Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Mounting options for a pelican tail case

15K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  twistedthrottle 
#1 ·
Hey guys. First post here; I just got this brand new 2012 KLR a week ago. Im already modifying it. :)
I bought a OD green Pelican 1520 case that I plan to mount to the tail of my KLR. The only problem is, there isn't much info out there on how to go about doing this. I found a tutorial on how to mount one to a '07 and older KLR, but the 2nd Gen KLR has a different tail mount.
After a couple draft IPAs in the garage, I'm thinking of drilling holes through the tail mount in four places, then sliding bolts though the pelican and the mount and having female nuts on the back side to secure the pelican case.
Reference the photo below. Where the four bolts are sitting on the tail mount is approx. where I plan to drill the holes.

Ok, someone please tell me how to post a picture here.

What do you guys think of this plan? Is anyone else out there done this, or something similar? I'm open to other options. The thing is, there are only 4 8mm bolts attaching the tail mount, and the two near the seat (forward) wont be able to attach to the pelican case because I want the case mounted far enough back that I will still be able to remove my seat without removing the pelican case. One other thing I thought of with my plan, is, that when I wipe out on the bike, if the pelican case gets hit and rips the bolts out/breaks them, it won't effect the 4 8mm bolts (or the 2 allen bolts) that are there for the structural strength of the tail mount.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome Outdoort!
First you must have posted 15 times before you can post a pic. It's an anti spam thing. Keeps the site spam free.
I have Pelican cases on my 2011. I went with the quick release mounting brackets from SW Motec. This requires a steel top rack also by SW Motec. You can find the pieces on the Twisted Throttle website. It is not a cheap way to go but it enables the case to be removed very easily when needed. I can pull up to a motel and remove the cases in seconds.
If you don't want the quick release function, drill away and use some large diameter "fender washers" to spread the load over a larger area in the case.
Campfire, an other inmate , made a larger plate for his rear rack which you can see by clicking on this http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/rack1.jpg/
Regards....justjeff

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
The best solution that we offer is a SW-MOTECH Steel Toprack and Twisted Throttle Pelican Adapter System. Since you already have a case you need to order is:

1. The hardware system alone
  2. The Steel Toprack for the KLR (2nd Gen) to snap it into.

This setup allows you to lock the case to the bike and then grab it to take with you.

Here is how it goes onto the case:

The Complete Hardware Kit or "System":

The hardware in the image above below the "hoop" attaches to the Steel Toprack and locks the case to the bike with the included lock cylinder.

The only possible snafu in this set-up is the dimensions of the case. The "hoop" needs a minimum area of 10.5" wide by 12" tall of flat space to mount to. I do not have the dimensions of the 1520.....

I hope this helps.

Kevin

#5 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the responses and the suggestions. Looks like SW motech is all anyone's got suggested so far. I looked at it online and seems like it would be a nice setup. Not really wanting to spend another $130 though.
What I've decided is to bolt the pelican on the stock rack myself. I've bought all stainless hardware from lowes and I'm gonna attempt this tonight. I'll see if I can take some photos of what I've done so after I have 15 posts I can show everyone. Would it be rude to post 15 dumb things in my own thread? :LaughHard:

#6 ·
No, throw up a dozen posts. No one will mind.

As for mounting, for $75 I will send you some zip-ties and gorilla tape. It IS a KLR after all. :)

Reactions: blushovl
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.