Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Just picked up a KLR

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Bucket69 
#1 ·
I picked up a 2007 KLR650 tonight. I only put about 20 miles on it but I noticed a "rattle" or "clunk" when hitting the bumps on the dirt roads. Everything up front seems solid, with the exception of the dash, but it doesn't sound like plastic making the noise. I'll have to put it up on the stand and see if I can figure it out. Also, the mirrors are about worthless with the amount of vibration. So far the seat seems like a winner. The power is a bit of a let down compared to my XR650R, but I didn't really expect it to be a big power house...all in all, I think it is a bike I'll keep for some time.

I'll post a pic as soon as I hit 15 posts.

#2 ·
one cheap mod for a little more throttle response....... .22 cent mod. look into it. opens the KLR right up!!! literally costs about .22 cents to do.Welcome aboard! as for the clunk or rattle...... welcome aboard!!! KLRs are great. LOL Could be anything really. just start checking everything over.

#6 ·
gears !

play around with the gears..all depends what you like low/woods or high/street gear...

yes the xr have more torque,better in the woods..lighter ,,small gas tank,skinny seat.. est max with full tank =100miles
but the klr will leave the xr once on paved roads at normal posted highway speed,,with out sounding like it's going to blowup any min!!! an can haul two people an gear.. unlike a xr,,trust me just give the klr min to show you what it will/can do/can go!!!! est avg full tank on klr= 250+miles so when the xr need gas the klr will still running down the road...

if i had both still(sold my xr600r) the xr would be only for dirt...
instead i got two fronts and rears(knobbie set and a street set),,that i switch out ,,rear sprocket(44tooth woods an 42tooth street) changes too,,,makes big differance,,, an ya one bike does as two ....

fyi ,,when i ride with xr/dr/ktm when lost an back in woods and over 100miles ...ends up i am filling up the others out of my tank... cause there's is small an out of gas!!!
the klr will grow on ya,, hope you enjoy

#7 ·
My XRR isn't tagged...dirt only. So, more than likely the KLR will be a pavement princess...with the occasional dirt road. The KLR is a lot of things that the XRR isn't. I think it's going to fit my needs perfectly.

I do need to find an owners manual though. The guy I bought it off of couldn't find it. Made me a little uneasy when he couldn't find it...must not have used it much. He was the original owner and said that it never had anything done to it other than oil changes (has 10k miles on the clock). I'm going to take some time to go over it before I put too many miles on it.

#8 ·
hey my just want to get a CLYMER manual... think it should have more info about --doing maintence...i don't know= cause i don't have oem manual,,,,,maybe one these others guys knows better???

but as for as "pavement priness"..lol..
ah i get mine plenty dirty..i really like the moto action 50/50street dirt....also like thro on full knobbies an see just where i can go!!!!!

enjoy ya ride-n!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.