the newly updated 2008 and beyond, Generation 2 KLR650 Motorcycle.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Flight Officer

Default Oil use why??, is there a fix?

I dumped the oil when I did my do-hickey last night. (My '09)
100 miles and it was low a quart!!??
I'd chalking it up to the kid that dragged the bike off the show room floor, looked in the window and saw yellow, (as I did when I got it home).
So now let's look at this.....................
I just dropped a chunk of change on a bike, (not my main ride, but 1 of them).
What exactly is causing the oil to go bye bye?
(Weird, cuz my '07 and 90 KLR didn't? (I used 10-40 Silkolene oil changed it at 2000 miles, never noticed it was low in the window)???
Piston-onie rings?
Valve seals? or lack of, ((that's what it is on my Royal Enfield, no valve seals, but that motor design is 80 years old. it uses oil, but it's supposed to!)
I just may keep this bike, (rare for me, I go through bikes like candy at a kids birthday party- short bike attention span I guess!
What's the fix from out there in KLR land?
My dealer is useless, so it's up to me, (I'd rather bite the piston and replace the parts with tops shelf stuff, than be worring about if I got oil in the crank, using oil like its, well oil.
Tanks
Joe
Bikes are like women, you gotta train them and fix the broken parts, if you want some fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Threadjacker

You can put in a 685 kit from Schnitz Racing. That's pricey. I just bite the bullet and carry oil with me. Mine doesn't burn as much as some though. I would guess they didn't fill it enough since the dealer did the last change. It may not be as bad as you think.

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Flight Officer

Thanks,
I don't wanna get involved with BIG bore kits, opening the intake/exhaust ports, as well as a LOUD exhaust system, bigger carb,ala spend MAJOR $$, just to keep the oil in the crank.
Me thinks it's gotta be a ring problem with all these bikes huffing oil, Cast iron rings?? so they don't seal well.
If my steed starts losing oil???, you bet your dupa, (A north eastern Pa. saying), it'll be back for a re-ring. I'll MAKE sure the oil loss to mileage is WAY over the limit
Like I said, my last 2 KLRs didn't use any oil, (that I was aware of, there was always oil in the window, and oil when I dumped it).
I sure my quart was left out by the young lad servicing my steed. He looked like he had NO idea what he was doing, as well as his tool box looked like a empty red box! (You gotta start somewhere I guess, good thing for him I easy going and re did all the work he did)
I'll keep the info in case I wanna make my KLR into a Kaw-a-stien!
Joe
Best thing about a bike, it doesn't complain when you park it cuz your riding another bike!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:15 AM
General

My 02 has always used a little oil, but nothing like that..

Is the bike under warranty?? Take it to the dealer and start documenting the amount of oil it's using.. If that doesn't get em' going, get a little loud in the showroom and tell the dealer to contact Kawasaki, or you'll get louder until this manufacturing defect is fixed!

This is a manufacturing defect.. There's no reason a motorcycle made these days burns oil like this..

I think I should have went to bed earlier.. I'm already grumpy..
Old 08-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Flight Officer

I don't know IF I have a problem, at this point.
But, reading a few others here, oil compsumption is an issue.
I was just wondering IF anyone has found out WHY and what did they do it fix it.
The dealer will fix it IF I have a problem, but if say, the OEM rings are not sealing now, they order new new OEM rings, what makes you think they are any better????, (ala the Do-hickey spring.I was told they'll rip it apart and install yet another new OEM spring. Hell that's not a cure, I had to spend the $$ to fix it CORECT).
I MIGHT, no , I WILL purchase better rings if that's what it is, and have them install under warranty, but a after market piston?? I dunno if they can push it that far under warranty.
Joe
I ride, therefore I am
Old 08-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe28 View Post
I don't know IF I have a problem, at this point.
But, reading a few others here, oil compsumption is an issue.
I was just wondering IF anyone has found out WHY and what did they do it fix it.
The dealer will fix it IF I have a problem, but if say, the OEM rings are not sealing now, they order new new OEM rings, what makes you think they are any better????, (ala the Do-hickey spring.I was told they'll rip it apart and install yet another new OEM spring. Hell that's not a cure, I had to spend the $$ to fix it CORECT).
I MIGHT, no , I WILL purchase better rings if that's what it is, and have them install under warranty, but a after market piston?? I dunno if they can push it that far under warranty.
Joe
I ride, therefore I am

There's several theories as to why the new generation burns oil. The new models changed the rings and increased the cooling system capacity. The rings have less tension then some think they should have but the real culprit appears to be the non-bypass cooling system.

The thinking is that with increased capacity in the radiator and just shutting the flow on and off with the thermostat cooler water is hitting the base of the cylinder causing thermal shock. The liner is thin cast iron and appears to be warping and putting the cylinder out of round enough for the rings to loose the seal at higer RPM (>5K). Some cylinders have been measured and have confirmed the out of round condition.

Now is the non-bypass in the cooling system actually causing the problem or are they other issues, i.e. manufacturing defects, liner install problems, etc. ? Hard to say without a lot of oil burners to inspect.

There is a fix for the cooling system the ThermoBob. It adds the bypass in that all modern cooling systems have. I would certainly install it on a new bike.
Watt_man designed it and has great info on his site with charts showing before and after motor temps.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why

Joe-

I'm tracking the oil use on mine (which reminds me I should check it today and post up).

On mine it is pretty variable - it will slurp oil like there's no tomorrow if I ride it hard. Right now it looks like it's not using much, as I've been kind to it the past few hundred.
Spec pretty well covered the bases on the causes. It's definitely the new rings on the Gen2 bikes and the liner flexing. New stock rings won't fix it, at least not for long. Settling the cooling system may help. I have the T-Bob (as does Lockjaw) and, like I say, mine only consumes silly amounts of oil when I flog it hard.

The 685 kit seems the best option to 'fix' it, but oil's cheap...

As Spec has said in the past and Paper above, ain't no modern bike should burn this much oil. It's ridiculous. My thoughts are that it ought to use no more oil than is between the min adn max in the sight glass in about 2000 miles - at the outside. If it did that, I could go without adding oil between oil changes.

Long term, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Tom

'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used. -Napoleon Bonaparte

Last edited by Tom Schmitz; 08-27-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: was on the stupid Blackberry and hadda pee when I posted the first time. Added content and fixed spelling.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Threadjacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz View Post
Joe-

Long term, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Tom
Once I get money again, we gonna 685 them mofos! Or talk about it while we drink beer and add oil!

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Pretty in Pink, dunno why

Ooooo!, algebra...

If beer is $12 for a 24 pack and oil is 4.25 a quart, and LJ and Tom can each drink four beers an hour, and it they jabber so much that it takes an hour and a half to change the oil in each bike, and they change their oil every 2000 miles and they ride an average of 8000 miles a year, how many years will $1200 last?

(Tom asked calculatingly)

Tom

'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used. -Napoleon Bonaparte
Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Same as Brother Tom,

Mine doesn't use a measurable amount of oil for hundreds of miles at a time,
but a half hour of beating the bike up gets me to AutoZone with a quickness.

On the interstate portion ofmy New York trip last month the oil
was going somewhere and fast. I was doing around 80 most of the time
and with the wind resistance at speed, the engine load was high.
Been fine since getting back. Go figger.

CheapMark

Last edited by CheapBassTurd; 08-27-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: I wasn't done typing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement