Ordering parts from Dual-Star - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Go Back   Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum > General Forum > KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion

KLR & Other Motorcycle Related Discussion Grab a seat and discuss whatever you like about the KLR or other related topics. Within reason.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Recruit

Question Ordering parts from Dual-Star

Whats up with Dual-Star Outfitters, they have a great selection of parts for the KLR650, but I've been trying to talk to someone from Dual-Star for over a month to order parts and I've had no luck getting them to answer my repeated phone calls, I've called all their numbers and even left messages with no return calls, today I tryed again and now their phones are no longer working, are they out of business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Colonel

Dual Star is a truly baffling situation. Nobody on line is getting one flat dime of mine unless I have the ability to communicate with them. If you think it is hard inquiring about placing an order, what are you going to do if there is a problem with the order you received? Or worse, didn't receive? The response from Dual Star, when you can reach them, has always been "fax the order". When I asked how I confirm that a fax order was received he said I would have to trust that it was. And that sometimes it took a while to get to the fax orders. I have not encountered anyone the past few years that has stated they had trouble with products they received from Dual Star. Mainly I think, because I haven't run across anyone who received anything from Dual Star.

I am totally against trashing a business without cause. Nothing makes me see red quicker than some of the bush league marketing tactics seen in the KLR 650 world. Dual Star, however, has been consistent in their lack of customer service. In this day and economy, there are enough businesses willing to supply service in exchange for my money. I prefer to hunt these places out.
[IMG]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/vatrader01/KLR%20mechanical/04e28c5e.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT="Century Gothic"][I]Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith[/I] [/FONT]
Old 09-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfd1921 View Post
Whats up with Dual-Star Outfitters, they have a great selection of parts for the KLR650, but I've been trying to talk to someone from Dual-Star for over a month to order parts and I've had no luck getting them to answer my repeated phone calls, I've called all their numbers and even left messages with no return calls, today I tryed again and now their phones are no longer working, are they out of business.
Sorry about my rant. Was there anything in particular you are looking for? I'm sure a number of folks here have found reliable suppliers, and most KLR owners will sort through free stuff, looking for something cheaper. They'll know where the bargains are.

Welcome to the forum.
[IMG]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww187/vatrader01/KLR%20mechanical/04e28c5e.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT="Century Gothic"][I]Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith[/I] [/FONT]
Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to DantesDame Send a message via Yahoo to DantesDame

I used to live 20 minutes from DS and know the owners pretty well. They're good people, but I have yet to understand why they don't do something about their website (*gah!*) or their customer service (*ack!*). They have good products - I would never hesitate to order something from them - provided I could actually get through.

My last interaction with them was for ordering two sets of heated grips (they're the best I've found in the market), but the units were on back order. After waiting around for a bit and not being able to get a hold of them to confirm WHEN they might ship, I decided to buy another brand from somewhere else (I, too, got the message about the phones being disconnected). Conveniently, this phone call went through immediately and when I said that I'd like to cancel my order there was no hesitation or concern from the guy at the other end of the phone. No questions asking me why, or what he could do to keep me from canceling. Just "ok". The card hadn't been charged, so there was no issue with money.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that they're good, honest people but have a bad sense of business

Check out my website www.dantesdame.com <--- rides! rides! rides!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Captain

Unhappy

I have ordered several items from Dual Star by talking to a real person.
So far I have received one of the items that I ordered and was charged correctly. The other two items that I ordered have been back ordered since April 2010, so I guess that I will never receive them. I was not charged for the items that I did not receive or that are back ordered. They will only bill your creditcard when they ship your order.
In the mean time I have ordered the same items from another source and received them.
Order from a source that has the item you want in stock at a price that you like. There usually are several sites offering most products.
Let Dual Star worry about their business or lack of business.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 AM
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
I agree, but the problem is that the new rider, or new to KLR (or dual sporting) doesn't know what he/she is in for.. The website has a ton of cool stuff on it and the new Joe isn't aware of the terrible customer service.

I've only ordered one thing from Dual Star, and that was 6 years ago.. I ordered a Travelcade Gel seat and it shipped to me within days. Zero problems and the seat was fantastic!! The seat got traded off to another guy for the Russell seat I have now, but with the zero issues when ordering, I wouldn't know not to do it again..

I think we need an Angie's list of bad Kawi accessory dealers..
Old 09-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Threadjacker

I think a list is a good idea, Paper. I dropped my helmet onto the cement (dammit!) when we moved a few days ago, so I just got to order a new one. NewEnough of course. They illustrate your point well. Great folks, cheap prices, etc. Not so good for parts, but for luggage, clothes, gear, etc they are tough to beat. (not shilling, they're just a good example)

But yeah, that would help noobs save some money and hassle.

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:24 PM
General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
I just got to order a new one. NewEnough of course.
You shoulda said something.. I have a 10% coupon to be used at NE..
Old 09-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Threadjacker

Now you tell me.

Actually, I thought about posting something, but they deserve the money. I got a screaming deal. Again.

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
I have ordered several items from Dual Star by talking to a real person.
So far I have received one of the items that I ordered and was charged correctly. The other two items that I ordered have been back ordered since April 2010, so I guess that I will never receive them. I was not charged for the items that I did not receive or that are back ordered. They will only bill your creditcard when they ship your order.
In the mean time I have ordered the same items from another source and received them.
Order from a source that has the item you want in stock at a price that you like. There usually are several sites offering most products.
I think you'll notice most folks here allow you to express your opinion, to speak your mind. I trust you can develop the same courtesy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement